Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ending of FF8....

The Ending of FF8....

Hiya,
    I'm new here so i'm not sure if anyone has already discussed this,but the end of ff8 has always confused me a little...Does squall die?because when you see selphie filming rinoa at the end squall isn't there, but in the scene after he is and kisses rinoa.Was it the camera angle that didn't show squall being there or was he like a ghost or something?Argh!I'm confused!Help!LOL
    -Charli

umm no he didn't die, first It's Irvine filming, and when the credits are done it shows Rinoa pointing to the stars as if someone is beside her, then Squall appears, maby he was just off to the side or just cam back from the bathroom . or the camera angle. But No, he didn't die.

A Perpetual X-Phile ShivaBlizzard8's Avatar

*nods*
    Yeah, in the end he kind of passes out from exhaustion/giving up, and I think Rinoa is supposed to believe that he might be dead when she finds him. However, when the flower field appears, she gets this surprised look on her face, which I assume is Squall regaining conciousness.
    Plus, in the end, you see Selphie conspiritously pointing out to the balcony, her face clearly showing a desire to catch Squall and Rinoa in an intimate moment. If Rinoa was alone or talking to herself, I hardly think Selphie would be trying to catch it on camera. That, and the other characters would be more upset. I would hope.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Nah, they were psyched 'cause they finally got rid of Mr. "I'm too important to use complete sentences".

Just kidding. But I really think that even if Squall HAD died, it wouldn't keep Zell from his hot dogs, or Selphie from acting like a ferret on crack.

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't think he'd died but i was confused!*sighs* thanks again!
    -Charli

Are you guys absolutely positive that he didn't die? What it's always seemed to me, is that after Squall has all the flashbacks of Rinoa and then sees the glass in her space suit bust he kills himself with his gunblade.

This would explain why Rinoa is so sad upon finding him on the ground, even after holding him in her arms. (which would normally tip her off that he is just unconcious.) The scenery suddenly changes from dreary to happy and Sqall wakes back up. It would seem to me that he was revived in a sense due to Rinoa's love for him.
    Need you
    Dream
    you
    Find
    you
    Taste
    you
    Use
    you
    Scar
    you
    Break
    you

Lose
    me
    Hate
    me
    Smash
    me
    Erase
    me
    Kill
    Me

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Remember the very very very end? Rinoa points to another shooting star, Squall smiles, and they kiss?

yay?

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Moo the Ner Cow
    Remember the very very very end? Rinoa points to another shooting star, Squall smiles, and they kiss?

yay?
    I remember. Your point?
    Need you
    Dream
    you
    Find
    you
    Taste
    you
    Use
    you
    Scar
    you
    Break
    you

Lose
    me
    Hate
    me
    Smash
    me
    Erase
    me
    Kill
    Me

Quote Originally Posted by Plenty_Purple
    Are you guys absolutely positive that he didn't die? What it's always seemed to me, is that after Squall has all the flashbacks of Rinoa and then sees the glass in her space suit bust he kills himself with his gunblade.

This would explain why Rinoa is so sad upon finding him on the ground, even after holding him in her arms. (which would normally tip her off that he is just unconcious.) The scenery suddenly changes from dreary to happy and Sqall wakes back up. It would seem to me that he was revived in a sense due to Rinoa's love for him.
    Kill himself with the gunblade? What? I know after he sees the flashback of the glass of Rinoa's spacesuit breaking the screen goes kind of black for a second and you hear the slicing sound that the gunblade makes, but that doesn't imply he killed himself with the gunblade, that's just a sound effect, kind of ending his halucinations. And Rinoa wasn't exactly holding Squall in her arms until like a second before the flower field appeared. That wasn't enough time to check for vitals, especially in the sad sate she was in.

I don't think he died, I think he just passed out, lost the will the go on. And Rinoa bringing him back to reality brings him back.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

Sepukku with a gunblade? Ouch.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

Quote Originally Posted by SeedRankLou
    Kill himself with the gunblade? What? I know after he sees the flashback of the glass of Rinoa's spacesuit breaking the screen goes kind of black for a second and you hear the slicing sound that the gunblade makes, but that doesn't imply he killed himself with the gunblade, that's just a sound effect, kind of ending his halucinations. And Rinoa wasn't exactly holding Squall in her arms until like a second before the flower field appeared. That wasn't enough time to check for vitals, especially in the sad sate she was in.

I don't think he died, I think he just passed out, lost the will the go on. And Rinoa bringing him back to reality brings him back.
    The characters don't usually cry when one of them passes out. I think this implies that Rinoa actually believed Squall was dead. She embraces him for several moments and cries on him and whatnot before the flower field appears, and when she looks back down he is awakening.

As for the possibly suicide, sure it could have just been a sound effect, but that's the last thing you hear before the screen goes white. The next time you see him he is on the ground where Rinoa finds him, where she believes him to be dead. Sure, there is no blood or markings on him to show that he killed himself, but in FF there never is.
    Need you
    Dream
    you
    Find
    you
    Taste
    you
    Use
    you
    Scar
    you
    Break
    you

Lose
    me
    Hate
    me
    Smash
    me
    Erase
    me
    Kill
    Me

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Plenty_Purple
    I remember. Your point?
    IF HE'S THERE THEN HE'S NOT DEAD WTFBBQ

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Plenty_Purple, I think you're going out on a tangent there. Your hypothesis seems highly unlikely. I'm gonna have to go with the majority and say he just passed out.

He did pass out..he did not die, I mean what was the whole point in playing the game if squall dies?
    Last edited by Rusty; 06-07-2004 at 03:23 PM.

I'm begining to wonder if you people actually read what I said or not. While I think he died, obviously he was revived (as I said in my original post).

To me, it seems unlikely that after all that has happened he would just 'pass out' as soon as he was left alone. Did Rinoa start crying when she saw him pass out and go into the 'dream world'? No, she didn't. However this time she breaks down into tears. This obviously hints at the fact that he is dead. It's only after the scenery changes to the place they were supposed to meet that he is 'revived' and comes back to her.
    Need you
    Dream
    you
    Find
    you
    Taste
    you
    Use
    you
    Scar
    you
    Break