Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wrestlemania XX ( Possible spoilers)

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Bret only wants to go out there and thank the fans, thats why he must be there...
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well I went 7-5 but I did pick the two title matches.

Match of the night: Jericho/Christian was good except the ending, and Eddie/Angle was well done too, but the main event really delivered and stole the show. Good to see Benoit finally get his due! What do you have to say now AB?

Stink of the night: Goldberg/Lesnar. Why did it take them so long to even do anything? I have less respect for these two guys now, and looks like the fans heard the same rumor about Lesnar to NFL. He would fail so badly there, the NFL is tough.

Disappointment of the night: I would have liked to see the cruiserweight open get more time as most of those guys can really fly. I go nuts for the cruiserweights.

Comeback of the night: Undertaker needs to grow his hair longer before he can pull off the dead man stuff, but it was cool to see the tombstone and the oldschool pin and Paul with the urn. Of course now this means he'll squash everybody so that'll get boring.

Move of the night: Benoit getting thrown into the Smackdown table.

Moment of the night: Benoit and Guererro embracing at the end. It was great to see two guys who have worked their asses off finally get their time to shine as the Wrestlemania champions!

Overall it was a decent show, but I've seen better Wrestlemanias.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Default Re: Wrestlemania XX ( Possible spoilers)

Originally posted by Del Murder
    Match of the night: Jericho/Christian was good except the ending, and Eddie/Angle was well done too, but the main event really delivered and stole the show. Good to see Benoit finally get his due! What do you have to say now AB?

For the second straight month, WWE put me in full blown mark out mode with the winner of the PPV main event. Last month it was Eddie Guerrero, this month it was Chris Benoit. And for me, it meant more because I've been a Benoit fan ever since I first saw him in WCW. I saw him never really get the proper respect over there, and I remember him winning the World title there, only to leave WCW the next day due to issues with the new head booker.

Then he had to struggle in WWE, and came close to winning the title on a few occasions but never really got it. And I never, ever expected Benoit to walk into the Wrestlemania main event (which is likely to be the biggest match of his career) and walk out with the strap around his waist. It was a thing of beauty to see happen.

And I'm not going to take back the things I said before regarding Triple H because a lot of it is more fact than fiction. But for this night, I give Triple H a ton of credit for putting over Benoit in the Garden in the middle of the ring by submitting to the Crossface. It was the biggest way he could've put over Benoit, so I appluad him for that.

Other PPV thoughts:

<b><u>World Title Match</b></u>:
    Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Benoit (winner)

Great match, and dare I say it, match of the night. I loved MSG being behind Benoit the entire time and even booing HBK at a couple of points. There was no doubt from the New York crowd as to who they wanted to see walk out with the title. I also heard that they gave Benoit a standing olvation after the PPV went off the air when Benoit's wife and children came into the ring to celebrate. I wish I had seen that, but hopefully it will be on the Wrestlemania XX DVD.

<u><b>WWE Women's Title Match</b></u>
    Victoria (winner) vs. Molly Holly

It's a shame the crowd wasn't behind the women in this match, because it was a good match. The only bad thing is Molly getting her head shaved. Damn, that woman is a trooper.

<b><u>World Tag Team Titles Match</u></b>
    Booker T & RVD (winners) vs. Jindrak & Cade vs. La Resistance vs. The Dudley Boyz

Essentially a match to get eight guys on the PPV. The match was a throw away, but it did have good action. RVD and Booker T retained, and that's the way it should've been in this match.

<b><u>WWE Tag Team Championship</u></b>
    Scotty 2 Hotty & Rikishi (winners) vs. APA vs. Basham Bros. vs. SPWGTT

Definitely even more of a throw away than the other. I was rooting for either of the heel teams to win because I don't like the APA nor do I like Rikishi and Scotty. Oh well, they retained anyway. Just one note though, please stop showing close-ups of Rikishi's ass. No one wants to see that.

<b><u>WWE Title Match</u></b>
    Eddie Guerrero (winner) vs. Kurt Angle

The crowd ate this match up, and the two men delivered in every way. The match was great and was the match of the night until the main event. Props to both men, and props to whoever thought of the ending of that match. That was just brilliant. I definitely won't mind seeing this feud continue for the next few months.

<b><u>WWE US Title Match</u></b>
    The Big Show vs. John Cena (winner)

A typical match with the Big Show with him having most of the offense. I could rag on the Big Show, but he's been very good for the past couple of months. Props to Cena for lifting a 500lb man on his shoulders not once, but twice. Damn.

<b><u>WWE Cruiserweight Open Title Match</u></b>

It was unfortunate this got so little time. I would gladly done without either fatal four way tag match to get more time in this one. Rey gets screwed, Chavo retains which I'm happy about. Thing to note in this match, Kidman damn near wrecking himself with the shooting star press to the outside. I think he drove his head directly into the chest of Jamie Knoble. No wonder he always gets hurt.

<b><u>Evening Gown Match</u></b>
    Torrie Wilson & Sable vs. Stacy Keibler & Miss Jackie

Typical bra and panties match. Tazz was hilarious calling commentary.

<b>Special Guest Ref: Steve Austin</b>
    Brock Lesnar vs. Goldberg

Damn. The MSG crowd was brutal in this match. Lesnar got the "you sold out" chant and the "hey hey goodbye chant." The NYC crowd made their feelings known to both these guys. In fact, Austin was the only one to get cheered during the actual match. Goldberg wins with the jackhammer, Lesnar gives the finger to the crowd and Austin, Lesnar gets a stunner, Goldberg drinks beer then gets a stunner. Thank you both men for your work, but Austin just stunned you out of the WWE.

<b>Rock'n'Sock Connection ( The Rock and Mick Foley) vs. Evolution( Randy Orton, Batista, & Ric Flair)</b>

To be quite honest, I'm not all that surprised WWE gave Orton the pin on Foley in this one. Foley has always been one to put over upcoming talent, and he did so in a major way with Orton. I'm liking Orton more and more, but he still needs to be a little more seasoned. He's actually quite similar to the Rock. The Rock had a huge push which he wasn't ready for, but he grew into it. Orton is doing the same thing. I'm looking for a one on one between Orton and Foley at Backlash because nothing was really resolved. And as a side note, did it seem like the Rock was having a ball last night or what? And how about he and Flair's interaction with one another. I'd love to see those two go out in the future.

<b>The Undertaker vs. Kane</b>

I'm still undecided on the Undertaker's look. I realize there was no way his hair could've grown very long in four months, but I think he should have at least come out in his old outfit. He's basically the same character as he left, only he's doing a couple deadman mannerisms.

<b>Chris Jericho vs. Christian</b>

Jericho lost his Wrestlemania match for the third straight year. These two had an excellent match. True, there was one botched spot when Jericho dropped Christian on the ropes, but it wasn't a brutal screwup and almost looked like it was intentional. The big thing was seeing Trish turn heel, which I liked because she's been doing the same thing two or three years now, so it'll be refreshing to see her as a heel. Besides, they needed a balance since Victoria is basically a face now.

All in all, it wasn't the best Wrestlemania but it will be a personal favorite of mine only because of seeing Benoit winning the big one. I liked the Hall of Famers coming out and getting the respect the rightfully deserve. And how about Bobby Heenan playing up the crowd when the chanted 'weasel.' Oh, and I agree with him during the video package of the hall of fame presentations when he said the only thing that could've made it better was if Monsoon (Gorilla Monsoon) was still there. It almost made me cry. And props to Vince McMahon coming out and just humbly thanking the crowd for supporting him and his company. That was very well done, and props for him being the only McMahon on the show in any capacity and it only lasting a few minutes. I give credit to Vince for not having a lot of backstage stuff going on. He let his talent have the spotlight, and they all busted their humps last night. My only hope is that Vince keeps up this trend of pushing guys who deserve it.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

What's a heel?

A couple of things really surprised me: Eddie's boot coming off, and Benoit and HHH doing a flip into the middle of the ring, and Benoit keeps the crippler cross-face on. Oh and seeing Paul Bearer (?) again brought back much memories.

Very nice WM

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Heel means bad guy.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

and over means that they are hot at the moment and if they got juice then they bled well in the match

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

My personal thoughts are as follows. Note: You might see a lot of moaning in this post, but I think you'll agree, it's rightly deserved.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love WWE. I've been watching the show for exactly ten years now, and it still fills me with excitement and makes me get out of my chair whenever I'm watching a main-event calibre match. The first match I ever saw was the phenomenal ladder match between Razor Ramon (Scott Hall) and HBK Shawn Michaels all the way back at Wrestlemania X, and the magic still stays with me. I sat down to watch Wrestlemania XX with my expectations set very, very high, and I think...well, I think I was expecting far too much. For me, the WWE didn't deliver in it's usual WM way. Although WM was great, and it delivered some top class matches that were worthy of a PPV, it didn't feel like a 'big four' supercard event to me. It just felt...ordinary.

John Cena vs The Big Show (United States Championship)
    What a way to start off a PPV, and I don't mean that in a good sense, Cena is super-over with the crowd, but it's not fair to subject any crowd to a Big Show match after the opening segment of the show. The opening match is designed to warm up the crowd with faced paced action, and in this role, Cena and Show didn't deliver. Although I'm pleased that Cena won (and perhaps he can restore some prestige and dignity to the US title), the match itself was quite a bore, and it wasn't WM calibre.

Dudley Boyz v La Resistance v Cade/Jindrak v Booker T/RVD (World Tag Team Championship)
    I'm happy that RVD got to be a part of Wrestlemania this year, but this match really stunk up the place. Although the teams tried their best to entertain the fans, the building wasn't exactly on fire for the contest - and why should they have been? Hardly any hype was built up for this one, RVD and Booker have been a team for less than a month, the Dudleyz are as stale as three year old bread and Jindrak/Cade and La Resistance...well, they suck. Absolute crap.

Chris Jericho v Christian
    I actually predicted the outcome of this match to my WM watching buddy just before it started. For some reason, I could see Trish turning on Jericho to side with Christian. The match itself was excellent, and reminded me that WM could be saved from boring matches like the opener and the tag team farce. Jericho hit some excellent moves, and Christian hit some even better ones - including a very nasty looking spiked DDT (which looked a lot like the Edgecution). These two guys always pull out the stops for WM, as we could all tell from this match. Top quality stuff.

Evolution v Rock 'n' Sock Connection
    The idea of Foley coming back to WWE was for him to put someone over - in a really big way. He's managed to do this so far in his feud with young Randy Orton. Randy has the talent (no doubt), and he's an excellent in-ring competitor, so I was glad to see him take the three count. His RKO reversal was amazing and completely unexpected, and Mick made Orton look like a 'million bucks' by taking it so well. Rock and Flair also entered excellent performances in this match, working the crowd up to no end. Batista was a big pile of crap (as usual), but that was to be expected. All in all, a very enjoyable match with a satisfactory outcome.

Torrie/Sable v Miss Jackie/Stacy
    I really enjoyed this match. The luche libre style reversals and counter-reversals were phenomenal, and the technical ability of these fine atheletes was apparent in this classic encounter. Okay, so it wasn't that great in terms of ring quality, but seeing these girls in sunset flip and surfboard position was...pretty damn good.

Cruiserweight Open
    Good, but far too rushed. What really ruined the match for me was my favourite Ultimo Dragon making a complete arse out of himself, as you can see from the tape (if you recorded the event). As he was making his entrance, he slipped on his cape and nearly fell on his backside. He then looked at his cape in disgust and tried to rescue his character from the jeers and laughs he was receiving by lifting up his arms in a vain attempt to gain some applause. Then, as he entered the ring, his foot slipped on the turnbuckle as he tried to climb the top rope for his pose. Then, he failed to land on his feet during a routine in the match (with Jamie Noble) and nearly flew out of the ring. Ultimo Dorkface would have been a more appropriate name for this idiot tonight. Ultimo has always said that 'his dream match would be at MSG'. Well, he had his match, and he totally screwed it up. Aside from Ultimo's hilarious f00k up, the match itself was alright. Some exchanges were very good, and the finish was good, too. Chavo retaining is the best thing that can be done for the division at the moment.

Goldberg v Lesnar
    I had no idea Brock was leaving to pursue a career in football. I only found out when my friend (who was watching WM with me and was under strict instructions not to spoil the match) was forced to explain to me why the MSG crowd was chanting 'YOU SOLD OUT!' in the direction of Lesnar. All in all, this match was the worst of the night. Lesnar and Goldberg couldn't be bothered, their exchanges were pathetic, the crowd had fun with them, and the 'BOOOOORING!' chants were echoing throughout the building. It's nothing more than these two selfish, pathetic fools deserve. Goldberg does indeed suck, and Lesnar leaving WWE after years of them building him up is a sign of stupidity and selfishness. I'm glad Austin stunnered them both. Now, Lesnar can piss off to football, and Golberg can get the hell out of the WWE and back to Japan. Bastards.

Basham Brothers v Scotty/Rikishi v APA v World's Greatest Tag Team (WWE Tag Team Championship)
    Another boring waste of time. As much as I love TSPWGTT, they couldn't pull a decent match out of these three other teams even if they tried. Rikishi/Scotty are awful champions (who've been doing the same ridiculous dance routines for years, and with less and less crowd response each time), the APA are just...crap and the Basham's are the most boring team I've ever seen in the business - aside from the Midnight Express. To be honest, I fast-forwarded this bore, and I was disappointed when TSPWGTT didn't win the belts. That fat fool Rikishi somehow retained...

Victoria v Molly Holly (Women's Championship)
    Another WASTE of time. Although these women are good, they didn't deliver a WM quality match. The crowd was pathetic throughout, and nobody even cared about the outcome. Plus, nobody reacted when Molly was having her head shaved. It also took Victoria far too long to do it, and it interfered with the next match up...

Kurt Angle v Eddie Guerrero (WWE Championship)
    Now we're getting back on track. I had very high expectations for this one, and it only disappointed me slightly. If the match had been given more time, it could have been so much better, but it seemed a little rushed. Unfortunately, I think Kurt is on the sidelines again with another neck injury, as has been reported on most of the main Internet Wrestling sites. After the match, he started to feel numbness in his arms and fingers. This could be another huge setback for the olympic gold medalist. The big question is - how many times can he keep coming back? I have to believe that Angle's career may be coming to an end.

Kane v Undertaker
    I was really excited about this one, and it nearly lived up to expectations. I wasn't expecting the match to be amazing by any means, but it wasn't all that bad. Kane did a great job of selling to 'Taker, and the crowd were well into this one. Unfortunately, 'Taker still looked exactly like his American Badass incarnation. The old 'Taker didn't return at all - this is just another weird hybrid of his characters. Nevertheless, I was happy to see him back, and his new (or rather, his old) music rocked.

Benoit v HBK v HHH (World Heavyweight Championship)
    The match of the night, by a huge margin. These men got the crowd to respond to nearly everything they did by the end of the match, and the crowd were in Benoit's corner throughout. An excellent performance (even from HHH, who bumped himself silly for the crowd), and a superbly crafted storyline coming to an end...perhaps. I was ecstatic when Benoit won, and I said to my friend 'This is why I watch wrestling' after the match had finished. And I was right. Once again, Wrestlemania had captured my heart and made me believe in these fine performers once more. This match is why I watch wrestling, and I don't need to say any more than that.

So, in summary:

The Good Points: 'Taker got a huge pop from the crowd, Angle/Eddie was nice to see, Cena took home the US title, Christian got a big push, Goldberg and Lesnar have gone and Benoit finally received his well earned push (and title).

The Bad Points: Not enough build-up for most of the matches, Smackdown/Raw quality matches for the most part of the show, an apathetic and disrespectful New York crowd (what is it with New Yorkers? They're so pathetic and rude...), Angles that didn't seem to mean anything and expectations that were far too high. Ah well, at least Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan weren't on hand for the show.
    Last edited by Rainecloud; 03-16-2004 at 08:44 AM.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"