Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major League Soccer

Actually I have heard of Nilmar, because as you say it is likely he will come to Europe next season which unfortunately for Internacional would mean him joining smack bang in the middle of their league campaign. Well at least they will have him for the state championships. Chelsea are interested and trust me they will have absolutely no qualms with throwing 20 million pounds at Internacional to pry him away. Work Permit permitting.

Its a bit pointless asking me how many Brasilian teams I know becasue I have the internet at my disposal and could easily just look them up. Sufficed to say, championship manager has taught me well and I know a fair few. All the major ones you liseted above are pretty much givens. I wish the English Premier League was a bit more irregular you know, it would certainly make things interesting if there was a different championship every year, and I find the Brasilian State Championship competition intruiging, would I be correct in thinking that teams from across the National Divisions are thrown in to one group depending on their area, such as the Sao Paulo state championship? Also there are various programmes on English T.V that show highlights of games all over South America, from the Copa Liberatores etc. I like Farfan from Lima, what do you think of him?

Sorry Dark Dragon, I think arrogant was perhaps the wrong word to describe what you said. Confident would be better, being Brasilian you are in the prime position to criticise other teams, because your national side are 5 time world cup winners.

Hey Bert, do you live in the U.S, wheres your nearest big city?

Oh and King Bahamut, it was 1-0 to the USA, big Eddie Pope scored in the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sark
    I knew Rivaldo would go there, I just had an inkling over Xmas when there was talk of him coming to England.

Also...concerning Australian Football....

You can't seriously expect major Premier League clubs to allow their Australian stars, your Kewells, your Vidukas, your Emertons, to leave their club straight after a match at the weekend, take a 14-15 hour flight to meet up with the International Team, play a match, and then get back on the plane and fly all the way back. They would be exhausted and miss vital games when you consider the mammoth schedule involved with the Premier League, especially when there are European tournaments to consider, and relegation battles.
    Why? Cricketers do this all the time, and for significantly longer periods. If you choose to have top players play for your team, you have to accept the fact that they won't always be available to play.

Yes but the cricket season is nowhere near as busy the football season, also cricket is worth pittance comapared to football in terms of the economy. Also when England go and play cricket in australia and inevitably get beaten in your summer, it is englands winter, therefore its the cricket off season, like it still is in england at the moment so they have plenty of time to go off galavanting in Oz in between getting hammered at cricket. What I said was only concerning middle of season int. friendlies, of course there is no excuse for not joining the Australian Squad for a competetive match, if such a thing exists, qualifiers etc. It is accepted that top players may have to be away, take the African Nations for example. And did you happen to notice the 11 players Oz put out against S.A. Bresciano, Viduka, Cahill, Emerton, Schwarzer, Popovic, Kewell, Skoko etc all HAD been released by their respective and in some cases, Liverpool, Parma, Leeds, Basle, major clubs. Being the large Australian Population in London and the fact that Loftus Road was nearly sold out, its fair to say that this is not a bad thing for Australian Football. Australia need all the practice they can get if they are to have any hope of qualifying for World Cup 2006 after horribly screwing up the qualifier for 2002, and to get practice means to play friendlies and quite frankly that is never going to happen in Australia in the the middle of the European football calender, its just too busy, which is why England is the perfect place to play mid season Australian Friendlies.

Maybe the ASA should think about organising an Australian League Select XI (if they do not already I don't know) to showcase the talent there is in Australia. They could organise friendlies against other countries, Botswana and Chad are often available, and then you would have some matches to go to while the European season is still in effect. In the Euro off season there is no reason why the top players should not play their home friendlies in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sark
    Maybe the ASA should think about organising an Australian League Select XI (if they do not already I don't know) to showcase the talent there is in Australia. They could organise friendlies against other countries, Botswana and Chad are often available, and then you would have some matches to go to while the European season is still in effect. In the Euro off season there is no reason why the top players should not play their home friendlies in Australia.
    Yeah, we have the Oceania Cup, where we fielded a roughly fifth XI and lost the final to New Zealand...

But seriously in cricket, there is no International 'off-season'. The time of year dictates where, not whether, matches are played. But seriously, when Hampshire signed Shane Warne, they deal with the fact that they will not have his services for half of the season.

And with regards to football, I agree that yes, playing in London is the best thing for Australian soccer. I just think it's a shame that Australians hardly ever get to see a full strength team play in Australia. The problem is with the way football works. Too much money ruins the game.

I meant the cricket clubs have off seasons. Which they do. I know what time of year dictates whether a game is played, sorry if I led you to believe I was ignorant of this. The international game as for most sports, does not rest, i know this.

As for too much money ruining the game, this is true to a certain extent I agree. I certainly don't think clubs like Madrid and Chelsea trying to get a monopoly on the worlds best players will do football any favours, but in turn I don't think it has a negative effect on the International game, especially for emerging football nations where FIFA are starting to inject more money into, eg, the U.S.A and Africa, where Sepp Blatter is intent on staging 2010 world cup.