Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Math makes me happy

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Anything below 1 is lower than 1. I don't really see the problem.(.999... < 1)

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

If .999... is less than 1, then there's a number between .999... and 1. What number is between them? 0.00...1 isn't anything that makes sense. "A decimal, followed by 0's that never end; and once they end, put a 1 after the last one". No such thing.

Super, just super.
    Now I just have to remember this crap for the fall. @_@

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I am terrible at math so math makes me a sad person.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Algebra fine let me at it I can work that stuff baby its just all about the X = Y to the power of the Z ok that I can suffer it's kinda like making love to a girl you really hate but she's got the best body on the planet so you'll suffer just so you can say afterwards "See I did that babe there" and watch your mates drop in awe. However other than that get it the hell away from me

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne
    If .999... is less than 1, then there's a number between .999... and 1. What number is between them? 0.00...1 isn't anything that makes sense. "A decimal, followed by 0's that never end; and once they end, put a 1 after the last one". No such thing.
    Prove it.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

In .000...1, the 1 comes AFTER the 0's.

Suppose the series of 0's is infinite. Then you can't put a 1 after it. If something is never-ending, you can't have anything after the end of it; it has no end. Infinity is not a number; infinity means never-ending. You can invent a number system where infinity is a number, or where there is a "greatest possible integer", but that number system is not our number system. Do you need a proof that there is no greatest integer in our number system? Suppose n is the greatest possible integer; I give you n+1; therefore n is not the greatest possible integer; this is a contradiction, therefore there is no greatest possible integer.

Suppose you CAN put a 1 after the series of 0's. Then by definition, the series of 0's is finite, because it has an end. If the series of 0's is finite, then it isn't between .999... and 1, no matter how many 0's you have. Suppose you have .0001. Well .0001 + .99999 = 1.00009. No matter how many 0's you have, I can have that many 9's plus one more 9 at the end, and then the sum will be greater than 1.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I get it... I think.

I detest math. The arts are for me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Suppose the series of 0's is infinite. Then you can't put a 1 after it. If something is never-ending, you can't have anything after the end of it; it has no end. Infinity is not a number; infinity means never-ending. You can invent a number system where infinity is a number, or where there is a "greatest possible integer", but that number system is not our number system. Do you need a proof that there is no greatest integer in our number system? Suppose n is the greatest possible integer; I give you n+1; therefore n is not the greatest possible integer; this is a contradiction, therefore there is no greatest possible integer.

Suppose you CAN put a 1 after the series of 0's. Then by definition, the series of 0's is finite, because it has an end. If the series of 0's is finite, then it isn't between .999... and 1, no matter how many 0's you have. Suppose you have .0001. Well .0001 + .99999 = 1.00009. No matter how many 0's you have, I can have that many 9's plus one more 9 at the end, and then the sum will be greater than 1.
    If you can't have 0.000....1, then you can't have 0.999...

Your number is just as irrational and infinite as mine is. I can simplify my number by calling it "the second smallest number possible." Or, if I like

1 - 0.999... = x

You're only going by the theory of a computer. It's just a matter of "the next number above zero" - it's a number, sure. It's just impossible to say what it is. Use your imagination... it's a number beyond comprehension. 0.999... is just the same. How many 9's are there? An infinite amount. How many zeros are there? An infinite amount. You just need to think outside the square, so to speak.

I can't see any proof against what I said earlier in what you just said. You're just using definitions. I don't care about definitions. I'm saying that there would be an irrational number between 1 and 0.999.... - it exists, it's just like Pi - you can't write it. It's impossible. So they give it a symbol instead! If nobody ever gave Pi the name of "Pi" and the little symbol, pi would not exist. But we all know it exists, it's just irrational. So give 1 - 0.999... (or, as I prefer to say, 0.000...01) a name. A symbol. And it will then exist. People shouldn't be so narrow minded so as to say that there is nothing inbetween one number and the next - all rational numbers have an infinite amount of numbers between them. All irratoinal numbers have other irrational numbers inbetween them.

Of course, neither of us can really prove the other wrong. It's just like a hyperbole, really. When you continuously half a number, and half it again, and so forth... do you ever end up with zero? Of course not. You just have a new half. That, too, will go on for infinity. There are so many irrational and infinite numbers that nobody can really comprehend it without naming irrational numbers and limiting infinite numbers.

EDIT: Just to play around even more with numbers.

0.9 + 0.9 = 1.8
    0.99 + 0.99 = 1.98
    0.999 + 0.999 = 1.998
    0.999... + 0.999... = 1.999...98

I love it when logic is overtaken by imagination. The possibilities become endless.

maths makes my head hurt- but each to their own!

.999 = A screwed up decimal system?

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

hi BoB

the 'second smallest number' is simply the lim (1/x) x->∞

The idea is odd. There is no number between lim (1/x) x->∞ , or that the number is infinitely small.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Peeg
    or that the number is infinitely small.
    Bingo.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Doomgaze
    there exists no number between .999... and 1, therefore .999... = 1. I don't remember the name of the theorem or law or whatever that says that, but it exists.
    I don't see how no number between .999... and 1 proves that they are the same number. .999... will always be less than 1. You don't need multiple numbers in between two numbers to prove that they are greater than or less than each other. .999... will always be a fraction less than 1, no matter how small that fraction may be, thus .999... < 1.
    Figaro Castle

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

infinitely small does not mean 0.00000...1 or whatever it is you are thinking. It's smaller than that, but greater than 0.

In fact the 'number' is still lim (1/x) x->∞

[q]I don't see how no number between .999... and 1 proves that they are the same number. .999... will always be less than 1. You don't need multiple numbers in between two numbers to prove that they are greater than or less than each other. .999... will always be a fraction less than 1, no matter how small that fraction may be, thus .999... < 1.[/q]

No. You're thinking of 9/n + 9/n² + 9/n³ + 9/nx + 9/nx+1 + ... for { x | x є Z } ; that's a finite series, not the irrational number 0.999... ; finite series != 1. Infinite series = 1.

[q]Loony BoB's stuff[/q]

the 1 = 2 proof required some funny factoring that is wrong, if I'm not mistaken.

Your point about 0.999...being irrational (infinite) and 1 being rational (finite) is wrong because 0.999... is not irrational (it's 1!)

xD
    Last edited by Peegee; 05-11-2004 at 09:10 PM.