Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (Spoiler) Was it Aeris or Aeris's theme that made her such a memorable character

Default (Spoiler) Was it Aeris or Aeris's theme that made her such a memorable character

Do you think it was Aeris or Aeris's theme that made her such a memorable character. I am sure they both had had an impact. But which do you think had the greater effect on giving many people their opinions on her.

During that scene, which do you think had the greater effect on making people sad. The actual character of Aeris. Or the music they were playing while that scene was going on.

So all in all. Do you think Aeris became one of the most memorable characters in video game history simply because of the way the developers made her. Or do you think that the larger impact on her popularity was the music they gave her and the timing that they had in choosing to express that music which made her so memorable and popular.

For those who cried during that scene or at least felt rather sad. Do you think you would have had those same feelings of sadness if that music was not playing at that time.

Everything becomes memorable through music... although knowing this, it's also the characters in the game, it feels they have their own personality, and therefor making them memorable.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

it was both. clearly the music was divine, but so was the charcter.

i mean celes is a great character in ff6 and aeris theme is derived from a song played during one of her scenes. but i dont worship celes, i worship aeris lol.

she was beautiful, playful, innocent and knowledable, mature and naive, and many other contridictory components that establish her as the personification of living, ff7's theme. you can rest assured if i ever have a daughter she will be called aeris.
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Default spoiler

i agree...music....and her charecter in genreal i mean whether it be in movies or games you dont expect a central character who is kind....to die....honestly this is what seperates ff7 towards the rest because of the whole....emotion factor...i also liked this game better than the others cause i could relate to these charecters hence you get so close to them....aeris was no different, that scence will always stay in my head....

the music and the character contribute to make this scene great....i love ff7...

[Life is Eternity in a nutshell]

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't even remember Aeris' theme... o_o
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

They complement one another. The scene wouldn't have been nearly as good without Aeris' Theme and Aeris' Theme wouldn't have been as memorable had it been in another scene instead of that scene. It's very similar to the movie Titanic. Scenes in Titanic wouldn't have been as good without their music, and the music in Titanic wouldn't have been as good without the scenes from the movie. Had Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On just been another song on one of her albums, I doubt it would have done as well as it did being on the Titanic Soundtrack.

Aeris herself was a very memorable character, and she had a great dynamic with every other character in the game. She also had a lot of importance to the game. I think that in her death scene, had they played something by Metallica, it would have been much less impacting on the story. Had they played no music at all, I think it would have been sad, but not as sad or memorable as with Aeris' Theme.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gau
    I don't even remember Aeris' theme... o_o
    It goes something like this..."nah nah nah, nah nah nah..."

Default hmmm

...Wow...i guess i'm the only one who pretty much disliked aeris...i mean the girl hung out in a run down church plantin flowers (what was she really trying to grow hmm? ) I thought that the theme fit her really well (i'm partial to cloud's theme myself) and after playing all of the ff's so far(excluding cc)...i can't see the big deal about her...just can't, sorry
    Last edited by Blazer; 04-16-2004 at 03:13 PM.

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

blazer...DIE! lol. ok u may live as long as you swear alligence to aeris lol.

actually if they had played metallicas fade to black or and justice for all it might have been memorable.

and you have no idea how i feel when u compared the greatest game to one of the worst films! lol i jest of course.
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Eoff + Fabio = Win Lord Chainsaw's Avatar

I honestly can't say what made her such a memorable character. She just has this sort of magic to her than no other character has ever had.

Her music was great. It was sad, and yes I did cry when she died. I have to say it wasn't the music though. The music was a nice touch, but the character had already been developed to me by then.

I can't put into words or find the reason why I like Aeris so much. It's not the music though, that's for sure.

I think Sephiroth's sword made her memorable. I know I was laughing when it happened. I'm with you Blazer. I just didn't like her for some reason.

I loved aeris fist time. The music, the blue colors,the death. All of it tired in

Second time, i hated her. She died. I liked tifa then. Tifa tifa tifa. aeris,boo...So...

so...the character really did it,but it couldnt have been done without the song

n o - l o v e - o r - g l o r y
    Goodbyes|Me|Trinity|Us|Mako Eyes
    Mercenary

Her music was the most memorable. It was just so sad.

I mean, watching her body drift down in the water like that while her theme was playing... it really got to me. Knowing Cloud and I would never see her again.

The music always gets to me.

It was 100% music for me. I didn't care for the character much at all, but the music is always touching. Perhaps because it was derived Aria de Mezzo Caraterre?

Meh. In either case, the only emotion I had during that scene for the character herself? Anger when I realized I spent way too much time leveling her up for nothing. :mog:

Just, ehh, ignore the Neo in the name NeoZellMog. Ah heh. Long story.

Exiled Idiot of Doom? Blackmage's Avatar

Thumbs up Aeris's Theme > all.

It was the music, hands down. It ain't everyday someone can nail the right music for the right time like that. It's just...beautiful. And the orchestrated version of it really makes it shine.

I must say, I'm on the same boat as Zell: I was kinda pissed when I realized I went through all that effort to go out and get Great Gospel when she ends up dead. They should've just let her come with that limit break innately.
    Kuja Highwind/Blackmage: Some guy that used to be active back around 2001... He almost made his way through Proto's Custom Title Tournament way back in the day...but almost only counts in horseshoes and grenades. Oh well.