Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ff12 says goodbye to random battles

Yay. I wanna game like Crystal Chronical except for playstation.

if its not random how does the battle system go?

Random battle suck and take away from the game. I used encounter none so much in previous FF it wasn't funny. FFXI has best idea, you see the monster and know whats up. Monsters just appearing was lame anyway.

I am glad if its going away. I like how FFXI did its full map view: first and third person and be happy to see it in FFXII.
    Summon PETS: FENRIR, IFRIT,RAMUH, SHIVA, GARUDA, LEVIATHAN, TITAN, CARBUNCLE
    ELEMENTALS: DARK, ICE, FIRE, THUNDER, EARTH, WIND, WATER AND LIGHT
    http://rom.gloriousff.com

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane
    I wasn't too keen on the Summoner style of battles. I'd much rather encounter visible enemies (as opposed to random) but still be thrown into a turn-based battle screen as before where you can actually use your brain and think about the strategy without being rushed into hack-and-slash stuff. I think Chrono Trigger worked something like this.

Even better would be true turn-based non-ATB like I seem to recall FFX was (with the list showing whose turn it is next)
    Active battles like in Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu 3, Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X-2 would be what I'd prefer, where your characters move around the battlefield and can use the position of themselves and their allies to their advantage. I'd also want the Geomancer class or some other ability/feature that lets you take advantage of the terrain in battles. I wouldn't like FFX-style system, though. That was slow, boring and stupid, and it was a big step backwards from the ATB system.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

i loved the ffX ctb and while i,d prefer the original atb, i would gladly take ctb over this ffX-2 STYLE crap. i want to play final fantasty, not grandia...
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Lunar SSSC, the second-best RPG ever made, has visible enemies that you can avoid. So yeah, I won't miss it, if it's done well.

I don't hate random battles, though. I think people that do are very narrow-minded. You get the same end-result, basically.

If it's going to be non random, I hope they can have the characters be able to "jump". This way you can dodge battles easier. One thing I didn't like some RPGs is the fact that you and the enemies stand in place waiting for your turn to attack. I'd say something along the lines of Parasite Eve, where you can move around to dodge attacks during a battle.

about to insert the "P" disapointedchild's Avatar

Well, as for me, I liked the random battles in the ff series and will be sad to see it leave. Random battles, being taken away is a big step away from the final fantasy we already know. The battles being random kept you on your feet, making sure you were always prepared. "Do I have enough hi-potions, will i make it back to the airship, I hope I don't run into a t-rex." I liked asking myself these questions. It kept me on my toes during the whole sereis. But who knows Kh was way fun. So in the end I think we should give "random battles" a moment of silence. Ya'll can pick a time.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Are you saying its gonna be like Crono Cross and Saga Frontier, where you see the enemies before you run into them? As long as its still the good ol' FF turn-based combat when you're actually fighting I don't care.

And quite personally, I dig random battles(though at times they become very annoying).
    I like Kung-Fu.

I dunno, i guess i'm the only person who dislikes KH. I just passed the Alice in wonderland part and couldn't bring myself to board that lame gummi ship. I don't know whether it was the fact they were children, that my partners were incompetent buffoons who star in cartoons i don't like, or because the battles lacked any real strategy, and resolved more around me just beaning whatever came close to me with my key.

I like random battles. If you're in a sewer and a mind devouring mutant pops around the corner, he won't just sit there waiting for you to walk idly by, he's going to come over and eat your brain. Unexpected things should happen when you're saving the world, you can't plan everything out.

Removal of the world map was the worst idea ever. Talk about removing the aura of the towns. How cool would Thamasa have been were it not located on the edge of an island in the middle of no where? Also it makes the player feel less in control. Instead of going wherever you want, you can go where the game lets you.

Bigger than a rancor SomethingBig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth1999AD
    I wouldn't like FFX-style system, though. That was slow, boring and stupid, and it was a big step backwards from the ATB system.
    Amen. Monsters literally waited for you to make a move before they moved.

Star Ocean 3 is real-time and that looks damn amazing. KH was real-time and look how successful it's become.
    :monster2: One, AH! AH! Two, AH AH! Three, AH AH!

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Random battles are annoying, Im glad they got rid of them.. about the battle system I hope its ctb like FFX, I never liked atb system..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Quote Originally Posted by SomethingBig
    Amen. Monsters literally waited for you to make a move before they moved.
    I always thought of it more along the lines of time stoping so you could think about what you were going to do next. So imo the monsters didn't wait for you...the battle did.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aeris2001x2
    i loved the ffX ctb and while i,d prefer the original atb, i would gladly take ctb over this ffX-2 STYLE crap. i want to play final fantasty, not grandia...
    Amen. :jap:
    FFX2 style was pure chaos. I didn't even like the command menu.
    Old ATB is the best but FFX CTB is still very good.

it worked for mystic quest it should work again
    "In the end there can be only one...