Thread: geeky?

Default geeky?

Hey I don't really know where this post should go so I'll just stick it in here! So yesterday I was doing this geek test online (don't ask). One of the questions asked you if you played final fantasy games, implying that if you play them you are a geek. Does anyone else agree with this??? I didn't think of them as being geeky!
    /

Playing video games of any kind is geeky. Don't worry, though. That's a good thing.

As for where this goes, I'd probably say General Final Fantasy.
    Sig under construction.

yeah the general forum would have probably been a good one. didn't even see it! Well I suppose there's nothing wrong with being a geek- normal is boring.
    /

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Yea, don't ya know, geeks rule the world.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Who am I to disagree with Jesus?

So what if they're geeky? There's nothing wrong with being a nerd. But, yeah, they are.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

well yeah ff is pretty geeky but nothing like that show for kids that 40 year old men get into with the morphing talking robot dudes or D&D...lol one of my friends plays D&D and called me a nerd for playing FF
    Last edited by TasteyPies; 05-22-2004 at 06:31 PM.

He's right. Granted, he's a geek too. There's nothing wrong with that though. D&D is fun. You know Vin Diesel plays D&D? So there's absolutely nothing wrong with people who play it, they're cool. Well, unless you take things too far and lose the distinction between fantasy and reality. I still don't get LARPers.

Edit: Woo, I hope I was coherent. 3 hours of sleep is not your friend.
    Sig under construction.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

There's several things wrong with being geeky in my experience. It cripples your social skills and make you a lot less interesting. I find that the more I play FF the less I have to actually talk about. I still love FF, and I admit to being a geek through and through, but there's other things I'd rather focus on. FF is just fun for me, I'm a total addict. I even love MQ. My real love in life is music though. I play a lot of FF games because music is hard. Pushing the A button over and over again is easy.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

Playing Final Fantasy is one thing. But if it completely consumes your life, it's the only thing you like to do, and you obsess over it constantly, I'd say you're beyond being a geek.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

Probably 95+% of the EoFFers are geeks. There's no way around it. If you're a hardcore gamer, you are a geek. There's no problem with that, though. It's simply just another social class. I've no problem with being a geek. It makes me able to use my imagination more.

Now, the chances that you're a geek increase if you play D&D. That's a fact of life.

If it's geeky to play PlayStation (or something like that) then MANY, MANY people are geeky...

Now, what's the difference between a geek and a nerd?

Take care all.

[qq=dictionary.com]geeky adj.
    Our word geek is now chiefly associated with student and computer slang; one probably thinks first of a computer geek. In origin, however, it is one of the words American English borrowed from the vocabulary of the circus, which was a much more significant source of entertainment in the United States in the 19th and early 20th century than it is now. Large numbers of traveling circuses left a cultural legacy in various and sometimes unexpected ways. For example, Superman and other comic book superheroes owe much of their look to circus acrobats, who were similarly costumed in capes and tights. The circus sideshow is the source of the word geek, “a performer who engaged in bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.” We also owe the word ballyhoo to the circus; its ultimate origin is unknown, but in the late 1800s it referred to a flamboyant free musical performance conducted outside a circus with the goal of luring customers to buy tickets to the inside shows. Other words and expressions with circus origins include bandwagon (coined by P.T. Barnum in 1855) and Siamese twin.[/qq]

[qq=dictionary.com]The word nerd, undefined but illustrated, first appeared in 1950 in Dr. Seuss's If I Ran the Zoo: “And then, just to show them, I'll sail to Ka-Troo And Bring Back an It-Kutch a Preep and a Proo A Nerkle a Nerd and a Seersucker, too!” (The nerd is a small humanoid creature looking comically angry, like a thin, cross Chester A. Arthur.) Nerd next appears, with a gloss, in the February 10, 1957, issue of the Glasgow, Scotland, Sunday Mail in a regular column entitled “ABC for SQUARES”: “Nerda square, any explanation needed?” Many of the terms defined in this “ABC” are unmistakable Americanisms, such as hep, ick, and jazzy, as is the gloss “square,” the current meaning of nerd. The third appearance of nerd in print is back in the United States in 1970 in Current Slang: “Nurd [sic], someone with objectionable habits or traits.... An uninteresting person, a ‘dud.’” Authorities disagree on whether the two nerdsDr. Seuss's small creature and the teenage slang term in the Glasgow Sunday Mailare the same word. Some experts claim there is no semantic connection and the identity of the words is fortuitous. Others maintain that Dr. Seuss is the true originator of nerd and that the word nerd (“comically unpleasant creature”) was picked up by the five- and six-year-olds of 1950 and passed on to their older siblings, who by 1957, as teenagers, had restricted and specified the meaning to the most comically obnoxious creature of their own class, a “square.”[/qq]

Listen to the people much smarter than ourselves.

Wow, it's quite interesting to see the progression of those words from their humble roots towards today. Thanks kindly for the info.

Take care all.

Final Fantasy is just good stuff. Geeky or not, It's still worth playing.
    "Someday I'll fly freely through the sky." ~Vaan