Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RPG MAKER

I've never gotten round to using rpg maker cause of all of the limitations I keep on hearing about. I'm in the process of making a game with rpg toolkit (potentaily limitless yet amazingly annoying) but theres all sorts of problems like it ver 2 wont work on WNDWS XP ver 3's too instable, Im tied up in flash animation project with a freind, Im making my side scrolling shoot 'em up in game maker...... The list goes on. A have had the basic story lines and all of that stuff for about a year now but I get bored VERY VERY easily.
    Word/s.

I started making a game and then I didn't. It takes too bloody long.

Blog Entries

I don'«t care abput the time!

I'm writting a story and I have rpg maker and I'll make my own game!

I think it's the best!!!!!

Yeah, it's fun to make your own RPG, but dang if it doesn't take up your life. I had a demo of one made and was about to save it to a disc when my comp got a nasty virus and had to be reformatted. Guess what wasn't saved? After that it took me a while to find a DL spot again and than I started. Hope to get some real work on it done by this summer. Right no school and life are all I can fit on my plate.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

RPG Maker must have come about because game makers got tired of hearing gamers complain 'Your cruddy RPG is so bad that I even I could make a better one myself!' Now I can make my own cruddy RPG's. The results are fun, but the programming is so time consuming it's almost not worthwhile.

If you really want to make a good rpg think of all of the stupid things that annoy you in other games.

Like inns, in most games you walk up to some guy at a desk, speak to him cue fade, Wow you're fine now and you havn't moved an inch. In my game I'm programming an inn where you walk to the desk, rent a room, go to your room, sleep, and can use the room for as long as you want (dayly charge, have to sign out before entering a new inn).

cause if your not innovative then nobodys even gonna bother looking at your game.
    Word/s.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's kind of silly for people to say that they really want to make a game, but can't be bothered to program it or think that the coding is too tought in RM2k. Really, it's a cakewalk compared to real programming.

heh i remember using rm2k. I started a very large game awhile ago with a few friends. Unfortunately, we ran into a few programming walls, and lost interest so we never finished.

I recommend playing BlkKnight's games, they are hilarious. They're a real gamer's games.

I am using RPGMaker 2003. It just makes it feel a lot more like an RPG to me.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I've used RPG Maker quite a lot in the past, but I don't use it any more. It was great at first - a novelty, perhaps - but the fun didn't last for very long. When I wanted to add more environments to my game, I simply couldn't be bothered when it came to configuring each and every single tree so that my hero wouldn't walk straight through it. As you said, Caim, it is very time consuming.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

I was making a RM2k game a couple years ago. My data got wiped once, and I started over (probably for the best because it took me a while to get used to the scripting), but I haven't touched it in about two years. I'm just too busy with other stuff. I might pick it up again sometime or not... it's not a priority for me right now. But really, the simple point and click scripting system is very intuitive and easy to use. I really do like it. The only problem is that you need to figure out workarounds for more complex things that aren't built straight into the system. I'm still waiting for RPGds for I hear that one is gonna be really powerful.
    Last edited by BatChao; 05-07-2004 at 09:56 PM.
    "It's an adult kiss...we'll do the rest when you get back." -Misato Katsuragi

[size=1]Soul Calibur r0x0rz my b0x0rz!
    Actually... I don't wear boxers, but Soul Calibur r0x0rz my briefz0rz just doesn't have the same ring to it...

**Proud owner of the Mercedes Scar**

RPGds? That still in development? It's been a few years! Haven't they got anything out yet? O_o

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I enjoy going on RPG Maker I started a game about... Me

frist I thought it was hard but now I'm making progress.
    I can use magic and have a red stick (which I treat as a sword)
    the game is Called "Last Legend"
    Last edited by Mattokenzi; 05-14-2004 at 12:09 PM.