Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This book is not one to be simply tossed aside. It should be thrown with great force.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Lord of the Flies. I was forced to read it for my English classes, and I absolutely hated it.

The word "Boring" just doesn't do this book justice.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Originally posted by King Bahamut
    OMG I think I read that book once. What was it about?
    Heres a summary that words it in an attempt to make it actually sound semi interesting:

"In the summer of 1768, Matt Hallowell and his father establish a homestead in Maine territory. When his father returns to Quincy, Massachusetts to fetch Matt's mother and sister, Matt is left alone to guard the house. One day he is almost killed by a swarm of bees, but is rescued by Chief Saknis, a Penobscot Indian, and his grandson, Attean. To repay Saknis for saving his life, Matt agrees to teach Attean to read English. At the same time, Matt is learning to become a skilled hunter from Attean. Saknis offers to adopt Matt and take him north with the tribe as it moves to new hunting grounds. Matt knows that he would be proud to be Attean's brother, but he also knows he must wait for his own family."

And heres a shot of the cover:

Basically 98.5% of the book is about this boy sitting in an empty cabin alone in the middle of nowhere, describing how things look, and how "Johnnycakes" taste, and how to make them. Then he talks about bees flying in the cabin, he runs off outside, runs into some "half-naked red people" (yes, thats what the book says), talks about how scary and weird they are, except one he kinda becomes 'friends' with, and he ask him to become his "tribe/spirit brother" or something to that effect and live with them but he says no and goes back and continues to wait in that empty cabin...then they come back and theres like 2 more paragraphs remaining in the book that just talks about the boys dad coming back and his mom died while they were gone or something. THE END.

It was so bad that I swore to myself if I ever have a kid and he/she takes a class that requires him/her to suffer reading it I'll say no, and change their school if necessary.
    Last edited by DMKA; 05-02-2004 at 10:25 AM.
    I like Kung-Fu.

<i>When the Legends Die</i>, without question. I would not care to remember who wrote it.

Lord of the Flies. Probably most borning book I have ever had the displeasure to read.

Quote Originally Posted by devilmaykickass
    "The Sign of the Beaver" by Elizabeth George Spear

We were forced to read it for English in 7th grade *shudders at horrid memories*.
    DUDE! Sign of the Beaver was great! I read it for fun on multiple occasions! Heehee.
    "It's an adult kiss...we'll do the rest when you get back." -Misato Katsuragi

[size=1]Soul Calibur r0x0rz my b0x0rz!
    Actually... I don't wear boxers, but Soul Calibur r0x0rz my briefz0rz just doesn't have the same ring to it...

**Proud owner of the Mercedes Scar**

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I enjoyed:

The Great Gatsby - Come on, old sport, this was an entertaining battle between old money and new money. And Nick reminds me of myself, always the observer, never the participator. But I do think this shouldn't be the 'great American novel' that so many claim it to be. The Grapes of Wrath should be reserved for that honor. But Gatsby's contradictions and witticisms alone were enough for me to like it.

Of Mice and Men - The dynamic between George and Lenny was great. This book actually made me feel an emotion, so it can't be all that bad.

The Scarlett Letter - Only good because Hawthorne has a very distictive style of writing. Also the demon references toward the child were very interesting. Too bad the back cover told me who the father was before I even started. Oh well.

Lord of the Flies - Not for everyone, but the statement about man's savagery is pretty powerful. Simon was my favorite.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

'War of the Worlds' by H.G. Wells. Dull and with no real characters as such.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I hated <i>The Scarlett Letter</i> when I read it in 10th grade, but I don't know if I would still hate it. <i>The Great Gatsby</i> is awesome.

The worst book I read for school was <i>The Woman Warrior</i> by Maxine Hong Kingston.

Quote Originally Posted by devilmaykickass
    Heres a summary that words it in an attempt to make it actually sound semi interesting:

"In the summer of 1768, Matt Hallowell and his father establish a homestead in Maine territory. When his father returns to Quincy, Massachusetts to fetch Matt's mother and sister, Matt is left alone to guard the house. One day he is almost killed by a swarm of bees, but is rescued by Chief Saknis, a Penobscot Indian, and his grandson, Attean. To repay Saknis for saving his life, Matt agrees to teach Attean to read English. At the same time, Matt is learning to become a skilled hunter from Attean. Saknis offers to adopt Matt and take him north with the tribe as it moves to new hunting grounds. Matt knows that he would be proud to be Attean's brother, but he also knows he must wait for his own family."

And heres a shot of the cover:

Basically 98.5% of the book is about this boy sitting in an empty cabin alone in the middle of nowhere, describing how things look, and how "Johnnycakes" taste, and how to make them. Then he talks about bees flying in the cabin, he runs off outside, runs into some "half-naked red people" (yes, thats what the book says), talks about how scary and weird they are, except one he kinda becomes 'friends' with, and he ask him to become his "tribe/spirit brother" or something to that effect and live with them but he says no and goes back and continues to wait in that empty cabin...then they come back and theres like 2 more paragraphs remaining in the book that just talks about the boys dad coming back and his mom died while they were gone or something. THE END.

It was so bad that I swore to myself if I ever have a kid and he/she takes a class that requires him/her to suffer reading it I'll say no, and change their school if necessary.
    Yeah, I read that book in 5th grade, I think, for Reading class. I hated it soooo much.

The Lord Of The Rings

The Hobbit = Good.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

OMG I jsut remembered one thats even worse than Sign of the Beaver...its called "Sarah, Plain and Tall". Yet another hellish book I was forced to read in school (6th grade I believe).
    I like Kung-Fu.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I also just read Lord of the Flies. Read it in sixth grade and then again in ninth. It was painfully boring both times.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I remember the cover of Sign of the Beaver... I dunno if we read it, though. When I see the cover all I can think of is The Hatchet, which was a darn good book.

And now I just remembered Lord of the Flies. I enjoyed that book, too. It wasnt outstanding, but it was pretty good.

I very much liked both Lord of the Flies and The Great Gatsby. Couldn't stand Their Eyes Were Watching God, but I think I just didn't get it. Or something.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

I like <i>The Scarlet Letter</i> but stop spelling it with extra letters, please.