Thread: Weird Laws

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think it would be better if people in Florida just didn't have sex in the first place.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Agreed, less heart attacks in the elderly community.

Take care all.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

DEAR HEAVEN. You people have ruined my perceptual skills for good. Thanks a lot.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

These laws weren't "made" specifically, as such. I mea, the state legislature didn't get together and say, "hey, let's pass an enactment banning people from giving alcohol to fish!".

Rather, these sorts of things are common law decisions - a judge decides a court case on a particular matter, and the "rule" s/he makes applies to those particular facts.

For example, in Donghue v Stevenson, the case in my profile, it was held that ginger-beer manufacturers have a duty to make sure that dead snails don't wind up in their bottles, even if the ginger beer is ultimately drunk by someone other than the person who bought it - i.e. someone with no contracual relationship to the company.

However, the actual <i>ratio decidendi</i>, or rule of law, is that manufacturers owe a duty of care to those who ultimately make use of their product.

Every decision would seem weird if you just looked at it in light of its material facts.

- It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.
    The guy would've been charged with dangerous driving, or something similar, after being caught wearing a blindfold behind the wheel. The prosecution was able to prove, in court, that such an act constitutes "dangerous driving" under the law, so he was prosecuted.
    It is illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church.
    Probably a "public nuisance" decision or something, from the old days. Decisions like that are less likely to be followed in this day and age, but until a judge has occasion to overrule or ignore them, they technically remain "the law".

Having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.

Oh Dear God. They've found me out.

*Hails Bruckner*
    *Floats away with Fabio*

I can't believe it's not Bruckner!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Some of my favourites. I know some of them have already been mentioned, but well...

Ireland:
    - It is illegal for a student to walk through Trinity College without a sword.
    - In Trinity college, students can demand a glass of wine at any time during an exam, provided they have their sword.

England:
    - A Chelsea Pensioner may not be impersonated.
    - Any boy under the age of 10 may not see a naked mannequin.
    - It is legal for a male to urinate in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.
    - Mince pies are not to be eaten on Christmas Day.
    - A bed may not be hung out of a window.

And the rest:
    - In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless in public - except as a clerk in a tropical fish store, or in a bank if handling foreign currency.
    - In Scotland, it is illegal to be a drunk in possession of a cow.
    - Also in Scotland, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow (except on Sundays). *

* Which begs the question, it someone did indeed shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow (in a pre-meditated attack), would they be arrested and charged for it? After all, these laws do still apply.
    Last edited by Rainecloud; 05-08-2004 at 07:14 AM.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Which begs the question, it someone did indeed shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow (in a pre-meditated attack), would they be arrested and charged for it? After all, these laws do still apply.
    The current Crimes Act (or whatever) supercedes any old common-law decision. Every time a new law's made, it erases any inconsistent law from an earlier time, except Supreme Law stuff like, say, the US Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by King Bahamut
    - Those wishing to purchase a television must also buy a license.
    Yes unfortunatly, although this only accounts for two television stations (you can see the studio from my window). And this is to fund them as they pride themselfs of not having any adverts. So if you prove that you do not receive these stations Im not sure if they can charge you.
    Word/s.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansem
    Michigan
    - You may not swear in front of women and children in the state of Michigan.

That was repealed 2 or 3 years ago.
    As a direct result of it being applied in a strict sense, against a canoer who was swearing in a river, a good 1000 feet from a picnicking family...

All of Michigan
    -The floors of all adult video and book stores must be made of a hard, nonabsorbent material.
    This one actually seems quite plausible. Y'know, it's easier to clean up messes...
    Still a gigantic force on the 'Net...and still bigger in person!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

- All English males over the age 14 are to carry out 2 or so hours of longbow practice each week, supervised by the local clergy.
    - It is illegal to be drunk on Licensed Premises (in a pub or bar).
    - Any person found breaking a boiled egg at the sharp end will be sentenced to 24 hours in the village stocks
    - Placing a postage stamp that bears the Queen (or King) upside down is considered treason.
    Oh man, I'm public enemy #1. Haha, I'M A CHELSEA PENSIONER! Oh noe, I broke another law

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Arkansas - A man may beat his wife, but no more than twice a month.

Thats a true law that still applies today.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Im quite happy that Maine doesnt have any of these bizzar laws...it may explain why we're all so loony though o.O

n o - l o v e - o r - g l o r y
    Goodbyes|Me|Trinity|Us|Mako Eyes
    Mercenary

- Any person found breaking a boiled egg at the sharp end will be sentenced to 24 hours in the village stocks
    Since when do eggs have a sharp end? I was under the impression they were round.

America have some really strange laws.......

Yes, and we're proud of them.