Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The NBA at this point

I was speaking in general. It's only one game. I saw a good portion of the game to know that the calls weren't that bad. But the referees did a pretty good job...it's just that San Antonio walked all over Dallas.

When the refs call THAT physical of game, it's obvious that San Antonio is favored. They allowed way too much contact. Instead of making up their own opinion of what a foul is, call what the league says a foul is. See, calling that physical of a game will only lead to conflict, as it did, with Finley and Bowen. After that the refs began to call the game as it was, instead of ALLOWING the Spurs to push and shove and rape Dallas live. After that the Mavs dominated the Spurs.

I've thought the refs have been calling biased for a long time. Between that and what I see as a decline in player quality, I've had almost no incentive to watch the NBA since Jordan retired. Which is a shame, because basketball used to be my favourite sport to watch.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Back From The Dead Recognized Member Nino Brown's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just another reason why NCAA > NBA.

Originally posted by King Bahamut
    When the refs call THAT physical of game, it's obvious that San Antonio is favored. They allowed way too much contact. Instead of making up their own opinion of what a foul is, call what the league says a foul is. See, calling that physical of a game will only lead to conflict, as it did, with Finley and Bowen. After that the refs began to call the game as it was, instead of ALLOWING the Spurs to push and shove and rape Dallas live. After that the Mavs dominated the Spurs.
    Weren't you the same guy in chat that said San Antonio only won last year because of Nowitski's injury? If so, then I could say Dallas only won because of Chris Webber's injury.

But regardless, San Antonio won and won big time. I'm not a Spurs fan, I'm a Wizards fan(sadly), but what I saw from the game, San Antonio whooped Dallas big time. It doesn't matter what Dallas did for the next few minutes, it doesn't equate up to an entire game.

But yes, NCAA basketball is more enjoyable to watch. The only collegiate sport more entertaining than it's pro counterpart.

You misquote me slightly, Dingo. I said that the series would have been a lot closer with Nowitzki in. And I did also say that Sacramento could have very well won with Webber. There is a slight difference, though. Ginoboli caused Dirk's injury, by sliding his foot under Dirk's. Webber simply blew out his own knee. I'm not sure that means anything, but just to state.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I said it at the beginning of the season and I'll say it again: Cleveland is going to make the playoffs.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Sacramento is the best team because if you take away their best player (Webber) they are still a good team (hell, they held the best record for a good long while without him). Los Angeles is the only other good team you could argue this for, but I personally think without Shaq LA sucks. Dallas won in that series last year because Van Exel is a streaky shooter and caught fire at the right time. That guy was smokin. Won't happen again though because Sac has the best talent and the best depth and I think only a healthy Lakers or a very hot Minnesota can take them out.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Last time I checked Dallas beat Sacto at their place and ours, albeit it was without Predrag at ARCO, but you were as healthy as Sacto will ever get in Dallas. They may be talented, but they're pansies. It doesn't matter how much talent, but if you're not tough enough to keep from injury, it doesn't make one difference in the world.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

You may have a point. Dallas is a very streaky team and I only see tham as a contender if they end really hot, like Minnesota, but I think Minnesota's better. We'll see come May. Dallas-Sac would be another great series because it would undoubtedly be a shootout against two great offenses.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I loved that series last season. I still have every game taped. I watch them sometimes. I loved the one where it was 44-40 after 1 quarter, and then 83-62 at halftime. Now THAT'S basketball.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sorry to break it to you fellas, but Dallas is not going anywhere. Offense may win games, but defense wins championships. They don't play any defense. Just going out and trying to outscore your opponents is a fine philosophy for the regular season, but playoff basketball is an entirely different game.

Yeah, no way Dallas wins the title this year. The West has too many high powered teams. I still consider Dallas the 5th best team in the conference. The 2nd round in the west is where Dallas will be bounced. They can score 120 points, but they give up like 135.

Either Sacramento or San Antonio wins this year...Minnesota next year. I'd actually be shocked if LA wins this year. But Dallas won't win it, that much I guarantee. Well, Dallas could win if Minnesota loses KG, LA loses Shaq, Sac loses Web, and San-Antonio loses Duncan, then yeah...that's Dallas' title to win then.

Originally posted by Nino Brown
    Just another reason why NCAA > NBA.
    Yes, I'm beginning to think this as well.

And for you opposers of strong defense: shame. Which is harder to get: a good block or a flashy dunk? a 3-pointer or a steal that leads to a fast break?

Sure, offense is great, but defense is where it's at.

[q=Nino Brown]Sorry to break it to you fellas, but Dallas is not going anywhere. Offense may win games, but defense wins championships. They don't play any defense. Just going out and trying to outscore your opponents is a fine philosophy for the regular season, but playoff basketball is an entirely different game.[/q]

Maybe I should tell you this: <3

I know good and well that Dallas won't win the title this year, but the point of basketball is entertainment. I wanna see entertaining basketball, and Detroit and San Antonio's styles of basketball are quite frankly as BORING AS HELL. I would much rather see Dallas lose in a shoot-em-up high-scoring, high-flying affair than win 85-69, as Detroit did a few nights ago.