Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The NBA at this point

Default The NBA at this point

Call me a bit biased, because I love the Mavs more than probably any other non-affiliated to the team person alive. However, watching the Mavs game against the Spurs today just hurts me inside. And call me a sore loser, but this has just gotten horrendous.

The officiating in this game was the worst I have ever seen. EVER. And that includes the Kings-Lakers series of two years ago. Even my friend, who is actually a Spurs fan, apologized to me, because my team was being discriminated against. THAT must mean something.

I mean, come on. Bruce Bowen, who has a reputation around the league of being dirty (he has purposely injured Ray Allen and Vince Carter...though that doesn't take much), at midcourt, probably at Gregg Popovich's will, just shoved Michael Finley. Blatanly. No reason at all to do it. Despite the fact that Finley was the only person scoring for the Mavs in the quarter. And, like every other person would do, Finley shoves Bowen back. Trying to protect himself. And what happens? Finley is assessed a flagrant foul and ejected. Don Nelson complains about the call, and gets two technical fouls, and is ejected. At that point the lead for the Spurs was 28, due to the other horrible officiating. I'm not saying the Mavericks would have been winning at that point, but the game should NOT have been 28 points.

Anyway, the Mavs, without their team captain and emotional leader in the fourth quarter, came back to within 5 at 95-90, but ended up losing 113-100. But I think this is a huge statement game about the Mavs. They were being discriminated against, and they still overcame that and almost won.

But anyway, now for the point of this thread. There are other dirty players in the league like Bruce Bowen. Shaq is one. There are others (Ron Artest, etc.). Now, the NBA currently is the second-most watched sport in America, behind the NFL, which is leaps and bounds ahead. The NBA chooses to allow these dirty players to continue to act this way. Bruce Bowen has never gotten suspended, as far as I know. Shaq hasn't. Artest has, I'll say that. But admit it: you would rather see a game 120-119 than a first-to-80 wins. If the NBA really wants to promote a market for its product, and make this game enjoyable, why do they allow these monsters of defense to act this way? These players are bad for the NBA. It's the last thing they need; the NBA already has enough problems on its hands. But why do they choose to not do anything about it?

This is a big venting of frustration, because I love this team to death, and this Tim Duncan-less Spurs team should NOT have won this game. The refs chose, or didn't choose, I don't know, to have the Spurs win. I get Spurs fans to say that. That surely means something.

Please, post comments, directly relating to the original question of why doesn't the NBA do anything about these disgusting players. Also, including things about officiating, and the nature of it. The players of the teams that get all the calls, namely the Lakers, even admit that officiating decides the outcome of most games (Shaq cussed out the refs on national TV). It seems obvious.

[/vent]

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm at least mildly sure that the NBA has some games rigged through the refereeing. The NBA tries to give its favored teams a small but strong leg up through favorable foul calling.

WOW! You're the first person to agree with me, besides a few Spurs fans, and my friend.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

this also came up in the Lakers-Kings playoff maybe two years ago. The Kings should have won but the refs gave game 6 away to the Lakers. I think that's what happened. I don't really follow the NBA because of things like this.

I wouldn't follow the NBA, because I hate their system for everything, but I just fell in love with everything about the Mavs, so I can't help but be obsessed with them.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

As a Kings fan I may be biased, but I think that it was pretty blatant that that game 6 was given to LA. I think the NBA wants the best TV revenue possible, and they know that Los Angeles draws the hot ticket. The Kings lost game 7 on their own, but without those calls in game 6 they would have been in the finals.

The commish was on Craig Kilborn during all-star weekend and he asked about Shaq and the foul calls he gets. 'He's a hard player to officiate', that's what he said, he pretty much took no stance. I think Shaq is hard to officiate but he draws big money for the league and if they called all the contact he initiates he wouldn't be useful on the court, and therefore not useful to the NBA. To their credit, they're pretty consistent on giving him the benefit of the doubt, so teams just need to figure out a way to work around that (Yao has done a good job a few times).

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

The Kings and Mavs may be rivals (to some degree), but I like the Kings a lot. They understand that there is an 'o' and not 'd' in the word 'champion.' And that there's an 'o' in 'money.'

Articles
    Contributions
    • Created Eyes on Final Fantasy
    • Former Administrator

The NBA changed the freaking rules just to limit Shaq more. Most of the time he doesn't get the foul calls, because you have to commit a flagrent foul just to equal a typical foul. Officiating is biased against Shaq.

Despite the fact that on just about every possession, he lowers his shoulder and charges into his defender, and it never gets called? Despite the fact that in the playoffs, the refs put the fouls on other players to keep him from fouling out?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, it may be just a coincidence and we're all paranoid, but it's too much of a coincidence for me. When the defensive player establishes position and an offensive player knocks him over, that's a foul, right? If so, Shaq does that about half the time he gets the ball.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

It goes the same thing for other officiating mistakes - I understand that refs can make bad calls, but it's the timing of them and the consistency of them. Like the Lakers-Nuggets game. What are the chances that the whistle would blow inadvertantly when it was obvious that it touched the rim, giving the LAKERS, the NBA's lovable little child (meaning the league offices, not the rest of the league), a chance to win. Of course, they took advantage of that, but it's still TOO much of a coincidence.

EDIT: The league offices are closed on the weekends. We won't know if Finley or Bowen will be suspended for the altercation.
    Last edited by Kirobaito; 03-07-2004 at 07:39 AM.

There's some officials that shouldn't be officiating. Mainly those over 60. Like Jerry Kearse.

But most fans are bitter without watching the whole game. I mean San Antonio didn't have Tim Duncan and they managed to blow Dallas out(it doesn't matter that they came back, they shouldn't have been down 28 anyways).

If your team is so good, these close calls shouldn't be a factor...but alas, they're not.

I'm not a Spurs fan, but after watching the game...I don't much from it. I mean the Mavs were down 28 for Christ's sake, they shouldn't be down 28 against the Duncan-less Spurs. Although there are some officiating mistakes, it's only 1 out of 100 calls that really gets people upset. I would say, just get over it. If your team is truly much better, then officiating shouldn't be a factor anyways.

The Lakers are MUCH better than the Raptors. The Raptors beat the Lakers, and people complained about the officiating.

Like I said, if an official doesn't make 100% of the "right" calls, the league gets blasted. It's only the select few bad calls that makes sour grapes.

Referees in the league are at times more than 98% accurate. When calls don't go against your team, people don't complain...when they go against your team, people complain.

I remember Duke beating Maryland plenty of times in close games(most memorable was that 10 point 1 minute collapse Maryland had against Duke 2 years ago), and I thought the officiating was bad, but as I looked closer at the games, Duke was just the better team.

So like I said, 1 or 2 calls that the refs get wrong has people jumping out of their seats and demanding their jobs, but the other 99 or 98 calls that refs call right goes unnoticed.

Actually, in the Spurs-Mavs game specifically, it was about 20-30 calls that got me upset. Just ask my mom. And the wall with the hole in it.