Thread: ff12 says goodbye to random battles

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB
    Makes you wonder if they'll allow for a 2/3/4-player fully 3D FF in the future. Sort of like a full-scale FF done with the added FFCC multiplayer function. I could see it happening.
    Not only could I say it happening, I look forward to it.

Blog Entries

Wooohooooo!

Sorry but random battles were tedious and annoying, and usually you were faced with loads of them when all you wanted to do was advance the story a little. They only serve two purposes in my opinion:

a. To level up
    Well, it's perfectly possible to level up with non-random battles. Chrono Trigger did it wonderfully.

b. To pad out the game
    As for this, if it's a deep enough story - and with enough sidequests, then it won't need padding out.

On that last note, sidequests work great for lengthening a story and providing more depth, whilst still allowing the player to blast through and see it first. As long as you're given an incentive to do the sidequests on a second play (FFX-2 demonstrated this perfectly, and was one of its biggest strengths IMO)

I hope it works like CT and other games in that you still have battle music.. FF wouldn't be the same without battle music! The traditional victory fanfare too... I really missed that in X-2 (well not really, but it didn't seem completely right)

As long as it doesnt cost me $130....FFXI...

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

actually ffx-2 did have the traditional end after each fight...just a very twisted 1. it is there.

and i never had a problem with ff6-10 random encounters. they wernt any where near as annoying as ff1 and ff2.
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Blog Entries

I relly LOVED the random battles in FF4-10! The battles in FF1 and 2 could at some times be annoying.
    But you never know... maybe the new encounters will be great.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Enemies appearing on the screen still worked well with Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu 3 and Kingdom Hearts, so I don't think the lack of random encounters is that bad an idea. Even if the enemies appear in every screen, you can still make those battles more unpredictable and somewhat randomized by making a few different formations that can appear in a location. For example, in SD3's Rabite Forest, sometimes there are rabites in the screen, but if you re-enter the screen, there might be myconids there instead.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Taking the FF series in a different direction is risky, but I think it's a good idea to experiment. Random encounters are almost always annoying for me, and I like the fact that they took them out. I like being able to see the enemies and be able to try and avoid them if I'm tired of fighting or I'm too weak to do so.
    "It's an adult kiss...we'll do the rest when you get back." -Misato Katsuragi

[size=1]Soul Calibur r0x0rz my b0x0rz!
    Actually... I don't wear boxers, but Soul Calibur r0x0rz my briefz0rz just doesn't have the same ring to it...

**Proud owner of the Mercedes Scar**

Bigger than a rancor SomethingBig's Avatar

It's going to be like KH, except that the enemies will be on screen. I'm assuming that there will be different enemies every time you visit that place. I honestly don't understand what's not to like. Square made the transition from turn-based battle to real-time battle. You know that Square-Enix will pull it off. They always do... With an exception to FFX, that is. Me? I can't wait to see what the super-boss(Omega Weapon, Ozma, etc.) is like.
    :monster2: One, AH! AH! Two, AH AH! Three, AH AH!

Blog Entries

As for the X-2 victory theme, I didn't hear it? I know it has one, but it's the cheerful:
    dooo-da dooooooooo diddly-diddly da-doo!
    rather than the traditional:
    da-da-da-da.. deee-da.. dum-da-dum
    that we all know and love.

Am I getting too technical?

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SomethingBig
    It's going to be like KH, except that the enemies will be on screen.
    The enemies in KH are on the screen. You can see them before the battle and go around them, and when you fight them, you won't enter a different battle screen.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane
    As for the X-2 victory theme, I didn't hear it? I know it has one, but it's the cheerful:
    dooo-da dooooooooo diddly-diddly da-doo!
    rather than the traditional:
    da-da-da-da.. deee-da.. dum-da-dum
    that we all know and love.

Am I getting too technical?
    true its not exactly the same but it has a very similar structure, its almost like a really changed remix.

i dont mind at all this style of random encounter i,ve decided...but they had BETTER not use that crap atb systerm from ffx-2. that had better be a 1 off.
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

About time. I am sick of random battles. At least in FF. I am glad the series is taking a drastic change. After playing the FF series for years (been a fan since the first), I am glad we are finaly seeing REAL changes. Sorry to the people who jumped on board with VII or VIII.

what u mean is real changes that affect u. i "jumped on board" at ff7 and have played all but ff5 and there has always been real changes here and there with the odd ff not changing much.

ff1-ff3 were more or less the same, the only change being a horrible ff2 lv systerm and adding of cid, chocobos,etc, not real changes.

then ff4 added character development, the biggest change ever. then ff5 i hear had the prefect game play.

ok ff6 didnt change much, despite kicking ass. ff7 went 3d. ff8 changed lv systerm of monsters and started the silly sub game trend. ff9 , ok old school ff1 rehash. but ffx added ctb, no world map, 99999 hp, sphere grid...etc

these r huge changes, 2 me no world map would be a far greater change then no random encounter and ff12 had better have a proper world map.

Blog Entries

All FF's are alredy different. I don't want them change into a new sort of game. Like FF CC or FF XI.

"ff12 had better have a proper world map." - Aeries

HERE HERE!

Tastey Pie's must have list for good RPGs

Tastey Qualifications

A.world map (Walkable, drivable)
    B.Visitable towns with (talkitive people, secret items, activatable events)
    C.Shops with (weapons, armor, items)
    D.Some good whoop arse (Turn based or active single person)

Tastey Rating
    (Ratings only show how much I will like it)

1. eh....
    2. ok
    3. Good!
    4. SWEET!

What pies rating system is before he buys a game .. (Examples)
    Game has A,B,C and D therefore it has 4 qualifications and is *4.Sweet!*
    Game has Cand D therefore it has 2 qualifications and is *2.ok*
    Game has C therefore it has 1 qualification and isn't verry good at all, so i shrug it off with an *1.eh....*

KH had
    A,B and D (3 Good!)

ff8 had
    A,B and D (3 Good!)

ffx had
    B (1 eh..)

ffx-2 had
    B (1 eh..)

Chaos Legion had
    D (1 eh..)

Seven Samari had
    B and D (2 ok)

FF1 had
    A,B,C and D (4 SWEET!)
    Last edited by TasteyPies; 06-10-2004 at 03:43 PM.