Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Black Mages suck

You forgot one thing, poindexter. RED MAGES CAN ONLY USE UP TO LEVEL 5 MAGIC! Sure they have so-called 'better' attack, but so what? They can only hit half as hard as half as hard as the fighter. (or 1/4. kinda confusing ) Sure he's kind of good in the beginning, but after that halfpoint in the game, they suck!
    Second, black mages are the best. As they have Nuke.
    and if this doesn't sway you then you're just being stubborn.

and plus, when you're red mage can only heal so much because he only has cure, then you're in trouble.

Thanks to Sagensyg for the sig!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman222
    You forgot one thing, poindexter. RED MAGES CAN ONLY USE UP TO LEVEL 5 MAGIC! Sure they have so-called 'better' attack, but so what? They can only hit half as hard as half as hard as the fighter. (or 1/4. kinda confusing ) Sure he's kind of good in the beginning, but after that halfpoint in the game, they suck!
    Second, black mages are the best. As they have Nuke.
    and if this doesn't sway you then you're just being stubborn.

and plus, when you're red mage can only heal so much because he only has cure, then you're in trouble.

Oh yes and you too forgot something, Black Mages cannot learn NUKE! Only Black Wizards can!

When I say Red Mages are better then Black Mages, I am also saying that RW are better then BW. And the Rw can learn up to level 7 magic. Which for experienced players like me it is good enough. Wow he doesnt get to cast 1 or 2 casts of Nuke at the end of the game. He is missing a lot[/Sarcasm]

The Red Mages attack is more like only half of the fighters. Not 1/4. Unlike the Bm whose attack is like 1/1000 of the fighters.

Like I said if you have a good party then there is no need to cast Cure every turn.

Good thing they fixed all of these problems in DoS.

-Magic Damage is actually based on defence! Yay!
    -Haste (FAST) is really useful.
    -MP are no longer divided between levels.
    Sigless

I like BMs. Especialy in the beggining, I find them prety usefull. So what if he doesn't have high attack, he is supposed to cast magic after all.

Also, if you say that BMs suck because RMs are better, you could also say that all the other clases suck because Fighters are better. I think all the classes are good for something else, and some class being better doesn't make the others worse.

Quote Originally Posted by GLR
    I like BMs. Especialy in the beggining, I find them prety usefull. So what if he doesn't have high attack, he is supposed to cast magic after all.
    Yeah the Bm whole purpose is to cast magic but what does he do when he runs out of magic? Unless you are like level 20 on the marsh cave-Earth cave he runs out very fast. So what does he do after that? Nothing excepts waste heal potions and take up a valuable stop. Thats why the Red Mage is so much better. You can save his magic by attacking until you really need it. THen when he runs out, he can attack again and contribute to the fight. You cant say the same thing about the Bm.

Quote Originally Posted by GLR
    Also, if you say that BMs suck because RMs are better, you could also say that all the other clases suck because Fighters are better. I think all the classes are good for something else, and some class being better doesn't make the others worse.
    Yep I do think the others suck compared to a fighter. But I still like them. Except Wm of course. They can at least contribute to more then 5 battles.

Well, yes, it would be stupid to say that Red Mages suck because Fighters are better, but that's because the two have very distinct abilities.

Black Mage's ability is to use black magic. Red Mage essentially has the same ability, but he also white magic and fair physical stats.

Black magic + NUKE < black magic + white magic + worthwhile Att. & Def. stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mage FF1
    Its been awhile since anyone has posted on this. Anyway

Like I have said again and again. The higher level spells that the Bm can learn that the Rm cannot learn ARE NOT THAT GREAT. They are highly overrated. OMG NO NUKE? NO SABER? A SPELL THAT DOES NOT WORK? What a loss. The Rm amount of mp is not an issue at all. Yeah Bm gets a little more mp than the Rm but if you have a good party then the amount of mp the Rm has is more then enough. Oh and the Rm does not suck at melee. He has the 3rd best throughout the whole game.

Wm and Bm your favorite class!?! AHAHAHAHA! Why is that? You like weak characters who sit in just about every battle doing nothing? At least when the Rm waits for his spells to be needed (Like healing), he can attack and contribute to damage. What does the Wm do when no one needs to be healed? Sit and lose hp? Attack for terrible damage? Same goes for Bm he sucks up so much heal spells/potions. The only thing he can do is casts spells but once his mp is all up(which happens very fast) than what?

Really I wonder what is so great about the Wm and Bm.....
    I beat the game with a Black Wizard and a White Wizard to be exact. My Black Wizard defeated Chaos and my WhZ constantly healed my party(Wether they were fully healed or not, because Chaos would attack them anyways and my White Wizard seemed to heal after he attacked every round). My Warriors were doing little to no damage while my Black Wizard was owning Chaos's ass. Not once did my White Wizard or Black Wizard die, those Knights seemed to like to die a lot though. I ended up having my Knights use Ethers on my Wizards while they Healed / Attacked Chaos. (Note that I had exactly 99 Ethers when I started the fight with Chaos and had 52 when I finished.)

So how about you shut the hell up, ok?
    Last edited by Seraf; 02-08-2005 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraf
    I beat the game with a Black Wizard and a White Wizard to be exact. My Black Wizard defeated Chaos and my WhZ constantly healed my party(Wether they were fully healed or not, because Chaos would attack them anyways and my White Wizard seemed to heal after he attacked every round). My Warriors were doing little to no damage while my Black Wizard was owning Chaos's ass. Not once did my White Wizard or Black Wizard die, those Knights seemed to like to die a lot though. I ended up having my Knights use Ethers on my Wizards while they Healed / Attacked Chaos. (Note that I had exactly 99 Ethers when I started the fight with Chaos and had 52 when I finished.)

So how about you shut the hell up, ok?
    1. All of my posts are over the Origins and NES version not the crappy DoS version.

2. If your Knight is taking little to no damage you must not be using him right. Next time try casting Haste/Steel and equip him with a powerful sword (whatever the best one is in DoS)

3. If your Knight (who has like 300 + more HP and defense then the Bm and Wm) is dying more then them then you must have like no armor on him. Hell I cant remember the last time my Knight ever died in a battle (with exception of Instant death attacks). Even with a solo Knight at level 28 I beat CHAOS without dying on the origins version and NES.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mage FF1
    1. All of my posts are over the Origins and NES version not the crappy DoS version.
    Thank you for saying this. DoS is way too easy, and BM/BW are way more useful in DoS because the MP system is changed. In the original one, by the time you went to fight Chaos, you really only have about 2 or 3 nukes that you can cast without having to leave and go to an inn or use a house. And the difference in damage is insane in the NES version. It's crazy because you'll cast it on a group of 4 enemies, all the same guys, and it will hurt one of them for 400 damage and one of them for 70. Crazy. Not too useful.

But I do like the BMs HAST and TMPR spells that you can use to make your fighter hit even harder. I don't know for sure if RM/RWs can use these spells too, but even if they can, I'd still rather use a BM/BW for tradition's sake.

The absolute worst character in FF1 is the Black Belt. He doesn't get good until about level 10, which takes ages in the NES version. I'd sooner use a Thief for his fleeing ability.
    I don't know what version you're referencing, but I own all 3 and I can say that the BB hits harder than any other class, once you turn him into master. He can do more damage with his attack than the BM do with Nuke, or the fighter can do with attack, and certainly more than the Ninja. Seriously, in the original, I've fought chaos having only my Master attack him, and having other 3 use items that don't do anything every round, and Chaos was dead in 4 hits. (NES version)

Feion
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

Red Mage can indeed use FAST and TMPR. They're pretty much his best options in boss fights.

And yes, Master is totally awesome against Chaos. It's almost unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by desh
    Why does it seem like so many ppl hate the Black Belt? Granted he is pretty worthless up until level 10, but after that he pretty much stays on par with the Fighter/Knight in terms of damage. It's like this: fighter gets new sword, and jumps up in damage, you level up some, and the black belt catches up to fighter in dealing damage, then fighter gets new sword, and the process repeats. But after level 42 or so Black Belt does more damage; I know 42 is a pretty high level, but I know most of you probably level up that high, and seeing your Black Belt/Master dealing out 2k+ damage is really cool.
    True, but, unless you have other, better characters to back them up, they won't make it far. I once wondered why people hated them too, but then I figured "Hey, why not try a BB/BB/BB/BB game?" Still, they DO have their upsides.

About Black Mages, though... their actually my favourite class, but if you don't entirely love magic, then I can understand why one might hate them... they don't get terribly strong until aroung Elfland, when you get FIR2, LIT2, and ICE2, at which point it becomes unstoppable, if backed up by other characters. My favourite party is FI/FI/WM/BM.

Ah now it is time for THE JACKEL'S view on thing.

The best party is.... Fighter/dead/dead/dead, yes it really is. Think it's crazy, try it! When he becomes knight and get's those low white magic, impossible to lose, plus you get 4x EXP, so it's all good.

My old friend always said fighter/fighter/redmage/redmage which is actually pretty good, but too expensive if you ask me.

Now as for the black mage controversy, I think it depends on which version you play. FFI NES yeah he's not all that important, though he does become a good fighter with the catclaw. I usually use him though because he saves time alot against those large groups of enemies, and the redmage tends to tick me off sometimes. Oh, and why would you give him the masamune? Any person can be a good fighter with the masamune, so you know what that means, WHITE MAGE. Give the white mage the masamune, because you don't need to heal EVERY turn, and he/she kicks some serious arse.

Oh and for all you people who say the black belt suck, you're dumb. He's actually the best attacker, and cheap, so why complain. I bet 4 black belts would be an awesome party if you put in the effort early. Just think, NO WEAPONS, and the heal staff later would be good in combo with potions, cause in truth people, magic wasn't all that useful in FFI NES.

Now FF DoS is a completely different story. Using actual MP, I can't say how many times the Black mage has helped. Fighting 9 undead people, my fighter is paralyzed, then my black belt, damn I'm screwed, FIRA all dead. It's quite nice. And with all the MP he does get over a redmage in that version, yeah it's better. And don't go saying I'm an idiot and don't appreciate the oldies, because I do and FFI NES was the first game I ever played myself, and I love going back and playing with all sorts of parties. Which makes me think, anyone ever beat it with one black belt?

THE JACKEL

Default MAGES ARISE!!!KUUPO!!!

I SIMPLY LOVE ALL MAGE CLASSES. MY FAVORITE PARTY IS FH/RM/WM/BM AND ITS COOL TO PLAY THAT WAY. MAGIC ALWAYS HAS THE ADVANTAGE OF ELEMENTAL WEAKNESSES AND ALSO THE POSIBILITY TO DELIVER NON ELEMENTAL ATTACKS AND HEAL/REVIVE. USING THAT PARTY I HAVE FINISHED ALL THE NES GAME WITHOUT DYING ONCE OR SAVING. TO USE ONLY FIGHTERS IS DAMN BORING... KUPO, YOU REDUCE THE GAME TO PRESSING A BUTTON CONTINOUSLY. MAGIC IS GREAT, AND MP'S SHOULDNT BE A PROBLEM IF YOU ARE A SMART USER. IF YOU THINK THAT MAGIC IS WEAK, THEN I SUSPECT YOU JUST ARE NOT A WISE MP ECONOMIST. HOWEVER, RED MAGES LOOK THE COOLEST AND ARE INDEED MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS.