Thread: ff2 lv up tips (no spoilers please)

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

Default ff2 lv up tips (no spoilers please)

ok i have barely started this game and am not stuck or anything, just concerned on the best way to train since its meant to be the hardest ff to beat.

my friend said it had a great story and awful battle systerm and i,m seeing his point 1 hour in. i like the idea of increasing an attribute the more you use it, since i,m a dbz fantatic and thats how the saiy-jins got harder.

but it has this thing where attributes like intelegence go down when strength goes up and other stuff and if i,m not careful i can easily see my team getting screwed. it uses a similar train systerm to ffx-2 blitzball and i hated that.

any tips on the best way to train up without spoilers would be appreciated, just general dos or donts and best attributes to get 4 each of the four characters etc
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Ok this tip will help you out in the long run, throw ff2 out the window and pick up any other ff.

But realy, ff2 blows i hate it ALOT!

I suggest you do one or more of the following:

1: pick up ff1
    2: pick up ff3
    3: pick up ff6
    4: bang head violenly into table until you forget about ff2

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

It's not as bad as some games out there. I bet FF2 is on Origin's so if it goes out the window and so goes FF1. I liked FF2.

Basically, to raise HP is attack other team members. To raise MP cast a lot of spells. There's some kinda trick you can do but I don't know it.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Attack your own characters to gain hp, when a character loses a lot of hp in battle tye will get a hp up. To gain power and weapon levels, use the attack command, then cancel, attack, cancel, attack, cancel, etc. You can use that same tactic for spells to gain intelligence and spell levels. To gain mp just use a lot in one battle. It's a long boring process but it works better than fighting around.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

but that's cheating!

Doesn't mean it won't work.
    Signatures are for wimps?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami Bren
    but that's cheating!
    No, it's not cheating. It's just "Not being man enough to take on a good challenge".

But after the first few hours, I didn't find FFII too hard anyway. Just fight a few additional random encounters every now and then and you should be ok.

When I played I let Maria use magic whenever possible (when she still had MP left), thus making her the mage of the group. For the other characters I mostly used the attack commando. Oh, and I would reccomend that you put all the characters in the front row so they get hit more often, and thus gain more max HP.

sos tasty pies lol. yep origins edition and i just mastered ff1 (well only 98% bestiary but 100% items, lv 50,all spells and beat warmech), dont have ff3 and ff6 mastered 2 years ago. guess my head is gonna be very sore.

wow i can just press attack cancel, really? that sounds sweet. i tryed attacking my ppl but even maria seems to kill gus with 1 hit, none of my main three have even broke 100 hp yet lol. but yeah, thanks very much 4 all your tips, i will try them on nxt play.

also more qs? is there any super bosses like warmech in ff1 or other really powerful enemy or is it an ff6 job?

and is it possible to reach max stats? and should i bother training that high?
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Do NOT bother training to max stats. Sheesh, you're only 1 hour into the game your first play through! There are several bosses who are optional and are VERY difficult compared to the final boss, but don't bother worrying about things like that when you've only just started playing. Even with them you won't need to max out your stats. Maxing out one per character is good, but un-necesarry.

Now, this is all outlined in the manual, but the stat raising system is very easy to get the hang of. Basically, raising one attribute is as simple as using it. To get better at attacking, attack. However, it lowers certain other stats to keep characters balanced. Attacking a lot raises your strength, weapon skill and accuracy. It also lowers your intelligence (black magic) and spirit (white magic). To get more HP, lose a lot of HP during battle. Getting targetted by an enemy in a fight raises your agility, and getting hit raises your defense. Casting white magic raises your spirit and MP but lowers your strength. Casting black magic raises your intelligence and MP but lowers your defense. Basically they did this so that you couldn't easily create a team of super beings that easily crush everything in sight. They also made raising stats take a ridiculously long time. You CAN select an enemy then unselect them and then select them again to make this go faster. However, when you do this, the last member of your party gets left WAY behind. There is no way to speed up the whole process other than the select/cancel trick.

Also, spells need to be levelled up individually. Cast fire a lot during battle and eventually it'll become fire2, then fire3 etc. until it maxes out at fire16 and trust me on this one, there is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO HAVE ANY SPELL BE AT LEVEL 16. Sure it makes things ridiculously easy, but you can get through just fine with having a few spells at level 10. I really only ever used cure, esuna, basuna, haste, life, holy, fire, ice, bolt, flare and ultima. I think there's one brief point in the game where poison is useful for about 5 seconds. At any rate, don't worry too much about getting everyone super strong. At least, not until you can select the standard difficulty option

lol well ok i guess my first play will be the tester and if the game doesnt suck, master on second play. i was just hoping i could master it in 1 like ff1.

cool super bosses! must find them.

so like should i only bother like making maria a magic user, gus a fighter, firion a red mage equivelent etc?

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Do whatever you want with them. There's nothing that says you can't make Gus your dedicated white mage, Maria your super strong sword fighter and Firion your timid archer who hides in the back row. That's why FF2 is so cool. You can really do pretty much whatever you want with your characters. You can even try weird things like not getting any magic or weapons. Of course, that'll just make all your characters really good fist fighters.... Yeah, I don't think there's actually much you can do to make your characters WORSE. I personally make Firion my Paladin (Knight + White Mage), Maria gets to hide in the back, cast black magic and occasionally shoot an arrow or two, and Gus gets 2 axes and becomes a cuisinart of death. Of the other characters you get, some are already awesome (Mindu is a kickass white mage), and some aren't (Gordon is good at getting killed a lot), but no matter what the character is like when you get them, you can do ANYTHING to them after that point. You could change Mindu into a black mage (on Origins, in the FC version you can't forget spells), you can make Gordon an even deadlier axemaster than my Gus if you'd like. This is why I keep playing the game even though I suck at it.