Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ff12 says goodbye to random battles

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

Default ff12 says goodbye to random battles

so what do u ppl think of the end of random fighting?

i have my reservations. i hated this aspect of say grandia, and the old zelda games. but if any one can make it good its square-enix.

i know most hate random encounters. but to be honest in the last few outings they havent been that annoying. its in ff1 and ff2 that they drove me insane on.

it would be really cool though if u were running through a forest and suddenly a giant behemoth or even omega weapon jumped out the trees and started chasing u
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

I think its a pretty bad idea. Without random battles the game becomes predicitable. And are you implying is that you'd like to be able to see enemies on screen? Would there be an infinite amount (meaning i can train ) or will these be limited, making the game a little less fun to play? I'd hate to think that you could kill everything in an area and be done with it. Why not just use items to block random battles (enc-none!) I think they should stay- its good the way it is.

well a link from this sites news page said you would see monsters on screen and could run to avoid them. i suspect they would either infinitally re spawn or all spawn back everytime u enter or leave an area.

but yeah i dont want it too but then again i hated the idea of ffX ctb combat..until i played it.then i loved it.
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster

Blog Entries

I guess we can't know if it's good or bad before we have played the game.
    But i think it's a bad idea ... however i have played a game with that kind of encounters (super mario rpg) and in that game it worked pretty well.

Chrono Trigger & Cross don't suffer from having the enamies on screen. So I can't see it being a problem in an FF game. I'm sure the monstors will just come back when you leave an area. Again like they do in CT/CC.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

It'll be interesting to see how well this all plays out on a serious 3D RPG.

First feeling: I don't like the idea.

Hopefully my opinion will change after playing the game. Hopefully.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

AH! no! never get rid of idea that works so well!

didnt they do this on ragnorak in ff8?

If they are going to do it the monsters should stay dead throughout the entire visit, then respawn when you leave to the worldmap. That way you can train. Otherwise they just get annoing having to dodge them all the time when you meet a dead end even if you kill them (Xenosaga)

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

CT/CC are both excellent games without the randomness. So if it's done similar to those it shouldn't be a problem.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

With so many comments about this being an offline "online-estique" game, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a world map and it was like FFXI, with all the different areas.

From what I read at PA it's supposed to be in real time, with your other party members being controled by the cpu, and certain behavious you set for them, like .hack, or tales of phantasia.
    Seems kind of weird, but I didn't much mind the different battles in X and X-2, so I'll definitly check it out, hopefully it won't be too hard.

well, FFXI got rid of random battles, and is anyone complainiing?
    U L T I M A T E

S P A M

G R O V E R

PLD75/BLU52/WAR51-Titan Server
    FFXI/Dojo Adventure Xanga

a step away from the traditional formula...ffx-2 is an example....i guess i wouldnt like it at first but i reckon ill end up liking it....i havent played it so i cant really judge....

[Life is Eternity in a nutshell]

i do worry for ffXII. but then again i worryed for ffX and i love that.

but i say again, it had better get away from the ffX-2 trend. if it doesnt then in my eyes this could be the death of the seris.

I have always hated, HATED random encounters. Even in the new ones. That's one of the (legion of) reasons I think Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross are so great, they lack random encounters. I think this is a great step in the right direction. The only thing I can see me not really liking is that the CPU will control most of the party members. But even that shouldn't be too bad as long as they throw in the option to change the AI settings on the CPU, like in Secret of Mana.
    Sig under construction.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Makes you wonder if they'll allow for a 2/3/4-player fully 3D FF in the future. Sort of like a full-scale FF done with the added FFCC multiplayer function. I could see it happening.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!