Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Euro 2004

Which Germany 2000 game did you watch? We won 1-0. We fell apart against Portugal, but that was 4 years ago. We are a different side now.
    There was the unfortunate display in the WCQ, where yes we did fall apart. That wasn't the game I was using as an example though.

Ledley King has been misused by David Pleat this season playing in a central midfield role. When he plays centre back alongside Richards they look alright. It's not his fault he is surrounded by morons.

Actually Michael Owen had only played 2 full internaitonals before going in to France '98. He made three sub appearances too. I was wrong about Beckham he had made 15.

We went in at half time 1-0 down against Slovakia last year. All was looking pretty bleak. We come back and win the game with Owen getting both the goals, cause Sven switched to the diamond at half time. How can you differentiate between fighting spirit and a good performance. It's one and the same thing. Sure we struggled against greece and macedonia, but we still came out on top of the group and comfortable qualifiers on both occasions. Fighting spirit isn't about just 90 minutes of football, its about having the will and the ability to endure two years of qualifying against quality opposition and coming out on top. In '98 we went to Italy and had to come away with a point to top the group, and against all odds we managed it. In Turkey, we overcame the immensely oppressive atmosphere, we even picked ourselves up after Beckhams penalty miss and got a point which was all we needed. It showed courage and determination. We went behind twice to Macedonia and Greece, but we still got something out of it, granted we should have beaten them both at home, but we didn't lose, we picked it up and at the end of the day, are Macedonia in Euro 2004? Did Greece qualify for World Cup 2002. No. Teams hiccup, look at France at World Cup 2002. Look at Italy in the same tournament. With the exception of Euro 2000 (and lets face it Portugal, Germany and Romania in a group was no picnic), we haven't been knocked out of a major tournament by lesser opponents for a very long time. If you don't go into matches against big teams with fighting spirit you will be annihalated. Its all about who wants it more and thats fighting spirit. We beat the Germans 5-1 in Munich! That is an amazing performance. We held the Argentinans off us for 70 odd minutes in 2002 and we only had half a squad!!! When was the last time we were 1-0 down in a competetive match against the best Europe had to offer? Let me think, oh yeah Munich 2001, what was the final score, ummmm 5-1 England.

Gerrard and Beckham won't be doing Scholes' work for him, the theory behind the diamond is that you play with a three pronged attacking midfield, hence they share the duties. You can't bitch about Ledley King having a lack of experience and that Jamie Carragher has never performed for England if you want to replace Scholes with Lampard. Lampard, while being outstanding for club has yet to produce the goods for his country. I want him too, cause he has been fantastic this season.

It doesn't matter if Dyer hasn't played RB for ages, he most likely won't have to, but you said there was no cover, I have demonstrated that there is plenty. Jamie Carragher is prime cover for right back, and when has he performed badly for England?

An opener against France is just what we need! They are beatable. And we can beat them, in fact I think we will. That will set the bar for us for the rest of the tournament. There is no country in the world that England can't beat at football, except Sweden for some reason.#

We need consistent top-class performances from every player on the pitch, and I can't see it happening.
    I agree with you on that. But this is the prerequisite for any team hoping to win a tournament of this magnitude.
    Last edited by Doc Sark; 05-23-2004 at 03:37 PM.

Can't wait for it either...I hope Russia or Germany will win.
    ('-'*)/ - "sup"

I was talking about the World Cup Qualifier, but that's a good example of what I'm talking about. In the tournament match, we went 1-0 up. and had the confidence to finish the match strongly. In the WCQ, we went 1-0 down, and lost all hope.

In my opinion, fighting spirit is the ability to play well when you're behind, which is something Enlgand often fail to do. A good performance is self-explanitory, but fighting spirit is the ability to overcome a poor spell and regain some control over the match. England, when they start well, are an excellent side. But when they're on the ropes, they find it very difficult to work their way back in to a game.

When we beat the Germans 5-1, they were hardly 'the best that Europe had to offer'. That German side (and the current one, too) is a mere shadow of its former self. However, you are correct. That was one occasion on which we didn't allow ourselves to be defeated by low morale. If we could do that more often we'd be world-beaters, but right now I don't see us winning any major tournaments.

I see your points about the midfield, as well as our defensive cover, and although I still think that you're a little optimistic, you've given me a little bit more faith in the side. I still don't think we're world beaters, but if the team can live up to their potential, they very well could be.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

*gets out cheerleader stuff*
    Give me a E-N-G-L-A-N-D whats that spell
    England

Come on Beckham

Dono Arigato Macwere San for the sweat signature and avatar

Come On England!!!!!!

We're going to get destroyed by france though, the bastards...

Well I'm glad you've got a bit more faith in the boys now!