Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

At least he suffered less than the Iraqi prisoners. Personally, I find it much more humane, and for the beheaded person, much less humiliating. Do I think he deserved to die though? Maybe not, though I can't say for sure, since I don't know the circumstances for him being in such a place and getting captured.

Or perhaps you are trying to point out the endless cycle of violence that is now going to happen much similar to Palestine/Israel, except this will be with prisoners?
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

I don't think any group of people has cornered the market on evil. Whether it's American soldiers forcing detainees in Iraq to dress in women's underwear and perform sexual acts on tape as though it's some kind of effective interrogation technique, or if its Iraqis blindly killing someone simply because he has pale skin and celebrating a bloody murder as though it's anything more than an act of complete ignorance, it's all bad to me. Shame on everyone.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arche
    At least he suffered less than the Iraqi prisoners.
    How can you say that for certain? Do you know exactly what went on in that prison?

This is horrible, and they had no right at all to take this man's life.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmaster LH
    Shame on everyone.
    That pretty much says it all. The difference is, we expect this kind of stuff from terrorists. That's why we fight them. However, we do not expect soldiers representing us to stoop to anything resembling these kinds of acts. That, Unne, is the difference. In my thread, I was not saying that the American soldiers were worse than terrorists. I was just saying that it's not the behaviour I want from troops representing my country or its allies.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

At least he suffered less than the Iraqi prisoners. --Arche

This is insane. To argue that death is "less suffering" than humiliation, or having your picture taken? Death is worse than almost everything. Even if US soldiers raped the prisoners every day, it wouldn't be worse than death, because the Iraqis would be STILL ALIVE.

Do I think he deserved to die though? Maybe not, though I can't say for sure, since I don't know the circumstances for him being in such a place and getting captured.

You think there is justification for any old group of people to cold-bloodedly murder a civilian, then dance around with his severed head in hand, and post a video of it to the internet?

I honestly feel that no sane human being can truly believe what you just said, and that you're exaggerating to the point of near-stupidity in order to make a point, so I'm going to ignore it.

However, we do not expect soldiers representing us to stoop to anything resembling these kinds of acts. That, Unne, is the difference. In my thread, I was not saying that the American soldiers were worse than terrorists. I was just saying that it's not the behaviour I want from troops representing my country or its allies. --Skogs

I agree. And I'm just trying to draw a comparison: Look what we did and how we reacted; we did something wrong, apologized to the world and prosecuted those who did wrong.

Look what THEY did. For people to even try to argue that we're as bad as they are is absolutely wrong.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm only saying that from what we know. We see and hear all these humiliating acts etc. American soldiers do on Iraqi prisoners, whilst from this other video showing the other side, a beheading.

As for having a right to take his life, well if it was a soldier, then as it's a war and he's the enemy, they have just as much right as American soldiers taking Iraqi lives. If he wasn't a soldier (I can't seem to see whether it specifies this or not on those two sites though), then no, perhaps they shouldn't.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne
    Do I think he deserved to die though? Maybe not, though I can't say for sure, since I don't know the circumstances for him being in such a place and getting captured.

You think there is justification for any old group of people to cold-bloodedly murder a civilian, then dance around with his severed head in hand, and post a video of it to the internet?

I honestly feel that no sane human being can truly believe what you just said, and that you're exaggerating to the point of near-stupidity in order to make a point, so I'm going to ignore it.
    If it wasn't a war zone, but in the middle of America, then yes, I'd say it's outright wrong, no-one should be getting killed, let alone like that. But war changes everything.

This madness will never end. We'll be telling our grandchildren that even back when we were young, the Middle East was not a place one wants to visit.

Take care all.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Arche
    As for having a right to take his life, well if it was a soldier, then as it's a war and he's the enemy, they have just as much right as American soldiers taking Iraqi lives. If he wasn't a soldier (I can't seem to see whether it specifies this or not on those two sites though), then no, perhaps they shouldn't.
    Both articles make it clear that he was a private contractor, not a soldier or even a civilian employed by the Pentagon (paragraph 3 in the FOX News article, paragraphs 12 and 15 in the CNN article).

Yeah, bad stuff happening there, made by both sides and non of these actions are right. Awful world we live in, folks.
    ('-'*)/ - "sup"

Unpostmodernizeable Shadow Nexus's Avatar

Ooooh, big deal, USA has done worst things through their history. This si nothing bad, really!
    ^
    ^
    ^
    I hope the sarcasm up there was obvious.

Aaaaaanyway, I can't say I am surprised about this. Of course, I wasn't surprised about the other thing either. I just have a little comment:

"This shows the true nature of the enemies of freedom," White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters. "They have no regard for the lives of innocent men, women and children."

I really don't understand why he refers to them as "enemies of freedom" and refers to the goverment as friends of freedom. This is what I call demagogy.

About what happened, well, this is just another of the bunch of barbaric acts commited through war. Do you actually expect for both invaders and defenders of a country to act correctly in a war? What can you expect of such a bunch of ignorants?

Look what we did and how we reacted; we did something wrong, apologized to the world and prosecuted those who did wrong.

Look what THEY did. For people to even try to argue that we're as bad as they are is absolutely wrong.
    Yeah, USA has been politically correct, but the act of barbarism perpetrated by those soldiers still exists. And ignoring the documents presented in regard to that until it was of public knowledge does too. And innocents died through the bombings, even if it was "just collateral damage". No matter how much perfume you put on it, trout is still trout.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

If US troops are ever found to have done something as bad as stand on top of an innocent civilian to hold him down while someone else saws his head off with a knife, I'll condemn them harder than I condemn those people mentioned above, because at least WE should know better.

I'm pretty sure though, that there would be MANY dead Iraqi prisoners, if US troops just would be "allowed" to do whatever they please to them, in no fear of punishment from their leaders.
    ('-'*)/ - "sup"

If this was 300 years ago, you'd be saying "Those Injuns' finest"

"hurr death to the ragheads horray for US global supremacy"

This is war, stuff happens. That sucks, move on.