Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Monthly Report

Quote Originally Posted by Gau
    Hey, what team has the most wins in the majors coming into today? Yeah, that's what I thought.
    That would be the Rangers.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

AND the Padres. They both got 16, boyo.
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Braves are having problems keeping the team healthy.

And playing defense. 7 errors, whoa.

Take care all.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

the Braves had the best fielding percentage before yesterday. Call it last game of a 12 game roadtrip after a doubleheader in Colorado where the body takes longer to recover. I don't think it's a trend.

I like how the Rangers supposed lack of starting pitching has pitched a combined 17 2/3 innings over the past 2 games, giving up 1 run.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Remind me to bump this thread in September.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I'll do it for you, when the A's don't make the playoffs, and Barry Zito goes to jail for the steroids.

Remeber, it's only May, and usually, players will play to their potential or lack their of by season's end. You're actually telling me King Bahamut, that you think the Rangers can win with Kenny Rogers? If so, God bless your optimism.

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

In more important news, Bonds didn't play today.

What?! No! I'm in Bonds withdrawal! Please, anything, tell me he did something today to satisfy this consuming need to know!!

In all seriousness, Bonds is a great player, but Ruth in my mind is still tops because he was a dominate hitter and pitcher. If Bonds can post an ERA under 3, then I'll sign on to say he's the greatest ever.

Take care all.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

i think the argument that Babe Ruth is better because of his pitching is silly because regardless of how great a pitcher he might have been, he was much much more valuable as a hitter in the lineup ever day. Maybe if Babe had played outfield and then pitched every fourth or fifth day for his entire career and won 300 games while hitting 700 home runs it would be a valid argument.

Articles

This thread makes me sad.

"i think the argument that Babe Ruth is better because of his pitching is silly because regardless of how great a pitcher he might have been, he was much much more valuable as a hitter in the lineup ever day. Maybe if Babe had played outfield and then pitched every fourth or fifth day for his entire career and won 300 games while hitting 700 home runs it would be a valid argument."

I think it reinforces his greatness. It don't see how Bonds can be a better player if he never pitched, quite frankly. Ruth didn't just pitch, he pitched exceptionally well. He has over 100 complete games and something like 17 shut outs to boot. Granted, he pitched in a different era, but could Bonds EVER put those kind of pitching numbers up? For all his offense and defense, he didn't pitch, which leaves him lacking.

Besides, Ruth is an everyman, he wasn't healthy, didn't take any steriods, lived the life any man wanted to live at the time. I put him, and Ali as our greatest athletes, mostly because of their achievements, but also because of their charisma and impact on the game. Ruth made baseball the American past time. After the Black Sox's scandal, he made people want to come to the ball parks again.

Ruth could have won 300 games, but became a hitter. Bonds could have never done this. I put Bonds probably second all-time behind Ruth, but it's really debating apples and oranges. Ruth couldn't have made a team these days probably because he was out of shape, but during his time period, they didn't have the same type of training they do now, so he excelled.

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Both are different players from different eras. I find it hard to pick a 'best ever' for baseball because the game has changed and evolved so much. It makes more sense to pick a best from each era: Ruth, Mays, Bonds, etc.