Thread: The Best of Pink Floyd

Articles

The Best of Pink Floyd

I've been getting into Pink Floyd recently and I wanted some opinions from all of you on some of your favorite Pink Floyd Albums they have come up with.

Personally I have only entirely listened to Wish You Were Here, and Dark Side of the Moon. I was contemplating on whether to continue following up on some albums and I wanted some suggestions.

What are some of your favorite Pink Floyd albums, and state some favorite songs from each.

I like every song on Wish You Were Here, with just a bit moreinterest in 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond(Pts 1-5)' and 'Welcome to the Machine' than the others.

In DSotM, I have taking a liking to most of the songs including Breathe, Time, Us and Them, Any Colour You Like, Brain Damage, and Eclipse.

Pink Floyd is my favourite band EVER!!!

I have the following albums (Vinyl and CD form):

-Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    -A Saucerful of Secrets
    -The Delicate Sound of Thunder
    -Obscured by Clouds
    -Atom Heart Mother
    -Live at Pompeii
    -Meddle
    -Pulse
    -Ummagumma
    -Dark Side of the Moon
    -Animals
    -Wish You Were Here
    -The Wall
    -The Wall, Live
    -The Final Cut
    -The Division Bell
    -A Momentary Lapse of Reason
    -Echoes

DSOTM is by far my favourite album, but Comfortably Numb is my favourie song. As for other songs that top them all. It'd take forever for me to list all my favourite songs form each album, so if you have any specific questions I'll be sure to answer them.

As for suggestions...
    -The Wall...the most famous album in my opinion.
    -The Meddle...has a big variety of music on it.
    -The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (Their first album, full of awsome psychedelic songs)

I have also went to one of their concerts in 1994, and have 5 teeshirts, 4 posters, 8 pins, 2 movies including The Wall among other collectable stuff.

Articles

Thanks for your suggestions. So what albums do you think are some of the better ones?

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Get <i>The Wall 20th Anniversary CD</i>. Get <i>Meddle</i>. Get <i>The Final Cut</i>, despite what people may say. Get <i>Atom Heart Mother</i>. Basically, get all their stuff up up until <i>The Final Cut</i>. <i>A Momentary Lapse of Reason</i> and <i>The Division Bell</i> are alright, but not worth buying if you don't have their other previous albums. <i>Echoes</i> and <i>Pulse</i> are a good place to start though.

Best songs:

Time, The Trial, The Gunner's Dream, Us and Them.

Mother and Comfortably Numb are good, but I've listened to them too many times.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

<font color="#009999">
    I'd have to recommend against listening to The Trial if you haven't heard the rest of The Wall. You'll probably just think "wtf is going on here?" without listening to it within the context of the album.

So far I've got The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here. All of them are excellent. I need to get some more, though.

Ignore Yams - The Final Cut sucks.

Anyway, I have all of the original studio albums - no remakes or greatest hits or live ones or anything.

Basically, anything in the Barret or Waters eras is good, except for The Final Cut. Ummagumma is kind of weird, though. And like Yams said, A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell aren't as good. I'd go with Meddle, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and The Wall, since you've already listened to Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon.

White Raven: There's one <i>more</i> you forgot ;D

Articles

Interesting, thanks for the input.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

My brother doesn't like The Final Cut either, but it's good, really. Waters had the songs ready in 1978, and wanted to put them on The Wall album, but the rest of the guys didn't like them and so he waited until 1983 (was it?) and released The Final Cut. Both were very political albums, but The Wall was more experimental, more Pink Floyd. That's why most people don't like The Final Cut.

Listen to The Gunner's Dream, The Fletcher Memorial Home, and Two Suns in the Sunset. All good songs.

Doomgaze, which one?
    More, Zabriskie Point, A Collection Of Great Dance Songs, Works or P.U.L.S.E.?

Because I don't have those but I'm trying to find them ><

White Raven's Pink Floyd pick of the day: Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

Articles

My Pink Floyd pick of the day: The Trial.

I started to downloaded a few songs from The Wall like The Trial, Comfortably Numb, and Another Brick in the Wall part 2, and I like what I'm hearing.

Hah... Pink Floyd is brilliant.

Something sort of side topic here... at school today, I brougth Dark Side of the Moon to play during Gym class (we can bring in music to play while we play volleyball). I managed to convince my female teacher to withhold turning the thing off but once it got to the (amazing !!! ) guitar solo during Time, she turns it off. Damn, it sucked. She has no attention span, she insisted that people need to be singing more. Yeah, ok, whatever. I brought the CD in the first place because my male gym teacher is a PF fan. But he didn't do anything. Just told me it wasn't worth it, most people don't understand the music anyways. Especially a bunch of teenagers (our school is mostly populated by punks, homies, and airheads).

Sigh.

If you're going to get songs from The Wall get them ALL! And listen to them in order to hear a magnificent story!

White Raven's Pink Floyd pick of the day: One of These Days

Articles

That's my plan.