Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ff12 says goodbye to random battles

Quote Originally Posted by TasteyPies
    1.(Walkable, drivable) world map
    2.Visitable towns with (talkitive people, secret items, activatable events)
    3.Shops with (weapons, armor, items)
    4.(Turn based or active single person) battle system
    ditto. I'm up for the no random battles but to be honest, i don't care. Square-Enix has a way of making their changes good, just in a different perspective.

Name:Kegsay
    Race:Hume Male
    Server: Midgardsormr
    Current Jobs: 54WHM/27SMN | 27SMN/13WHM | 35RNG/17NIN
    Linkshells:
    ChaosArmada, Preators
    Crafting: Goldsmithing 48.0
    Equipment:
    http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?36718

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

*tasty pies confusion is so potent even with a ribbon i,m dizzyuing, trying to understand his post* lol
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Ha ha ha, i eddited it about 10 times to make it more understandable...whew...

It's totally fine with me. For years I've heard people complaining about the random battles, and now Square-Enix finally says goodbye to them... It doesn't make such big og a difference if there're random battles or not... They had to change something to keep the tradition anyway.

What I don't like though is that the cpu are controlling some of your party members. I like to be in full control of my characters, but on the other hand I'm sure that Squre-Enix will pull it off with great style.

I'm indifferent to this 'demise'. Since I'm more used to see the enemies before a battle (well... I've played my fair share of Infinity-powered games, see, where the battles don't take place in a separate screen), I feel pretty much at home with this. Random encounters... can disturb me. Not all that much, but they take up time I'd rather use for something else.
    Let's all pray for subquests netting you XP.
    This Apple-software (QuickTime) is not meant to be used for controlling nuclear powerplants, aircraft-navigation, communication-systems, air traffic control-systems or lifesupportive machines, where errors and shortcomings in the Apple-software may lead to deaths, injuries or serious property- or environmental damage.

what are you talking about FFX-2 has a completely different winning song.... mainly because Nobuo Uematsu didnt do any of the music...
    U L T I M A T E

S P A M

G R O V E R

PLD75/BLU52/WAR51-Titan Server
    FFXI/Dojo Adventure Xanga

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Random battles are a pain sometimes, and hellishly unrealistic.

I mean, your characters are walking through a narrow, cramped cave or an empty alleyway, then BAM!, there's suddenly a whopping great dragon or even a house trying to kill you. Even the smallest rooms can hold an unlimited number of random enormous monsters, it's a little bit of a stretch on the 'suspension of disbelief' deal.

It's fantasy. ^^

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Big D
    Random battles are a pain sometimes, and hellishly unrealistic.

I mean, your characters are walking through a narrow, cramped cave or an empty alleyway, then BAM!, there's suddenly a whopping great dragon or even a house trying to kill you. Even the smallest rooms can hold an unlimited number of random enormous monsters, it's a little bit of a stretch on the 'suspension of disbelief' deal.
    You have no idea how much I would love to have a non-random battle with a few houses. "Look out! There's a house!" *hacks at the house with sword*
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

chaotic neutral

It's fantasy
    That's no excuse. A good fantasy story has to follow its own rules. Either the monsters are invisible, or they're visible. Why would they just materialise out of thin air, and in regular intervals, no matter which way you are moving? How can they respawn without limit? Why do they all want to eat me? Are all animals in the FF world man-eating predators?

You can always recognise a good RPG by its lack of invisible random enemies. In Dragon Warrior, Chrono Trigger or Earthbound, monsters are visible, and die when you kill them. They don't re-materialise in a couple of seconds while you're still in the same room. In the 7th Saga, you have a radar where you can see the monsters move.

I won't miss invisible random enemies.
    To do is to be. (Sokrates)
    To be is to do. (Sartre)
    Do be do be do. (Sinatra)

I have the same aspect as Aeris...the random encounters were fine in 7-10-2, but in 1 and 2 they were annoying, mainly cuz there was preset fighting tiles ONTOP of random encounters...and i think it would be cool to get chased by something, a somewhat similar perspective to Chrino Trigger for SNES...i think

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grover
    what are you talking about FFX-2 has a completely different winning song.... mainly because Nobuo Uematsu didnt do any of the music...
    i never said it was like the others. but its not completly diff. they share the same structure. i can definitly hear the old theme song within it, like i said, a very twisted remix, in the same way penenance from ffX is a twisted Alexander.
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Hey folks. I don't post here much, but I thought I would put in my two cents about the new battle system. From what I gather, the battles and the way you encounter enemies will be similar to that of Vagrant Story, in the sense that it is fairly real time and that there are no random encounter. But if you want a taste of the actual battle mechanics, pick up Summoner for the PS2. You will see what they mean by real time, no random encounters, AI controlls for your party and the ability to switch between controlling party memebers.

Blog Entries

I wasn't too keen on the Summoner style of battles. I'd much rather encounter visible enemies (as opposed to random) but still be thrown into a turn-based battle screen as before where you can actually use your brain and think about the strategy without being rushed into hack-and-slash stuff. I think Chrono Trigger worked something like this.

Even better would be true turn-based non-ATB like I seem to recall FFX was (with the list showing whose turn it is next)

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Its reasons like this which will make FFXII the best FF ever(I have been saying this for 2 years now).