Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Square announced Final Fantasy 1 + 2 Advance

It IS kinda worriying if they change too much. Then it's not gonna be FF1 anymore. I agree with Unne, they should make the extra stuff an option. And perhaps the extra dungeon is a separate adventure that one can choose to complete after the "main" adventure.
    "Take care, Ho!"
    - Dwarf from FFIV

What is wrong with the link? I dont know how to do the whole attachment thing so I had to post the link.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Yeah, the Two-Headed Dragon is from FFIII, and I find the updated sprite a VERY good sign of the coming of that FFIII revision for which I've been pining for years now.

The images in the article also show the world map location of the Soul of Chaos (which seems to be on an island in the lake at the top of the Waterfall), some non-battle shots of the dungeon interior, as well as a town that resembles Melmond but is populated completely by robots. Great!

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne
    Why don't they just call the game something other than FF1, because it sure HAIN'T FF1
    This is probably why it's being called FF1 ADVANCE and not FF1.

Here's my thoughts. I love the extra dungeon because now there's a reason to attain higher levels than what's needed to beat the last boss. It's something extra.

You want to turn off the extra dungeon? Don't visit it. Problem solved.

Now, the magic system, changing it into one pool instead of individual magic points per spell level, I don't like. I find it as big, or bigger, a change than changing the equipment system from the original version.

Regarding the magic change, they should allow you to revert to old school style. That is of course hard to do and keep the numbers, so it should be a choice at the very start of the game to avoid the glitches that might be involved entirely. Also, they should add the option at the very start to choose the retro equipment system (invididual party members holding stuff, limited space for it too). That'll keep everyone happy.

Again, extra quests I like (you can just avoid those anyway if you want to stick with the original, but hey I know you won't be able to avoid the temptation of beating up Kefka or Sephiroth with your level 50 warrior ), but the gameplay, if they want to change it, should always have an option to revert to the classic style.

If they are really changing the gameplay a lot, and do include options to go classic or original mode, then might I suggest giving thief/ninja the ability to steal stuff (again, it can be shut off and all).

*sigh*

The game is called Final Fantasy I Advance, not Final Fantasy, clearly they're differentiating internally. :rolleyes2

Still, I REALLY think they should do this. Honestly, I like that each FF game has it's own DIFFERENCES, things that make then unique. The old magic points per spell level system wasn't an annoyance, it was a unique way of handling magic that was in fact fun. The equipment system change they did in the PS1 version, while making things easier for people, removes the whole challenge of having to manage your equipment and decide what you want to keep and what you have to ditch. These sorts of gameplay things, CRITICAL things that seperate it from other FF games, should be left alone, or at the very least have an option to revert to the original mode at the start of the game.

As for things that are PURE extras that you can just flat out ignore, like this dungeon, I don't mind it at all. It's not changing anything UNLESS you choose to visit the place yourself. Oh yes, I wouldn't exactly vomit if they tossed in a Chocobo or Moogle, though just as a cameo thing, not to actually be ridden or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Jaguar
    You want to turn off the extra dungeon? Don't visit it. Problem solved.
    That is, of course, if it's just a side-quest and not a part that must be completed to advance in the game. Time will tell...
    "Take care, Ho!"
    - Dwarf from FFIV

You know, it's not like they're NOT going to deviate from the original. How about instead of whining about it we wait and see how its changed. It's not like they've gone and changed the original, this is a remix. Just judge it for its own merits, not just on what they changed. *stops ranting and eats some potato chips*

Mmmmmm... chips.

Sorry, did you say something?
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Nah, not really. Want some chips?

Hell yeah!

*eats chips, than gives huge smile*
    *eats Mentos to help chip breath*
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

I wonder if they'll remove the select/cancel trick for this release...

A remix is fine so long as the original is still there, and that's all I was asking for, a way to play the original mode.

Fredde, from what I can tell, the bonus dungeon is only a bonus. I doubt they are going to change any major flow of the game. It just seems like another step past Origins. They seem to be just adding some more extras here and there, and as such, I honestly don't think it's something one will NEED to visit.

Anyway, just to reiterate, no problem with them adding extras so long as they let you play it in original mode. This isn't so utterly massive an overhaul that they can't do that, like in the case of Sword of Mana for instance. It's just Final Fantasy 1 + + + (the first two pluses being WSC and PS1 remakes).

Hmm, I wonder if this will be enough to get Unne to update his site one last time?

STOP RELEASING I AND II AND GIVE US III, YOU SADISTIC BASTARDS