Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Why did it happen to Vivi? (spoiler warning)

Blog Entries

VIVI DIDN'T DIE !!!?

Having just finished the game tonight, and having not read any such threads as these before hand, my unpolluted OPINION is that Vivi did, in fact, "stop".

I had the distinct impression that all of the text in that portion was all part of a single letter, especially given that the last panel of them ended as a letter does. The text of the letter lead me to believe that Vivi knew at some point that he would stop soon, and wrote that letter as his final thoughts.

I think this especially, as there is some reference earlier in the game that, when it is stated that the black mages will stop after year or two, the prototype, assumed to be Vivi, will last some undetermined amount of time longer.

Vivi is also the only member not clearly pictured in the end scene. The "sons of Vivi" all bustle right by Puck as well, having never met him before. Were Vivi in the group, he would not likely have passed his "first friend."

So, it was for me an ending tinged with sadness. I really liked Vivi. I was waiting right up until the end for some evidence that he wasn't under the same rules as the other black mages, but to no avail.

Of course, this was my impression and opinion.
    The next time you're feeling so invincible that you don't feel like saving, remember this sig- TAKE TWO SECONDS AND SAVE TWO HOURS! SAVE YOUR GAME!

Default ...

hahahaaa, he doesn't die

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin
    hahahaaa, he doesn't die
    Touche'.

I don't want him to die. Not at all. I would rather the game end with him alive. None the less, it was my impression that Vivi "stopped". On my next play through, I'll actively look for evidence to defeat my impression.
    The next time you're feeling so invincible that you don't feel like saving, remember this sig- TAKE TWO SECONDS AND SAVE TWO HOURS! SAVE YOUR GAME!

where in ff9 does it say vivi dies, no where. any one care to explain where.

It never explicitly states as much, any you are free to interpret the game as you will. But the argument, (which I personally believe) goes something like this:

We know that the Black Mages constructed by Kuja have a lifespan of a very few years at best. It is however indicated that the prototype will have a longer lifespan, but how long, it is not determined. (I can't remember the exact phrasing used, but I got the distinct impression this statement was made in regards to Vivi. This is supported by the fact that Vivi is already well in excess of the typical Black Mage lifespan.)

So, if we follow through with the premise that Vivi is the Black Mage prototype, then we know that he too will "stop" eventually. We do not know how long this will take, but we can guess (from the exact phrasing which I cannot remember ) that it will not be any great number of years.

At the end of the game, there are scenes of each of the characters, interrupted by blocks of text which, taken together, and looking at the last one, present themselves as a single letter. The author of the letter, from the wording and style of it, seems to be Vivi. The letter is meloncholy, and almost seems to be saying goodbye.

In those last scenes, all members but Vivi are explicitly shown. "Vivi's" scene consists of a line of Black Mages that look exactly like him going to see the play. The first in line, which is holding the tickets, runs into Puck, who mistakenly thinks the Black Mage is Vivi. The Black Mage informs Puck that they are Vivi's children, and they parade by the prince.

Now, if Vivi were there, he would have stopped to speak with Puck. Vivi always wanted to talk to Puck during the game, and he wouldn't have passed up the chance to speak to him again after so long. Thus, it is unlikely that any of the Black Mages in that scene are in fact Vivi.

Also, if Vivi were still around during the final scene, he would have gotten the same kind of attention as the rest of the cast, all of whom are explicitly shown doing one thing or another.

So, Vivi having stopped is fairly strongly implied. It is the impression that I got the first time I saw the ending, before I looked at any threads such as this one- which for me is one of the key differences that separates this theory from others, such as R=U from FFVIII and the like. The implication here is substantially stronger, and the interpretation can be reached more reasonably than some of the wilder theories.

Vivi did not die. All that writing that comes up is about Zidane because they all think that he is dead. That is why he appears in that play in the hooded robe with his face concealed to surprise everyone when he takes it off that he is still alive.

ok dis sub is so bloody stupid hu eva fort dat vivi died is a complete idiot an should pay more attention when playin da bloody game, nice 1 m8 i bet u feel like a write prat LMAO!!! LOLOLOL!!!!!!

I don't like the ending 2

Square should just let Zidane dies

and Vivi live....................

The truth is totally obscured from us .

........this is just what i think. i think that they all thought that zidane died saving kuja. the writing though is vivis last thoughts, thinking about his friends and zidane. i'v completed it twice and both times i thought that. thourghout the game vivi questioned his existence, his quote being "do we really exist?" to prove that we exist is to have a life and to die. dying is natural. so vivi dying answers his question - he did exist and was real.

one thing though...i heard that if you complete it 100% with all the sidequest you get an extra scene with vivi...i don't know what its about or if its true. i'm trying to complete it all now so i can see!!!

this is just my opinion.... he might not die but i think that it completes the game propally.

anyway the person who thinks zidane should die is a poopy head!!!
    i love zidane my FAVOURITE character!

Amarant is not a girl!

Armarant wasn't a female, he was a guy. Do you people consider him a girl because of his long hair? Note thathe had a beard & a relatively flat chest. You get the closest view of him during one of the Active time events in your return to Treno to get the Supersoft for Blank. He was talking to Freya about how he was a security guard for the auction/mansion site. By the way can anyone confirm it was Kuja who was the owner of the mansion? The game gave me several signs to yes, but I need confirmation.
    Thanks- BudSoda02 BudSoda02@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by zacks_clone
    sort of like cait sith??
    except everyone actually liked him lol no one likes cait sith

Remnant, even though I'm totally convinced that he's not dead, What you said really really made sense and I really hope that this is true, so that I could go like "YO THUMBS UP SQUARE!" for making such a reasonable ending.

but I'm not sure, I still think he didn't, and they're not that clever to make such ending.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

Zidane and Kuja are technically brothers as they were the only genomes given souls except that female genome who was a slight dumbass in my words i think Vivi doesnt die but dissapears and is almost dead he is revived by the black mages and makes his way to home thats my thoughts but i never finished ff9 as i never found disc 4 i lost it ;-;