Thread: Too many 5 1/4" connectors?

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin Too many 5 1/4" connectors?

I have 2 CDroms, 2 HDD, and *potentially* 6 spaces for fans (well 5, but until I get a new PSU it's 6). If I wanted it my way, the fans would be all powered by those 5 1/4" power connectors that come out of the PSU.

I'm currently out of spare 5 1/4" connectors. I have 2 CDroms, 2 HDD, and 4 fans running, which excludes the processor/vid card fans (so 3 fans and the PSU fan). I have no spare 5 1/4" power connector for some reason, so I'm thinking of buying a Y-splitter -- it takes a 5 1/4" connector and splits it into two connectors.

I have a 400 W PSU -- so two questions: 1) is it okay to be doing this to one extra fan, and 2) when and if I buy the two extra fans (making it 3 extra fans running instead of one), should I invest in the 500 W PSU?

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I can't answer your questions, but I have another couple to add/think about. Can you add the Y splitter and still get enough power to the other devices? Is all of the hardware able to support this?

It's just that this sounds like when you put a six way adapter on a plug in your house, then another three adapter plug on one of those six, and you end up blowing a fuse because you're using too much power. Just don't want your computer to get fried.
    Figaro Castle

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't really know why you want so many fans in there (which also explains why you've run out of power connectors, really) - if you have to, just use one deskfan instead Works great for me, my video card's survived over a year now with it's broken fan and only the deskfan cooling it instead, and it's still going
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

It looks cool xD /reason