Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Overrated artist(s).

Hmm, Jennifer Lopez is an overrated artist. Mostly as an actor though.

Default the record of the century

This thread makes me think of Radiohead, but i can't say they're particularly overrated because i'm of the opinion they make fantastic music. However, i feel folks obsess over the band, and often around superficial interest in the music from almost neurotic foundations. Those English chaps could record themselves farting into paper bags and almost certainly meet overwhelming critical acclaim.

(-o-)

-tie fighter

Eoff Designer Recognized Member Rinoabella's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design
    Jessica Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya Coral
    Slipknot
    Have you heard the new album? I think it may make you change your mind the way it made me.

Banned

No matter how good their newest album is, they're nevertheless overrated.

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

i,ve only heard there first single from this new albulm and did,nt think much of it at all. cory taylor should sitck with stone sour...bother(the song about mortality) was class.
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

In my experience, there are more people who dislike Slipknot than enjoy them. i mean, any band with a decidedly conventional take on their genre is going to have its set of rabid fans, but with Slipknot, their fanbase doesn't seem to extend much past the fanatics. Their brand of music is like a more marketable version of a couple different underground/hardcore metal styles, and as such they're shunned by metal enthusiasts for being weak as well as by the popular scene for being abrasive. Being too tame for metal yet too extreme for mainstream is only going to get you so far, but to carry a niche like that is probably going to get you fans that are very loud about it. And i think it's fair to say that a band like that would usually attract some folks that are just loud in the first place.

"Overrated" implies a certain ubiquity of acclaim, which Slipknot doesn't have. They just happen to have an average base of strong support.

(-o-)

-tie fighter

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

How can the Olsen Twins be overrated if no one even likes them? Their last movie tanked in the worst way possible and didn't even make enough money to cover the cost of marketing the movie, much less the production cost.

Same thing goes for Ben and Jenn, both of them have been consistently blasted for having little or no talent and their last movie together was more of a joke than anything else.

I think people are confusing being over saturated in the media to being overrated.

Hmm, you have a point there Miriel...

About Jennifer Lopez (which I listed as an overrated artist): I've heard many people say that they like her and that she's good, but the reason I really posted her in this thread is because of her salary. She's one of the highest paid in Hollywood! And therefore also overrated.

hey everybody, "j-lo" is geting married again. what big and unsuspecting news that was
    SIg removed for exceeding 250 pixel height

Yeah, I heard the news the other day. The soon to be former husband is singer Marc Anthony.

Blog Entries
    I don't know if its me, but I think music is going down the tubes.....what happened to the days of good metal? now all there is is good charlette and blink 182...I feel sorry for this generations kids with music.

what happened to nine inch nails? I think trents coming out with a new album this year...hopefully it's true!

oh yeah..Picasso's not overrated! He came up with a uniqe style that someone could look at and say "yep....that's picasso"...saying he's overrated is like saying Snomans' work is overrated.

all the good metal is underground
    SIg removed for exceeding 250 pixel height

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by starlet
    what happened to the days of good metal?
    The days of good metal is now.
    You just have to look for it in other places then the media.

Jrgen, are you talking about German metal... If you are, then it could be interesting to get a hold of some of it.