Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black Mages suck

Grin Black Mages suck

Yep the Bm's in FF1 blow big time, so discuss
    Talk about the worst/crappiest/useless character in FF1. AKA the Bm.
    Last edited by Black Mage FF1; 04-17-2004 at 10:51 PM.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mage FF1
    Talk about the worst/crappiest/useless character in FF1.
    Yeah, those Black Belts sure do suck
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> FF1 BM rocks..
    BTW, Isnt "Black Mage FF1" your nickname?
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Yep it sure is....heh

But I dont see how anyone can like the Bm. Compared to the Rm he is uterly useless. There is no point in taking him instead of a Rm (unless you want Nuke).
    Last edited by Black Mage FF1; 05-25-2004 at 06:50 PM.

And perhaps for the fact that the INT of the Black Mage is twice as large as that of the Red Mage. Thus his magic does twice as much damage. Do you even check stats?
    Signatures are for wimps?

Rarely
    Bid my blood to run,before i come undone.Save me from the nothing i've become...

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Black Belts suck!
    Figaro Castle

LOL! Umm no. The amount of INT has nothing to do with magic dmg. Hell a lvl 50 Bm with maxed INT casting Fire will do just the same amount of dmg as a lvl 1 Rm casting Fire.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Compare a BM+WM to a RM. The RM gets moderate fighting skills; totally worthless after, say, the Earth Cave, where the BM has enough magic to use a spell just about every turn for the rest of the game. The RM doesn't get all the level 7 or 8 magic; NUKE, FADE, LIF2, WALL, those are nice to have. RM has higher defense, but mages go in the back row, and they don't get hit that often.

If I want magic, I want as much magic as possible. If your mages are going to be sitting in the back row, there's no reason not to take a BM over an RM, because a BM gets more magic, and magic is the reason you take mages.

All depends on your style and your party though. I prefer specialized characters. A Fighter who only fights, a BM who only uses black magic, a WM who only heals. I don't like watering down my mages by trading some of their magic (their only purpose in the game) for the ability to wield the Fighter's left-over medium-strength weapons. RMs are good if you want a mage who is also a tank. RM/RM/WM/BM party is nice. F/RM/WM/BM is nice. All depends on what your party is. The WM/BM are far from useless though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne
    Compare a BM+WM to a RM. The RM gets moderate fighting skills; totally worthless after, say, the Earth Cave, where the BM has enough magic to use a spell just about every turn for the rest of the game. The RM doesn't get all the level 7 or 8 magic; NUKE, FADE, LIF2, WALL, those are nice to have. RM has higher defense, but mages go in the back row, and they don't get hit that often.
    It is far from worthless after the earth cave. His attack is strong and usefull throughout the game (the third best throughout majority of the game). The Bm is not. He doesnt have enough Mp to last every fight. If you go into a cave and start casting spells right off the bat he will not have anymore mp when you finally reach a boss. The Rm however can save up his magic for important fights by attacking. Yes I know that the Rm doesnt get lvl 8 magic, but so what? WOW he doesnt get NUKE! Instead he gets good Hp,defense and attack power. Something a Bm will never get! Personally I rather have all 3 of that than 2 casts of Nuke.

If I want magic, I want as much magic as possible. If your mages are going to be sitting in the back row, there's no reason not to take a BM over an RM, because a BM gets more magic, and magic is the reason you take mages.
    Well yeah but you see the Rm can do that too. But once he runs out of magic he can attack and become usefull. Unlike the Bm who attacks for 1 dmg.

All depends on your style and your party though. I prefer specialized characters. A Fighter who only fights, a BM who only uses black magic, a WM who only heals. I don't like watering down my mages by trading some of their magic (their only purpose in the game) for the ability to wield the Fighter's left-over medium-strength weapons. RMs are good if you want a mage who is also a tank. RM/RM/WM/BM party is nice. F/RM/WM/BM is nice. All depends on what your party is. The WM/BM are far from useless though.
    Well you can take 2 red mages and make one with all black and one with all white. But like I said I would rather have a character who can actually DO something after his job of casting magic is done. BTW I will admit the Wm is usefull at times but the Bm is utter crap.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

He doesnt have enough Mp to last every fight.

A level 12 BM (pretty good time to go after Lich) has 18 spells total. Saving one FIR3 for Lich leaves 17. That's enough magic for me to make it to Lich. Depends how much you wander around, I guess.

WOW he doesnt get NUKE! Instead he gets good Hp,defense and attack power. Something a Bm will never get! Personally I rather have all 3 of that than 2 casts of Nuke.

I'd rather have NUKE, so there you go. BM isn't useless if you value NUKE, and I do, and apparently a lot of other people do too. Not to mention all the other spells a BM gets that an RM doesn't.

Well yeah but you see the Rm can do that too. But once he runs out of magic he can attack and become usefull. Unlike the Bm who attacks for 1 dmg.

I assume you're exaggerating. BM does more than 1 damage for most of the game.

But like I said I would rather have a character who can actually DO something after his job of casting magic is done.

The job is never done.

He doesnt have enough Mp to last every fight.

A level 12 BM (pretty good time to go after Lich) has 18 spells total. Saving one FIR3 for Lich leaves 17. That's enough magic for me to make it to Lich. Depends how much you wander around, I guess.
    Well yeah if you include EVERY spell. But tell me something. Is FIRE1 and ICE1 powerful enough to kill enemies in the Earth cave? I think not. It will take more then just that. Plus a lot of the enemies in the Earth Cave come in groups of 4 or higher. So you would have to use a lot of the lvl 3 spells on them. But what about when you reach Kary in the Fire cave? Thats when the Bm really sucks. All of his spells do terrible dmg on her. Same goes for Tiamat. Yeah he can cast FAST on the Fighters but what then? Cast spells for 20-60 dmg?

I'd rather have NUKE, so there you go. BM isn't useless if you value NUKE, and I do, and apparently a lot of other people do too. Not to mention all the other spells a BM gets that an RM doesn't.
    Yeah but every other black spells are crap. Lets not forget that the Rm gets spells that the Bm does not. Like I said before I can stand to miss 2 casts of Nuke.

I assume you're exaggerating. BM does more than 1 damage for most of the game.
    Yes I was exaggerating. But still 5 dmg isnt any good.
    Last edited by Black Mage FF1; 04-16-2004 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mage FF1
    Same goes for Tiamat. Yeah he can cast FAST on the Fighters but what then? Cast spells for 20-60 dmg?
    Well, you can have another person trying to exploit his strange weakness to BANE.

But as for the RM vs. BM thing, I have an idea. be like me and bring one of each. A F/TH/RM/BM team has done fine for me.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

They are useful to attack everyone at once. Other than that, I prefer a Knight or Ninja.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Paladin_Cecil
    Well, you can have another person trying to exploit his strange weakness to BANE.

But as for the RM vs. BM thing, I have an idea. be like me and bring one of each. A F/TH/RM/BM team has done fine for me.
    Do you know how rare it is to get bane to work on the 2nd fight? It is pretty high. IIRC it is near 1/125 chance. As for the party suggestion, I would rather use a FT/TH/RM/WM or my favorite party, FT/TH/BB/RM then a FT/TH/RM/BM.