Thread: Name Me This Anime Film!

Name Me This Anime Film!

Once upon a time, when i was a young lad, i ventured by some sort of chance across an anime movie whose name and specifics i can't remember for the life of me. For a while i assumed it was <i>Ghost in the Shell</i>, but i watched that just tonight and discovered otherwise. And now i simply must know what exactly this movie from my early past <i>was</i>.

i think it was a movie, anyway. As i remember, its setting was somewhere in the future, probably your usual gritty cyberpunk scenario. At any rate, it's become standard practice that folks recieve cybernetic implants or become primarily cyborg or somehow "augment" themselves robotically at a young age. Enter our main character, a child who's about to be sent off for this procedure but, in the name of movie-creating conflict, doesn't want to go. i'm pretty sure most of the movie is about his evasion of the authorities and other such folk who'd like him to follow suit and turn all robot, but i just don't remember.

One image, however, burnt itself onto my mind, and i think it's the primary reason i've remembered this flick for all these years. At some point, i'm pretty sure our young hero meets this female cyborg who decides to help him in his plight, but in the process somehow ends up killed or deactivated or otherwise screwed up from the experience. And as the movie leaves her behind, the camera pans slowly back from her rusted frame sitting against a large pole. i almost want to say it's an industrial catwalk thing, but in any event it's some sort of futuristic structural cylinder jazz. i remember it being a powerful image, and hopefully sits in the mind of at least one other soul who's both at this board and has seen this movie.

i also remember some other, fuzzier shots that i'm pretty sure are from the same film. Near its end, during what i want to say is a big battle, there's a cut cut of some important guy being nicked on the side of the face with a passing bullet. And somewhere more near the middle (maybe?), there's a scene involving the boy's... mother, perhaps, i don't know... in a shower. But then, these two images are more definitive of anime as a whole than of any particular movie.

Hmm. Can anyone help me out? What could cursed flick be? Even suggestions would help me narrow it down.
    Last edited by Meow; 03-13-2004 at 06:56 AM.

(-o-)

-tie fighter

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Im not sure, maybe is "Black Magic M66", is from the same guy that made Ghost in the shell and have a female Cyborg too...
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

i noticed that one on an anime summary site, but it's about a reporter trying to track down some cyborg killing machine. No dice.

(-o-)

-tie fighter

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Felix the Cat

Contributions
    • Hosted EoFF Elections event
    • Contributions to Eizon project

That sounds kinda like a reverse Galaxy Express 999, where a boy in a dystopian future wants to become "mechanic", and, by the grace of some strange fate and prolly some shady organization, gets a train ticket on the GE to a world where people are mechanised for free. It's a series, though, and I saw only the first few episodes on a video when I was a kid. I'd say it's a 70's anime, maybe early 80's.
    Things in it:

A woman who is probably a mechanic, who gives the boy a ticket and accompanies him.
    Oh, and there was a shower scene too.

Crusader Rabbit.
    ('-'*)/ - "sup"

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Nait, that sounds completely the opposite of what he's describing the film =S
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

Contributions
    • Hosted EoFF Elections event
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Originally posted by Spatvark
    Nait, that sounds completely the opposite of what he's describing the film =S

"kinda like a reverse". >:O

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

*shoots self in head for being such a 'tard*
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

Was a lot of the movie based on the kid with a very large hat and poncho? Also was there a train that flew in outer space and all that weird anime stuff?
    This space intentionally left blank.