Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi, I cant thing of anything better to say!

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just think it's a stupid thing to say when referring to stuff like games and game characters because it just doesn't make sense. Tidus is gay? Okay so why did he kiss Yuna? Come on people, if you are going to insult something at least get a better insult than that. :rolleyes2
    rawr

The use of the word in a negative way irritates me. I hear it at school all the time, and online too. And I know that most people who use "gay" to describe something they think sucks aren't even homophobic. They'll hastily tell you that they have gay friends, so it's cool. But they're still attaching a negative connotation to being homosexual.

So yeah, I think that people could definitely make better choices about what words they use. I'm not going to get angry at anyone who uses the word in that way and lecture them about it, but it does bother me.

Makes one wonder why nothing is ever 'lesbian'.
    Hm.

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER

Spiff - then that would bring up why in society it seems that to be a lesbian is fine while being gay isn't. *Shrugs*

I agree completely with Abominatrix on this one. Lately I've found myself to get rather irritated with the, "This is gay!" sort of attitude.
    However, I'm also a hypocrite cause I laugh at it at the same time. I'm not quite sure why I do though.

Perhaps it's more of the fact that people tend to freak out over the issue. I find myself referring to my friend as gay just because he's overly attentive on his manly-ness. I guess it's just amussing seeing him flip out over it.
    . . . I'm double-sided on the issue but I can say that the ussage should be cut down a fair amount here at the boards.
    Do you Wanna Build a Snowman?

-= It doesn't have to be a snowman... =-

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Two options, a) I remove profanity from posts whenever I find it, b) people grow up. So I remove profanity from posts whenever I find it.

. . . and you do a good job at it Unne. I just wish people were decent enough to censor themselves at times, you know?

Opposite of this thread is the term "Straight."

People use "straight" to signify that something is cool, or ok with them.

Yo, I'm gonna head to the car wash now.
    That's straight.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Originally posted by Del Murder
    I don't like when people use the word gay in frustration, but I don't think it's much of an insult anymore. I think the word gay has taken on a third meaning. Just like before it referred to homosexuals it only meant 'happy', and queer only meant 'odd'. Words and language constatnly evolve.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll edit it if it's used as an insult. Or maybe I'll just edit it whenever I see it.

Linus . . . I never actually thought of that and it's sad cause I use that term too.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Originally posted by Yamaneko
    I'll edit it if it's used as an insult. Or maybe I'll just edit it whenever I see it.
    That's what I used to do. You'd see a lot of the little kids in the FFX forum calling Tidus "silly".
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Everything you do is going to offend someone. Using the word "gay" as a substitute for "sucks" is less likely to be offensive to someone than a lot of other things. Its not a particularly smart thing to say, but its nothing I'm concerned about.

Sandwich Lord Ultimate_Sandwich's Avatar

Originally posted by Gau
    That's what I used to do. You'd see a lot of the little kids in the FFX forum calling Tidus "silly".
    I assume by silly, you mean "gay". Overuse of that term annoys me to no end, as it is simply not descriptive in the least in some situations. Of course, the example you give is perfectly in context. Tidus looks like the stereotypical gay man, with his flagrant colour scheme and girly long hair. There are perfectly "normal" gay guys, some I've known and associated with freely, being non-discriminatory, but some are simply over-the-top affeminate, and this is usually the image called upon when using "gay" in context. It should not, however, be used to replace "stupid" or "sucks", as it is a display of vocabulary handicap.

*Dylan
    MikMan vs Stickman: Finally! After 3 years! EPISODE 4!!!
    You miss Miktszu's Cloud and Nanaki? They're back, in a new world!

Back from the dead. Now with heartier bread.
    ...I, uh, didn't mean for that to rhyme...

Why not disallow any form of non-specific criticism at all? Forbid such treasures of the English language as "that's gay", "this sucks" or "that stinks". They really don't accomplish anything, anyway. It's a waste of board space, and I'm sure I lose an IQ point every time I see a post of such a caliber. Only allow specific criticisms. Replace something like "T1dus iz ghey!!1" with something to the effect of "I find Tidus' voice to be irritating at times". Specific criticism is actually worth reading.
    Knock yourselves down.

an unusually clever whore

I remember someone made a thread like this a long long time and and Unne said something like "We should say pants instead." But really, who cares? Why make such a big deal out of something like this? When you call something "gay" as in it sucks, you're not intentionally trying to insult gay people, it's just a figure of speech. You're pants.