Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Men and women - equal rights?

Default Men and women - equal rights?

Do you think men and women should have equal rights?

Also, do you think women REALLY has 100% equal rights and are they discriminated at all in todays western societies, when it comes to certain jobs, et cetera.
    ('-'*)/ - "sup"

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Women are still discriminated again. How many times do you still here 'Don't hit girls' or stuff like that after they punch some kid boy in the arm? I say with equal rights also come equal ass kickings.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I agree with edlalallalala. If I smack a boy around, he'd better stand up for himself, or I'm gonna feel pretty guilty.

I still get the "you can't do that because you're a girl" sometimes about silly things, but most of my male friends and family realize I can kick their butts and do whatever kind of things they do. I don't think there's nearly as much discrimination, but I think some things still have a certain stigma attached to them. For example, my father thinks it's weird that I want to work on cars with him. I like cars, I can't help it.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Awesome. Someone agrees with me

I'd say take it case by case. If a man and a woman are both hired in a warehouse job, and the man can lift 200 more boxes per shift than the woman, obviously he should be paid more and anyone who would say that they should get equal pay is fighting against equality between men and woman, because it makes it an unfair advantage for women. Equally, if in a given case the woman can do more lifting then she should be started with higher pay than the man. I can't stress enough that people are individuals and their sex, race, beliefs and all that stuff are traits, not definitions.

But when you look at the leading positions in companies, there's a very small percent of women in charge.
    ('-'*)/ - "sup"

Originally posted by Mikztsu
    But when you look at the leading positions in companies, there's a very small percent of women in charge.
    There's a few different explanations why that could be, and one of them could be that women are not given equality in the workplace. However, you can take it down a different route and say that it's because the average woman is not as well-equipped as a male to suceed in business. Or you can say that the average woman doesn't have the motivation to suceed. Or you can say that the average woman has three arms and doesn't fit in. Get my point? There are a million different reasons why it could be, but no one knows exactly why it happens.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Yes, women should have equal rights. Equal rights doesn't mean equal in every way. I have the right to own property, but that doesn't mean I get property no matter what. It means if I have money, I should be able to buy property. Non-equal rights would say that I am inherently unable to own property, because I don't have the right even if I have enough money to do it, whereas other non-me people do have the right.

For example in business, equal rights means if a woman is equal in ability to a man, she has the right to be paid as much as a man. Equal rights doesn't mean women are automatically made into CEOs, but it means that they have an equal opportunity to become one based on their skill or lack thereof, not on the fact that they're female. Equal rights means a woman isn't prevented from voting or going to school. Equal rights means that being female doesn't come into account. Things like "50% of physical laborers should be women regardless of whether we can find women who are physically able enough to do the job" is NON-equal rights, I agree with LH.

So far as whether women are still discriminated against, I don't know. I hope not.

So far as "don't hit girls", that's not a question of rights. No one has the right to hit anyone.

I agree with Unne about "not hitting girls". That has nothing to do with rights.

There was a research in Finland, many women interviewed, and eventhough we have a female president, companies aren't too keen to take women in charge. :I

And to LH - Oh, women are VERY ambitious. At least I see it that way.
    ('-'*)/ - "sup"

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Everyone is discriminated against. I'd probably be discriminated against in Europe because I'm American. Or I'd be discriminated in a Catholic country because my family is for the most part Protestant. Or in an Arab country because I'm white. It all depends where you are and who the people in power are.

Women should have equal rights like everyone else. It's not going to happen, but we should keep trying.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Equal rights, yes. Equivalent rights, no, because men and women are not the same.
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I agree with Yamaneko too. I was going to say something like that, but I forgot. *dumb*

Signature by rubah. I think.

Yes, I think that women and men should have equal rights... Without a doubt. I mean, we're all humans and from the same world so I can't even se why women and men do not have equal rights. It's the same thing with white and colored people. It just pisses me off thinking about this world not having equal rights and stuff! I can't take it...

Originally posted by Mikztsu
    There was a research in Finland, many women interviewed, and eventhough we have a female president, companies aren't too keen to take women in charge. :I
    You have a female president!? Wow, that's great! I hope that USA one day will have one too. A woman's opinions and actions on such important matters, that the american president faces, could be interesting to experience. Also I hope that one day USA will have a black president...
    Last edited by Breine; 03-26-2004 at 08:37 PM.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

There is an old saying that goes...

"Women want equal rights...untill the bill comes to the table."

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Whatever your stance is, it should be noted that women have more equal rights today than they have ever in history, and it keeps progressing. These things take time. One day the US will have a female president, and probably in our lifetimes.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum