Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Nintendo DS

Hopefully this doesn't count as a dead thread... it's only benn 10 days since anyone posted in it, but I just wanted to post some stuff.

First of all, the DS's cartridge is only about 512 MB I think... I read something on IGN about how Nintendo uses bits instead of bytes, so 512 MB would equal something of 1 Gigabits or something like that...

But I gotta say, I went to E3 and took at look at the DS and I'm really excited about it. Not so much about the dual screens (I don't think many developers outside of Nintendo itself will really utilize both screens to their full potential), but the touch sensitive bottom screen. This thing has so much potential, not only for using touch to control onscreen things, but developers can use the entire lower screen as a custom control pad. The possibilities are endless! A lot of the tech demos were very impressive... and the touch pad is pressure sensitive as well... they can tell the difference between a tap, a press, a run, etc, etc.

The wireless connectivity is also a really neat feature, but it would be nice to have a built in wireless internet connection like the PSP... of course, one of the main selling points of the DS will probably be the price... I'm predicting $150 or lower.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to this thing. The only thing I'm scared of is that developers won't use the DS to it's full potential. They might just take the lazy way out and slap a map or status screen on one of the screen and ignore the touch sensitivity... but besides that, the DS has creativity, fun, and originality written all over it!
    "It's an adult kiss...we'll do the rest when you get back." -Misato Katsuragi

[size=1]Soul Calibur r0x0rz my b0x0rz!
    Actually... I don't wear boxers, but Soul Calibur r0x0rz my briefz0rz just doesn't have the same ring to it...

**Proud owner of the Mercedes Scar**

Quote Originally Posted by BatChao
    Hopefully this doesn't count as a dead thread... it's only benn 10 days since anyone posted in it, but I just wanted to post some stuff.

First of all, the DS's cartridge is only about 512 MB I think... I read something on IGN about how Nintendo uses bits instead of bytes, so 512 MB would equal something of 1 Gigabits or something like that...

But I gotta say, I went to E3 and took at look at the DS and I'm really excited about it. Not so much about the dual screens (I don't think many developers outside of Nintendo itself will really utilize both screens to their full potential), but the touch sensitive bottom screen. This thing has so much potential, not only for using touch to control onscreen things, but developers can use the entire lower screen as a custom control pad. The possibilities are endless! A lot of the tech demos were very impressive... and the touch pad is pressure sensitive as well... they can tell the difference between a tap, a press, a run, etc, etc.

The wireless connectivity is also a really neat feature, but it would be nice to have a built in wireless internet connection like the PSP... of course, one of the main selling points of the DS will probably be the price... I'm predicting $150 or lower.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to this thing. The only thing I'm scared of is that developers won't use the DS to it's full potential. They might just take the lazy way out and slap a map or status screen on one of the screen and ignore the touch sensitivity... but besides that, the DS has creativity, fun, and originality written all over it!
    -Cartriges are 1.8 gigabits
    -DS will have wireless internet capabilities (besides simple wireless DS to DS networking)

"The Metroid: Hunters thing you might have read about, a multiplayer Metroid Deathmatch, was almost indecipherable as a game experience. You use the d-pad to move around, and the stylus to determine not only what direction you are facing, but also to shoot, by tapping on your opponent. If it seems cool, I'm not explaining it right. In practice, you are covering up the screen - where, as you might recall, things happen - in order to accomplish the most basic movement tasks. "

-Tycho

Metroid Hunters...yes... obviously they are going to polish that game up a bit before release. I think that demo was made just to show off the DS's hardware capabilities. In all honesty, it was incredibly awkward to controld (as you had to slide the stylus around to look around - turning 180 degrees was slow, unprecise, and strange). I highly doubt that they'd ship a game that was so wierd to play, but it's just a tech demo... so yea.
    "It's an adult kiss...we'll do the rest when you get back." -Misato Katsuragi

[size=1]Soul Calibur r0x0rz my b0x0rz!
    Actually... I don't wear boxers, but Soul Calibur r0x0rz my briefz0rz just doesn't have the same ring to it...

**Proud owner of the Mercedes Scar**