Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think the end of the Final Fantasy series is near?

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

lol as long as the games stay at least as fun as ffX-2, then i will buy them just to complete the collection.
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Bigger than a rancor SomethingBig's Avatar

How was FFX's story innovative?

The reason linear FF stories are bad is because FF plots usually have twists and turns. FFX gave you the entire plot in the beginning. And if it didn't, it wasn't hard in the very least to find out what was gonna happen. Seriously. The FFX forum doesn't even need spoiler tags, the game's so linear. I could be talking to the biggest FF fan who has only played through 5 hours of the game, say, "Oh my Gawd, so and so happens," and he'd be like, "WELL, DUH, I ALREADY KNEW THAT!"
    :monster2: One, AH! AH! Two, AH AH! Three, AH AH!

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

the way Yevons secreats were revealed was surprising and cool. yunalescas revelations were shocking and unforeseen. the only thing u know at the start is yuna is going to try to perform the final summoning...thats it. thats hardly a linear story line with no twists. hell u dont even know till halfway yuna will die, or suspect Auron is dead.

what r u on about? imho this linear ffX story thing is complete crap. what about the origins of sin? the origins of the hymn of the fayth? the zanerkand war info from Machean? the fact (SPOILER)Tidus is a dream? your saying u can work them out after 5 hours?

EDIT: Please mark spoilers like that. -Murder
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

A linear story gives the story more depth, imo. It makes it more like a storybook, more like a real story. And it does have twists. Its just that you can't choose what the twists are and when they happen. If you want, then play X-2.

Oh, c'mon. You didn't figure out that Seymour was, of course, going to become a bad guy, along with his cronies? FFX's overall plot and the game itself are linear. You know right away that you're going to fight Sin at the end. You know right away that Khimari and Tidus will become friends. You know right away that Auron has some relation with Sin. You know right away that Yuna and Tidus will eventually get together. Yeah, it does have its miniscule twists and turns, but they aren't large enough to warrent a full-scale plot-twisted story. It is nowhere near like FFVI, VII, or VIII where you go, "WHAT?! SERIOUSLY?!" The lack of a world map made the game a puzzle-board where you have to go from Start to End. There's no arguing with that fact. Even the roads were straight paths with very small pathways branching from the main road.

Hell, I didn't even see how anyone could be surprised that Auron (SPOILER)was unsent. HELLO. (SPOILER)HE DOESN'T ENTER THE FARPLANE AND SEYMOUR SAYS HE DOESN'T BELONG HERE, USE YOUR F***ING BRAIN TIDUS.

I don't think the game was supposed to be about subtlety though. But I can see why one would look at its lack of subtlety as a weak point.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Tell me what was your first decent Final Fantasy? You probably don't like change. But imo X is one of the best. You can't tether yourself to a set style.
    About X, you look at the glass and you say its half empty, I look at the glass and I say its half full. (SPOILER)You DON'T know that Yuna is going to die. You DON'T know that Auron is unsent. You DON'T know that most of the key charecters are unsent. You DON't know that the Al Bhed are kidnapping the summoners because they don't want them to die. You DON'T know that your dad actually likes you.
    Half of the things you said were obvious (Yuna and Tidus get together, Fight sin at end, Seymour evil). Wait thats more than half. The other (Kimhari and Tidus friends) you already know that Kimhari is Yuna's guardian so obviously you are gonna be friends.

EDIT: Mark your spoilers. -Murder

I think the FF series is declining.
    Mannnnnnn... i think your full of bull,
    and maybe FFX wasn't as great as you were expecting it to be, but it was an AWESOME game, and i will NEVER EVER regret typing it up so everyone else in the world can see it!
    COLOR=PaleGreen]Surrender your soul... or the controller! [/COLOR]

Blog Entries

Maybe I'm slow or not so good at predicting things, but FFX had just as many surprises for me as any other FF. Some things like [bigspoiler]the fact that Maechen lived in Zanarkand and is a 1000 year old unsent[/bigspoiler] you don't even find out until the end of FFX-2, and even then it's generally only if you're shooting for 100% completion that you do what's required to find out...

Yes the first one was annoyingly linear. I'll grant that. X-2 fixed that good and proper, showing that Squenix still have what it takes

Edit: why doesn't [spoiler] work? I had to use 'bigspoiler'

Personally, I think squenix have made too many changes to FF now. No random battles and few characters. I'll go back and play VII and VIII instead thanks. I cant believe their so willing to change a classic format. It's outrageous. As for X and a limited storyline I agree whole-heartedly!

It's a new generation that they are trying to attract into playing there games, and i may not like all the changes but thats something i'm gonna have to deal with. :shame:
    COLOR=PaleGreen]Surrender your soul... or the controller! [/COLOR]

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane
    Edit: why doesn't [spoiler] work? I had to use 'bigspoiler'
    It still doesnt work. Thanks for spoilin my game.

Quote Originally Posted by square_is_the_best
    Tell me what was your first decent Final Fantasy? You probably don't like change. But imo X is one of the best. You can't tether yourself to a set style.
    About X, you look at the glass and you say its half empty, I look at the glass and I say its half full. (SPOILER)You DON'T know that Yuna is going to die. You DON'T know that Auron is unsent. You DON'T know that most of the key charecters are unsent. You DON't know that the Al Bhed are kidnapping the summoners because they don't want them to die. You DON'T know that your dad actually likes you.
    Half of the things you said were obvious (Yuna and Tidus get together, Fight sin at end, Seymour evil). Wait thats more than half. The other (Kimhari and Tidus friends) you already know that Kimhari is Yuna's guardian so obviously you are gonna be friends.

EDIT: Mark your spoilers. -Murder
    First decent FF I've played or first loved?
    Love - FF7
    Decent - FF.....V

What are you, kidding? I love change. Good change, though, mind you. The second Auron got sick outside of the farplane and refused to go, I immediately thought to myself, "Ugh. Way to make a horrible and predictable "twist", Square." Like I said before, there aren't major twists. There's nothing that changes the course of the plot.

*SPOILERS11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Yeah, okay, Yuna having to die to save the world was a slight twist. They hinted at it after 40 minutes of knowing Yuna. It wasn't an, "OH MY GOD! NO WAY!" type twist. The Al Bhed kidnapping Yuna thing just to save her was highly predictable. How could you not know that Jecht actually loved Tidus? Of all the would-be-twists in the game, that would have to be the most predictable of them all. Whenever there's a movie/game that has a main character that's hated by his or her father, the fathers eventually end up saying, "That's right, sonnyboy, I actually loved you. I was only mean to toughen you up, na mean?" When I talk about plot twists, I mean following Sephiroth all over the place only to find out that it's actually Jenova. Or finding out that Rinoa's actually a sorceress. Or finding out Shadow's actually Relm's father/uncle. Those, my friend, are true twists. Don't tell me that you figured out that Sephiroth was Jenova the second you fight the first Jenova tentacle, because there's no way. It took me two-three runs to finally realize how you could be chasing Sephiroth around, while he was actually in frozen mako.

Final Fantasy will never end we still havent developed virtual reality games. Those are gonna be sick (hope i dont die before then).

My first FF: X
    My fav: X

I think I see why you have stuff against X. You like the old school, not extremely linear story. I like my rpgs easy. I have to say I'm a beginner. Maybe thats why I thought VII was kinda slow paced. I still beat it for the heck of it. (heh heh, dont ask Cloud_Strife_X about it tho) But I wouldn't want to play it again, whereas I'm on my third time on X. Maybe you are right. Since X was my first FF its twists seemed like the norm. And since you really liked VII, you didn't like the changes in X, imo.