Thread: Disney attempts to stop Michael Moore film release

Unpostmodernizeable Shadow Nexus's Avatar

Default Disney attempts to stop Michael Moore film release

good i couldn't stand another poor analysis of a situation by moore the guy is arrogant and idiotic.
    Your sig is too hilarious and witty, thus i have removed it to protect the minds of all forum goers
    -The allways inspiring leeza

Quote Originally Posted by gokufusionss1
    good i couldn't stand another poor analysis of a situation by moore the guy is arrogant and idiotic.
    No, he just puts in doubt all the trout they feed us, it's called criticism. I like him, he's ironic too, and that helps for catching attention. Then again, he's also offensive to the "good people"...that makes him better ^^

Then again, the good people seem to like his film not being released. It reminds me to the fascist constitution we used to have before 1978 in my country: "The Spanish citizen has the right to free expression as long as it does not act against the goverment".
    Last edited by Shadow Nexus; 05-06-2004 at 01:11 PM.

Blocking movies from being produced because they're critical of the political party in power... What's next, book burners?

Realistically, I can't -really- blame Disney, if people get pissed off it could affect ratings. But it still sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Aeris
    Blocking movies from being produced because they're critical of the political party in power... What's next, book burners?
    Ironically, the movie is called Fahrenheit 9/11

Realistically, I can't -really- blame Disney, if people get pissed off it could affect ratings. But it still sucks.
    Well, in a way you are right, I do understand that from the strictically pragmatic capitalistic point of view. But I can still blame them politically.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Capitalism is nice. You are now free not to buy any Disney movies, if you so choose.

From what I read, Disney says they told Moore a whole year ago that they weren't touching his film, and Moore is making a big deal out of it as a publicity stunt. Wouldn't surprise me. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I don't think this should matter very much. Disney is making a business move. They don't want to be associated with Moore. That's okay. That's their choice. Like the article constantly mentions, Moore can find another company instead of Miramax.

I think this "politcal censoring" mentioned is absolutely horrid. It's not hurting anyone, and that man, whether people agree with him or not, is allowed to have his own opinions and voice them. If he gets censored, it would clearly be a violation of his rights under the first ammendment. He's not affecting anyone else's lives. If people don't agree with what he has to say, they don't have to watch the film.

They're making a big deal out of nothing.

Agreed Unne. I have a feeling a rival company of Disney's will pick the film up, because now they'll figure it'll draw a lot of attention.

Take care all.

Capitalism is nice. You are now free not to buy any Disney movies, if you so choose.
    Woah, I feel alive again

Agreed Unne. I have a feeling a rival company of Disney's will pick the film up, because now they'll figure it'll draw a lot of attention.
    Yes, but I find it sad such things occur. Obviously, the film will get released, even if Michael Moore has to release it himself.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

Disney is a private corporation, and they have every right in the world to not produce Moore's movie. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

And censorship is only a problem if it's the government that does the censoring.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

Who's That?

Indeed, DocFrance. Who cares if Disney doesn't want their corporation to release something? It's hardly political censoring. C'mon, people. You can't cry censorship, or most anything else, every time conservatives do something to help their party, unless it involves the law.

Now, what the city of Brunswick is doin' in Georgia is tantamount to censorship. They've passed laws that forbid posterboards over 2 feet by 3 feet, protestors have to hire their own police, they have to pay to clean up the streets, and they can't even use sticks to hold up their signs. Of course, it's goin' to be ruled unconstitutional eventually, but it's still sad.

The problem is the political pressure Disney may fear. After all, as a capitalistic company, they do what gives benefit, and this movie is bound to bring benefit. Then of course, they may have actually decided not to release it for their own ideological reasons, in thtat case I guess it's fine. However, given the classical "maximize benefit, reduce costs" that serves as dogma for this companies, I am more inclined to believe the idea of external preassure.

Then again, I'll probably never will know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne
    I haven't for a good long time. However, it's really, REALLY hard not to buy SOMEthing Disney (they own ABC, ESPN, Miramax, and I'll bet at least one or two record labels...)

From what I read, Disney says they told Moore a whole year ago that they weren't touching his film, and Moore is making a big deal out of it as a publicity stunt. Wouldn't surprise me. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
    Well, of course. What do you expect him to do, shrink into the void? That's the worst thing that he could do, just as his movie is about to world-premiere...

Quote Originally Posted by DocFrance
    And censorship is only a problem if it's the government that does the censoring.
    Not true. Some of the most egregious censors are doing it not because of their political position, but because showing it would affect their pocketbooks.

And, in fact, that will only get worse the more companies care about money. The government feeds on this, and hits a few companies with fines for selling things it doesn't like, and get all the other companies paranoid, and they go way overboard at cutting stuff, out of monetary fears. Thus, the government censors indirectly. We're seeing it happen right now with the FCC and JanetGate...
    Last edited by IlGreven; 05-08-2004 at 11:30 AM.
    Still a gigantic force on the 'Net...and still bigger in person!

"No, he just puts in doubt all the trout they feed us, it's called criticism. "

Hahaha... Unfortunately stupid white men can't take it.
    Which Final Fantasy 8 Character Are You? You are Quistis! You're a popular one. Life keeps you busy,
    but you still try to slow down once in a while and enjoy the
    world around you, in spite of how busy you are. You're in good
    shape, and you can't help being a bit of a flirt.

Take the Final Fantasy 8 Test here!