Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: (Spoiler) Was it Aeris or Aeris's theme that made her such a memorable character

Eoff + Fabio = Win Lord Chainsaw's Avatar

I think the fact that you COULD go out and get her ultimate weapons and ultimate limits and work so hard for them is what made it so great.

The fact that they could make you do all that work, and just kill her off so quickly really added to the emotion of it. It helped create a sense of feeling that your character is ultimately human, and not impervious to being killed off. It is so great because it really is a loss. Someone you worked so hard and grew with was suddenly taken in an instant.

I think that reason alone is why the death of Legend of Dragoon's character wasn't very memorable. He was replaced by an identical character with the same weapons, level, and addition. There was no loss to it.

Metallica isn't all head bashing stuff. They have some good slower stuff like One and Unforgiving II. Those might have fit the moment, though without the lyrics, they aren't as good.I think Sephiroths theme should have been Master of Puppets ( The best god damn song ever ).

when they force you to fight that boss after aeris dies and they are playing that music. Did the music playing and what just happened make it difficult for you to concentrate on the guy.

I know I died when I fought him and I had to go through that whole scene again.

Also, lol, just my little Aeris story on the way I acted the first time I played the game.

I had hintings that something might happen to her later on the game (wasn't sure if she died or she just left the group for some reason) because of some walkthrough I was looking at decided to talk to much, lol.

But I remember while playing it for the first time and after I saw that blurb on the walkthrough that something might happen to her. Because of that I decided to start putting her in my group so I would have a little more time with her just in case she was not in the game for its entirety for some reason or other.

And when the death scene finally came I am not sure because I already had suspicions that something might happen to her that it affected me more or less than if it came totally unexpected for me.

I didn't shed a tear or anything but I did feel pretty sad.

Looking back on it it does kind of make you shake your head on how you let a video game character get to your emotions so much.

But the fact that they do get to you so well shows how great the character development was in ff7.

The creators obviously new what type of personality to give a character in order to hit an emotional accord with the audience.

Looking back on the entire time Aeris was in the game. It seems they were setting everything up from the very first time you talk with her to really make an impact on your emotions when she leaves the game.

They gave her the type of personality that alot of people in real life are kind of looking for. And when they actually find a personality like that (even though it is just in a game)they tend to grow somewhat fond of it. And just when they are starting to really get attached to that personality it is snagged away from them.

I wonder when developing the game and trying to decide what kinds of personalities to give the characters. When they came to Aeris I wonder if they discussed with eachother on what type of personality do people find very appealing and can grow very attached to.

And they came up with the personality that Aeris had
    Last edited by darkchrono; 04-26-2004 at 06:15 AM.

Eoff Designer Recognized Member Rinoabella's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design
    I believe it was both. Aeris was such a real character. The way she talked, the way she looked, the clothes she wore, even how she moved! The music added on to this, and when her lifeless body floated through the water, it made it all sad, thus making her memorable.

I never really liked her that much.
    I always try to get Cloud with Tifa

I think it was just that (SPOILER)SHE DIES!!! that made her memorable.
    Nothing to do with any music for me, my favourite music from FF7 all has to do with Sephiroth.
    ~Go teh sephy~
    ~FF7 is teh r0x0r~

Roses are red. Violets are blue.
    Allofmybasearebelongtoyou.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Sephiroth
    I think it was just that (SPOILER)SHE DIES!!! that made her memorable.
    I agree. Had that event not happened, she wouldn't stand out more than any other typical Final Fantasy heroine.

The music definately made (SPOILER)her death much more sadder.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Chainsaw
    I honestly can't say what made her such a memorable character. She just has this sort of magic to her than no other character has ever had.

Her music was great. It was sad, and yes I did cry when she died. I have to say it wasn't the music though. The music was a nice touch, but the character had already been developed to me by then.

I can't put into words or find the reason why I like Aeris so much. It's not the music though, that's for sure.
    I completely agree. It wasn't the fact that she died that makes her memorable either. It was her character that made her memorable for me. I knew about her death before I even knew her character or even played the game because my brother had the FMV on our computer and showed it to me. I didn't cry because I didn't know the character. Before I even played the game and only saw Aeris, I kind of already knew what she would be like and that she would end up one of my favorites. I wasn't disappointed with her character at all. She was amazing. Her music was a very well designed piece. It set the mood for her funeral. They only play Aeris' Theme at one other time in the game and that's when she gets kidnapped by the Shinra and you go to her house. I think Aeris must've been one of their first characters that they designed for FFVII. She wasn't lacking in anything, her background was well done, and her character was even better.

I wonder if her death wasn't an afterthought, though. The Final Fantasy series is infamous for things that were either put in or taken out when have the game was already programmed and structured. The only one thus far that was NOT full of those little tidbits was 10- and I personally think it suffered for it.
    But, I don't think it was her music that made the impact. Any other music that "fit" the character- which would have to be soft and sweet and sad all at the same time- would have worked admirably. Music would be necessary, not because of the scene itself, but because we're all so used to mood music in games that NOT having any would be incredibly weird.
    Whore since '04. Selling my skills as an artist and writer.

http://www.freewebs.com/acalhoun/

I think the reason that Aeris consistently gets talked about as a favourite game character, behind only possibly Sephiroth and Kefka, is because she was unlike any game character that has ever been before her. She wasnt like your typical female videogame heroine where she was injected full of testosterone ala Lara Croft. She had a gentle innocence and shyness that i think most people see in themselves.
    As for her music, the simplicty of it complemented her because she was beautifully innocent and completely at one with herself, right up til 'the end'
    or maybe im looking too much into it.
    Aeris was the best,

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

There were lots of soft and shy video game girls. In fact, a good deal of them were like that. Rosa, etc.

I dont know why everyone says she's so shy... it's not to knock her, but she was way forward. She never hesitated to something and she always stated her feelings. Everyone's always saying she's so shy... really, Tifa was the shy one.

And yes, I agree that it was her death that made her so memorable.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, for me it was the stabby. Otherwise she was sort of meh.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I didn't find her memorable at all. The whole thing with her death was rather strange, as I don't see how it was important and such a big sacrifice.

Same here. I wasn't bothered at all by it.

I couldn't wait until she died...couldn't stand her.
    You can't say crap without the rap.

Blog Entries

Aeris was a great female lead. She had it all; heart, soul, passion and most importantly: loyalty.
    That being said; her theme probably did have a huge impact on her popularity.

Reina's still the greatest female lead, remember her sacrifice for the Dragon? I still sob when I think about it.