Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how good is ffV? (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

Default how good is ffV? (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

i keep hearing diff things. some ppl put this with ff2, ff8, ffx-2 etc while others hail it as the best.

is it true it sacrifices story 4 gameplay? u see i,m doing ff3 and ff4 right now and will be coming to ff5 after. i dont want the euphoria of ff4's genius to be followed with disapointment, escpically as it will be leading on to FFXI in november and i want the ff lust to be on a high when i splash like 100 pound plus subscription charges and broadband on it. a similar thing happened between ff1 to ff2...genius to horrors. i dont know what hit me.

so how good is it ppl? though please, dont put any spoilers! just a general summary of the games genius/or lack of...
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

It is a wonderful game.

I would agree that it does sacrifice a little story for gameplay, but the gameplay is by far the best out of all the FFs. The Job System you'll fall in love with. It was one of the most enjoyable long-term games I've ever played. I'd recommend picking up Anthology or the ROM.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

the "sacrifice" in the storyline is actually quite nice. ANyway, the game could have no story whatsoever and still be a great game because it is so well done. gameplay is fantastic, the challenge is good, the game is long but not too long, you don't have huge cut scenes that just waste time, and you have the highest percentage of female characters.

ohhh highest percentage of girls hey

what u say about game play sounds really exciting, i almost want to skip ff4 now
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster

NO! keep playing 4! 4 is the best! ALL HAIL 4!!!

:mog: kupo :mog:

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

I have to disagree. I don't think it sacrificed story at all. Granted, the plot doesn't twist quite as violently as it does in FFVII, but it's still a solid plot. I haven't played Anthology though, only a translated ROM and that was a while ago.

What eest said. The gameplay is sheer bliss, the story is passable and I like the way it takes a backseat to the gameplay, and the challenge rate keeps you on your toes. There is very little to dislike about this game, besides the fact that building job levels gets tedious after awhile.

A very solid title. I usually play the games for their story, so it took me a while to warm up to V, but it was enjoyable. Definitely give it a shot.

Take care all.

You might start to lose interest towards the end cause of the lack of a storyline. But its put together very well battle system, Job/Class system everything.

Default ffV feels so odd

i,ve just *saved* mid from the ancient libary, bout 6 hours in. im just trying to work out if i,m enjoying this game or not. i mean there is something just iffy about it. i dont know if its the happy music(this has got to be nobou uematsu's most uplifting ff soundtrack and a complete departure from what i,m used too),

or the disapointment that i can only equip 2 abilities ( e.g so cant have Bartz be a knight/mage/summoner/ninja/thief simultanesously)

or that the story aint up to much yet...etc. i dont know, i should not be drawn to ffIII over ffV but i am. i must admit though the jump in complexity in terms of battle systerm to this from the previous 4 games is immense. maybe i,m just not compled by Bartz, Relina, Galuf etc over Cecil and co (though that scene where the guys sneak into to that pirates room and develop heart bubbles above them cause they discover her true gender is SO classic! )

do u think i,ll like it later if i,m not grabbed by it now?(aka entrance of Gilgemesh?)

Blog Entries

I think you should play trough FFV before you play FFIII. It's less fun if you play 2 (or more) FF games at once (atleast I think so). Also, there's some class abilities that will stay passive when you are non-class. And there's one class that have 3 ability slots.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

you'll like ff5 more as you get into it, once you start mastering jobs or once you just make a party of dancers.

lol i definitly am loving this game now. i just saved the moggle from that powerful t-rex skelton thing.

the story has like zoomed up lots and i LOVE cid and mid, they are so cool , always so helpful and really funny(except when they vanished from our base under the sea and it took me hours 2 find them )

yeah i think i will stay away from ffIII and see this through. i actually think the story and character development is really good. ok its hardly ffVI but its right behind ffIV and my ninja/theif, black/time mage and white/summoner mage really kick ass. i however want to equip more then two abilitys (which job class has three ability slots?)

anyway when i go home its back to another 12 hour ffV session

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aeris2001x2
    (which job class has three ability slots?)
    It's an class called mimic and it's the one and only class that is hidden... and it's NOT easy to get. Tell me if you want to know how to get it. But i warn you... by the time you can kick the butt of the final boss, the one who guards mimic is still very hard.

i bet its Shinryu or Omega!!!

yeah i wondered why i was missing a class. anyway i,ll wait to the replay for that me thinks, this game will be a joy to master i suspect.

and the game has gone up again in the last 12 hour session. the story is amazing, the game play i love and Gilgemesh is Uber! and he got sent to the N-zone poor guy (and now i know where ffVIII excalipoor came from lol). i,d say this game is better then ffIV right now (amazing, what 24 hours can do, ffV was like 9th then in my chart, now its 3rd or 4th).

i,ve started the quest for the 12 weapons(galuf, NO! come back!) and at lv 31, 16 hours in. am i i near the end yet?