Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's face it this isn't final fantasy

Default Let's face it this isn't final fantasy

i reconigse nothing final fantasy about this game, lets all admit it's a RPG given a name to push it's public persona
    Your sig is too hilarious and witty, thus i have removed it to protect the minds of all forum goers
    -The allways inspiring leeza

I do feel that it's not a true final fantasy game, however it does incorporate things from other final fantasy's, that mainly being the enemies. But overall, I'd say that they are using the name mainly to sell the game.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

As everyone has said about XI and X-2. Blah blah blah Square's just in it for the money blah blah blah.

How dare they try something new!

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

It's not an RPG. It's an adventure game. Anyway, what constitutes a final fantasy game? The theme, gameplay and plot changes pretty drastically from game to game. In fact, it can be argued to an extent that the only Final Fantasy games PERIOD are FF1, 3 and 5.

Well I feel that should it have the final fantasy name, it should incorporate things from other final fantasies. Which this game does. It has moogles and enemies such as the malboro. Although overall, it just doesn't seem like it should have the final fantasy name. Sure it's good sqaure enix is doing something new, but do they have to give it the name Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicals? they could have given it a different name.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

They should be free to call their creations what they will, to experiment and try new things. Everytime they stray from the formula, people complain. Whenever they keep to the formula, there's people complaining that they're stale and they've lost touch. Basically, no matter what they do, they're wrong and money-grubbing and really should have called the game something other than Final Fantasy.

It's not that they are wrong, or money grubbing. Sure giving the game the name Final Fantasy is most likely to boost sales. I just feel that maybe they should use a different name since it's a different type of game. I'm not against them using it for sales, nor am I saying that that's what they ARE infact doing. Final Fantasy is just a sort of genre even, and this game jsut doesn't seem to fit.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I have only played a little bit but I agree. It doesn't fit. It's the action element really, no FF was purely action based, they all involved selectiong menu commands. So I can see where that feeling would come from.

This is kind of like when Square released FF Legend and FF Adventure for Game Boy. Use the name and the genre to sell more titles when they were released as something else in Japan. Then again, maybe 'Final Fantasy' describes the developers rather than the game series, and they just add that moniker to whatever they make. But to me it doesn't feel right.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Squenix didn't 'tack on' the FF name in order to boost sales. No intelligent game company would ever (consistently) throw their name around for a quick buck. The only way to earn the consumer's trust is to make high quality games, and that's what they do. It's obvious that they spent time and effort to craft a good, albeit unique, entry into their Final Fantasy series. And anybody who doesn't see that just isn't looking hard enough.

I'm sure they did put quite a bit of effort into making Crystal Chronicals, however it isn't in the series, the series are followed by roman numerals. Crystal Chronicals is a whole new game. Yes again it does incorporate some final fantasy aspects. But it doesn't follow in the series. Final Fantasy is not the name of the company, Square Enix is the name of the company, they don't need to add Final Fantasy to every game they make.

If it had been given a roman numeral and thrown into the fray, I could see where you could complain that it throws things off. But it's not like that at all. Of course it's not the same as the others. It's not supposed to be.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

That's true. The different title may be good enough.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Yeah I do see where my above logic is flawed there. I suppose that having no roman numeral is good enough. Although also that was part of my point. That since it doesn't have a numeral, then they don't necessarily need the FF name. But if I were to keep that logic, I'd have to be against FF: Tactics, and believe me, I'm not against it.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Originally posted by omnitarian
    Squenix didn't 'tack on' the FF name in order to boost sales. No intelligent game company would ever (consistently) throw their name around for a quick buck.
    Final Fantasy Adventure isn't a Final Fantasy game, it's the first of the Seiken Densetsu series, known here as the Mana series (Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, etc.) and was recently (sort of) remade as Sword of Mana. Final Fantasy Legend, Legend 2 and Legend 3 were also not Final Fantasy games, they were the original SaGa games, which moved on to the SFC (Romancing SaGa), PS1 (Saga Frontier) and most recently, the PS2 (Unlimited SaGa). So yes, Square WOULD just tack on the FF name. Not that I don't like those games though....

Originally posted by TheAbominatrix
    As everyone has said about XI and X-2. Blah blah blah Square's just in it for the money blah blah blah.

How dare they try something new!
    Yeah, and that's as opposed to the companies who start purely for the benefit of the customer.