Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bands whose songs sound the same (to you)

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

But I like the Beatles. I just think most of thier songs sound the same. It's like one of them rolls of all-cherry Life Savers, they're all the same but it's still good.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Hip-hop music sound the same to me..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Blackbird and Come Together = the same?

And I'll note that I said -new- Metallica. Sure, they do have a new sound, and it sucks.

Banned

Originally posted by Emerald Aeris
    And I'll note that I said -new- Metallica. Sure, they do have a new sound, and it sucks.
    But this thread is about bands not albums.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Just because they didn't change their name to Sucky Metallica doesn't mean they didn't become a different band after a certain period.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by Emerald Aeris
    Marilyn Manson
    I wasn't going to defend Manson, but I see that a bunch of people are doing that to other bands sooo....

I will give you that if you listen to MOST of Manson's mainstream songs, there are similar patterns in the way the songs are played (espeically "the beautiful people" and "disposable teens", but that was done on purpose because three of Manson's albums connect). However, all of Manson's albums as a whole are extremely different from one another. Most notably "Mechanical Animals" and "The Golden Age of Grotesque".

So yeah, that was my little fact of the day.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thank you for saying that, Sephex. Marilyn Manson being mentioned as someone whose music all sounds the same definitely needed defending. Of course, I guess that is an understandable statement coming from anyone who rarely listens to the music. He's different not only in his music, but also in his presentation of the music.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Originally posted by Del Murder
    The Beatles. *runs*
    *does not know where to start*

Theire music is the most diverse compared to everything that I've ever heard. They have slow songs, fast songs, 4 talented musicians and none of their albums had no hits on 'em. Sure, a lot of their first songs were aboot love and stuff, but they were still awsome. Take Seargent Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band...find 2 songs that sound the same on that.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    Just because they didn't change their name to Sucky Metallica doesn't mean they didn't become a different band after a certain period.
    Everyday my love for you grows.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Abominatrix... you are from Riverside. That is crazy. I'm from Moreno Valley.

For the most part, any band that fits into a style and tries to play that style continually is going to sound similar. People say all Bad Religion songs sound the same, their answer is "it's Bad Religion, it's supposed to sound that way." Bands make a sound for themselves and then play that. I don't think that there's anything at all wrong with that. Of course their has to be expansion of ideas and development of musical and vocal skill over the years, but a band doesn't have to be a punk band one day a ska band the next and a hardcore band after that.

And any style of music sounds the same to an outside observer. When I first started listening to hardcore, I hated it and my complaint was that it all sounds the same. Now that I listen to it more I can tell the differences between everything, but that doesn't mean someone who doesn't listen to it can.

The only place where there is really constant change (and this isn't even true all the time) is in the indie rock scene. Bands just trying to do different stuff all the time.

Cursive owns.

Originally posted by TheAbominatrix
    Blink 182. Their slower songs not so much, but everything else sounds exactly the same to me.
    "Lets go
    I know
    Show
    Always"

- Generic Blink 182 song

P.S. Muse, always screechy high voices and twangly silly guitars, much detestment. ESPECIALLY Absolution.

Just because a band's songs sound a lot alike doesn't make them automatically bad (see the Strokes, Marilyn Manson). Also, just because a band sucks doesn't mean all their songs sound the same. Blink 182. Maybe. I feel like defending them because they supported my grade 9 dance career. Let's face it, NO band's songs sound -exactly- a like.

More on Manson, yeah, sorry, I don't see how you can not see an extremely similar style in all of his songs (that I've heard, which is a lot, albeit not all). Even my friends who really like him admit a lot of his stuff is similar. It doesn't mean he sucks. If this was a "bands who suck" thread, I wouldn't mention him. But different in presentation? He shocks in gothic mode. Hard guitars. Disturbing lyrics/images. One or two different songs don't change that.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I find Blink 182's songs to be extremely similar. I dunno about their new stuff, but back in high school when they came on the radio during lunch, my friends and I would hold contests to see who could correctly guess the song, because the intros were so so much alike. Maybe not to a fan, but certainly to a casual listener.

And IGN64skanker, I'm sorry. Heh, Moreno Valley kinda sucks, I have to go there a lot. My dad's girlfriend lives there.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Created Eyes on Final Fantasy
    • Former Administrator

It's easy, also, for a singer with a distinct voice to make all of a bands songs sound the same.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think the Beatles sound the same on every song but I still don't like them very much.