Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's with the crappy translation?!?

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Here's Klulu.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Heh, I initially thought that was Terra
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

A note that many miss is that Exdeath appears to be a misinterpretation of "Exodus". Damn, it'd have been awesome if they'd have gotten that one right.
    Signatures are for wimps?

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

It's not supposed to be Exodus. In Japanese, it's ekusudesu. There is a beast called Exodus in FFTA, and it's ekusedesu. It's a slight difference, but it's there.

The difference between an U and an E? Oh, come off it. And you know that Japanese isn't written with letters, so discussing the spelling of Japanese words is completely pointless.
    Signatures are for wimps?

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

References to past games always retain the same spelling. They've never gone from Shiva to Shivo to Shivu to Shivi, and that would also just be the difference of one vowel. And this isn't pointless. It's transliteration.

There may be spoilers, I don't think so but I'll just put up a warning anyhow. Let the reader beware.

The five called monsters in FF-TA are supposed to be copies of five final bosses from the eariest games. Famfrit is dark cloud from III, Ultima is Ultima from FF-T, I don't know what the bangaa one is, the human one is the emperor from II, and Exodus is ex-death from V. Remember as I have said before these games take things from all myths and cultures and religions. They're put into Japaneese letters and then taken from those letters and translated directly into english, leaving their real meaning much to be desired. For example, the first city in III is called "Ul" which is a slightly closer english translation than "Ur" for most english accents. however when one considers that the second city is caller cannan, it is more likely that the city should have been called Ur, referring to Abraham's journey from the babylonian city of Ur to Caanan, the land where Israel lies today. Second, although many have disputed this, seifer sepheroth could also be called seraph seperoth from VII. This means angel of numbers, more or less, which is appropriate seeing as the form that sepheroth takes in the final battle is that of a one winged angel. Do not look to what the name is in japan, look to cultural references.
    Clyde Arronwy, The Great and Magnificent Gumby, Lord Thanatosimii, Having Been Bequiethed of the Poke-dom, Ruler of Gumbolivia, Third member of "The Mind Whose Name Dare Not Be Spoken Aloud"

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde Arronway
    The five called monsters in FF-TA are supposed to be copies of five final bosses from the eariest games. Famfrit is dark cloud from III, Ultima is Ultima from FF-T, I don't know what the bangaa one is, the human one is the emperor from II, and Exodus is ex-death from V.
    I've seen talk of this before, and I could even buy that Ultima and Exodus are references to FFT Ultima and ExDeath, but there's absolutely no evidence to support the rest. Famfrit and Mateus look nothing like the Cloud of Darkness and the Paramekian Emperor, nor do they have similar names. And Adramelech is just a reference to FFT Adramelech, who wasn't a final boss, further disproving this rumor.
    Second, although many have disputed this, seifer sepheroth could also be called seraph seperoth from VII. This means angel of numbers, more or less, which is appropriate seeing as the form that sepheroth takes in the final battle is that of a one winged angel.
    It's not supposed to be Seraph. It's supposed to be Sepher--Sepher Sephiroth, meaning "the Book of Numbers" and the numerical Kabbalistic pathway to God. This is indisputable.
    Do not look to what the name is in japan, look to cultural references.
    The names in Japan are almost always perfectly representative of the cultural references; the ONLY exception I can think of is Mael-Duin, who was referred to as Madin in FFVI. It's the translations that go beyond transliteration into outright altering of names that pervert this. For example, the name of Catoblepas (a mythical beast) was changed to Shoat (a generic word for a hog or boar) in the English translations of FFV and FFVI, and Glasya Labolas (a Christian demon) was changed to Doomtrain in FFVIII.

I think a lot of the names in earlier Final Fantasy games were changed due to a lack of space. Catoblepas would've had to have been shortened to "Catoblps" or something in FFVI, and that's clearly wrong. Then again, so is "Shoat."

A character named Cthulhu would be the best thing ever. And yes, Klulu does look like remarkably like Terra in those illustrations. :o

It looks like Kishi's last Klulu illustration didn't upload completely.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

you may hold to your kabbalistic interperetation, which I don't deny, but I've seen far too many references to seraph to simply dismiss that it could be intentional in a boss battle with a giant demented angel. and I do see a large similarity between famfrit and mateus and those two bosses. It doesn't hurt that square said that they were based off of those charecters too.

and the names may be perfect representations, but if one does not know those representations and one takes a straight japaneese translation, one gets instances of complete lunacy, such as: one V walkthrough insisted that broad swords are not broad swords, they're bload swords.
    Clyde Arronwy, The Great and Magnificent Gumby, Lord Thanatosimii, Having Been Bequiethed of the Poke-dom, Ruler of Gumbolivia, Third member of "The Mind Whose Name Dare Not Be Spoken Aloud"

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

one V walkthrough insisted that broad swords are not broad swords, they're bload swords.
    What, you've never heard of bload swords? They were most commonly used by the Bloadic tribes of Northern Scotland. They were a crude precursor to the Scottish claymore.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

you may hold to your kabbalistic interperetation, which I don't deny, but I've seen far too many references to seraph to simply dismiss that it could be intentional in a boss battle with a giant demented angel.
    It's possible that they intended a double meaning on "Seraph" and "Sepher," but the Book of Numbers and Sephiroth's whole quest to become God are so closely linked that I find it impossible that "Sepher" wasn't an intended meaning.

Regardless, "Safer" is quite obviously horrible, horrible Engrish.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The Man
    It looks like Kishi's last Klulu illustration didn't upload completely.
    Sure it did. It's only supposed to be a close-up on her name. Also: hi Aaron.
    you may hold to your kabbalistic interperetation, which I don't deny, but I've seen far too many references to seraph to simply dismiss that it could be intentional in a boss battle with a giant demented angel.
    Yet the F-sound comes before the R-sound. Even at a stretch, that would be Sephar or something, not Seraph.
    and I do see a large similarity between famfrit and mateus and those two bosses.
    Explain please. Especially how a chunky masked giant with a chain and a cannon hoisted upon his shoulder in any way resembles a smiling, naked, feminine spirit of darkness with smaller nasty-faced spirits swirling about her.

The rumor that the Totema are "copies of five final bosses from the earliest games" has already been shot beyond a shadow of a doubt because
    • Adramelech has never been a final boss in any game ever,
    • FFT, in which Ultima is the final boss, is not one of the "earliest games" by a long shot, and
    • Chaos from FFI and Zeromus from FFIV are nowhere to be found,
    but I'd like to know your reasoning.

alright, on adremmalich I submit. I did not properly express what square officially said. But as to dark cloud, I mean it's first form with a big acessory cannon thingy. Square did say that these were the namesakes (er... sprite-sakes?) for the totema and was quoted as such in an issue of nintendo power though, so take it up with square.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    Sure it did. It's only supposed to be a close-up on her name.
    Fair enough. I'm a bit disappointed, as more Amano art is always a good thing, but ah well.

Also: hi Aaron.
    'Sup Kishi.