Thread: Attack Ads

Default Attack Ads

It seems every day that a new attack ad airs on TV here in the USA. I personally cannot stand them because it really just makes the Presidency into a childish game of he said-she said and real issues get put on the back-burner.

What can be done to curb these? Or do you think we need to keep them? Are they a problem in other countries as well (For those not from the USA)?

Everyone is probably aware of the infamous Bush-Dukakis campaign of the late 1980's, where Dukakis was continually bad-mouthed but refused to retaliate with attacks of his own. At first, he seemed the better man, and probably was, but this almost certainly cost him the election. Should politicians retaliate if they are put in the same position, or should they too take the high road? How would you handle it?

Take care all.

Uhm... not sure what you're asking there Cap (although I have a vague idea). Attack Ad??? could you please elaborate on what this is?

And well, I will post this in regard to your last question. I am a firm believer that private business is private, and that if someone confronts you about something private, you have every right (off course) not to respond at all. Many times people have no right to meddle with our past, as it is the past.

But again, as I said before, I have a vague idea, so please elaborate so I can edit this post to make it a better response.
    :rabite: Who am I.....?

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

By attack ads, I believe the Cap'n is refering to ads during elections that portray negative information about a certain party's opposition.

Honestly, I think it's childish and irritating. However, it cannot be denied that it has proved effective. Sometimes people would rather dwell on the bad things about a person than the good things about another.

I wish people would be able to make a decision not based on someone's faults, but rather on someone's qualifications. But, at least in the United States, that seems a bit much to ask.

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about, Cap, because I haven't seen a single attack ad this election from either candidate. I don't like them when they occur, and they occurred like crazy in the last Governor's election.

Perhaps they're airing by region, but I've seen three already here in NY.

An attack Ad is an ad that only points out what the opposing candidate has or will do wrong. For instance: "John Kerry has voted to veto aid to children on 5 different occations while Senator from Mass..." etc, etc.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

What pisses me off is that the information is almost always out of context. I don't know what Kerry might have voted for, but I doubt the bill was specifically to lower aid to children. Perhaps, it was a bill to lower the aid for children who can pay most of their tuition or something, but of course, that information is left out.

Take care all.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you haven't seen them that's probably because you are living in a state that has been deemed irrelevent, because the candidates know it is going to go one way no matter what you do. For example, King Bahamut, it says you live in Texas, which I believe is assumed to go Republican so neither candidate will "waste" time or money there. You might get a token showing at best.

Washington has had some adds, I've seen (to my profound distaste) more Anti-Kerry ads than Anti-Bush ads, and I have only seen one Anti-Bush add that was actually paid for by Kerry, most of the ads that I see are attacks on Bush by certain groups who he has angered.

Frankly, it is annoying, but it really does show you how our society is with regards to leadership and media.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Perhaps they're airing by region, but I've seen three already here in NY. --The Captain

They are by region, pretty sure. Good old PA gets lots of them too, since we're a "swing state".

Every politician runs on the same platform anyways. "Better health care, better education, more jobs, homeland security" or whatever issues matter in the country at any given time. The differences are always extremely minor, from what I can tell. I'd be hard-pressed to name any real fundamental differences between Bush and Kerry. Attack ads are almost all that's left. "We want the same thing, but the other guy is a liar/flip-flopper/con-man/bribed goon, so vote for me instead!"

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The major differences are hardly ever that evident in the attack ads. They tend to focus on the things they know everone wants, such as healthcare and economic improvement. The real issues are probably believed to be (and perhaps rightly so, I am sad to say) beyond the comprehension of most voters.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Ohio is a "swing state," and thus, I've seen a lot of them, from both sides.
    I really hate them.
    Grab the opportunities life hands you, that's my motto!

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain
    Everyone is probably aware of the infamous Bush-Dukakis campaign of the late 1980's, where Dukakis was continually bad-mouthed but refused to retaliate with attacks of his own. At first, he seemed the better man, and probably was, but this almost certainly cost him the election.
    I think what cost him that election was his being "too moderate". Because centrism, as we all know, is the absolute bane of a free democracy. :rolleyes2

...and it appears to be happening again. A lot of people are saying Kerry should have McCain as a running mate. The minute he takes McCain on, Bush will have won the election. Unless Kerry can make him look like an absolute fool in the debates. Which may not be that hard...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne
    Perhaps they're airing by region, but I've seen three already here in NY. --The Captain

They are by region, pretty sure. Good old PA gets lots of them too, since we're a "swing state".

Every politician runs on the same platform anyways. "Better health care, better education, more jobs, homeland security" or whatever issues matter in the country at any given time. The differences are always extremely minor, from what I can tell. I'd be hard-pressed to name any real fundamental differences between Bush and Kerry. Attack ads are almost all that's left. "We want the same thing, but the other guy is a liar/flip-flopper/con-man/bribed goon, so vote for me instead!"
    Not always. John Kerry is actually breaking party lines saying he's for the working man, a position that's so irked his fellow Senators that they staged a 59-40 vote on an unemployment benefits bill to make him look like a hypocrite. (The 100the vote would've been Kerry's, and a 60% majority was required for passage.)

Meanwhile, no one reports that George Bush supports a bill that would eliminate overtime requirements for many labor jobs...and, of course, supporting big businesses who outsource jobs overseas. (But that's beginning to backfire, especially in the well-publicized Indian tech support outsourcing...they're looking to other countries to outsource to because the Indians are...*gasp*...asking for more money...)
    Last edited by IlGreven; 05-15-2004 at 12:02 AM.
    Still a gigantic force on the 'Net...and still bigger in person!

Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

I really think that paid political TV and radio advertisements should be banned, like they are in a number of other countries. (Although admittedly I don't think I've ever heard a political radio ad.) There should be some amount of time set aside on certain TV channels and/or radio stations for candidates to do whatever they want with in terms of communicating their positions, bashing other candidates, or whatever. I like to stay informed, but political ads are often full of misinformation or misleading information because of their short length and that small text at the bottom of the screen that says who-knows-what because it's only there for a half a second.

I see plenty of these ads because I live right by the Missouri border, and Missouri's a swing state. I'm getting pretty irritated pretty fast with both sides in terms of ads.

Your right about the he-said she said. Its like every politican is for themselves and not the people. :\ I also dont like it how they go Im George Bush and I approve of this message, or Im John Kerry and I approve this message... Its either they make one or not make one, if people didnt see the ads its like "Vote for me" or the other guy "vote for me" "because I am better then the other guy in some ways, and I would make a better canditate''.. it just help/encourages other people to vote. Yeah.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually, I find that the commercials make me more resentful and less likely to vote (I'm still voting of course, gotta bring down the monkey) than anything else.

There should be a new political party made out of non tightwads/slanderers and just people that look out for the future....and pie