Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think the end of the Final Fantasy series is near?

For the answer go to: www.legendaryfrog.com look for the FF tribute movie

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

In an intrview with Tetsuya Nomura, he said that he thought the FF series was one that would go on forever. I would put a link up, but I don't want to have to deal with the insults if it doesn't work.

--Box Box Box Box

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah
    I really don't know why people don't like FFX. The storyline was complicated and original, and the emotions and dialogue of the characters broke away from the cheesy, comic-book feeling of FFVII and FFIX. It was more realistic, and made it easier to take the characters seriously. I think FFX brought the series out of its cartoony, anime-ish feeling, and FFXII looks like it will do the same.

If you're still pining for boys with spikey hair and girls with huge balloon breasts, go watch anime, and let FF grow up.
    I'm offended, really. As it usually happens in this ugly world I again read some harsh words about anime written by a person obviously not knowing anime... It's so sad...
    I like FF7 and FFX as well and both games are ANIME games for God's sake! And FF not gonna die, anime not gonna die either.
    Almost forgot, FF never had, has or will have *hopes* anything in common with cartoons.
    Stop the Earth! I want to get out!...

Final Fantasy sells a ton, it will most likely continue to do so and thus it will continue to be made.

Sales first, fans second. That is the order of business, not the other way around. If a game sucks to the diehard fans, but sells more to the vast majority, the company doesn't care they will continue to make what sells. FF whether it improves or worsens, will most likely continue to sell and therefore will continue.

Although I have to say FFXII definately looks to be the best PS2 FF, not that that is saying much. I have played 4-10 and I like them all, they are all good, some better than others but all good. I am sure I can name something I like and dislike in each, it happens and will continue. You can not please 100% of the fans no matter how good the game is. (For example many liked FFX-2 and I absolutely hated it, but I really liked FFX).

So, in answer to your question, no I do not see the series ending any time soon. Which is a good thing, as there has only been one FF I didnt like and that was a spin off more than a main game.
    You haven't failed, until you give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary
    there has only been one FF I didnt like and that was a spin off more than a main game.
    I hope you are talking about FFX-2, the crappiest RPG on the face of this universe
    U L T I M A T E

S P A M

G R O V E R

PLD75/BLU52/WAR51-Titan Server
    FFXI/Dojo Adventure Xanga

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

i thought the crapiest Rpg in this universe was a piece of filth Called Jade Cocoon...
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

OOC: Is it just me, or does Gundam Wing rock?

Anyhoo, I found (SPOILER)General Leo's death a very tragic one. I actually got my old username Lionheart Griever after I decided to switch the two first letter's of General Leo around. I wouldn't mind an anime, those rock. And how is FFVII cartoony? I thought it was great!

Well back to the topic, I think the FF's are getting more worse. From my opinion, Square is putting graphics in front of everything else. I do hope that they start working more on those side games like the Chrono series etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Grover
    I hope you are talking about FFX-2, the crappiest RPG on the face of this universe
    Indeed I am.
    You haven't failed, until you give up.

Default Unlimited Ideas

Hi, All the people that is saying here that the Final Fantasy serie is getting Easy and commercial is right, but from another point of view, It canīt be the same , there are more than 18 Final fantasy games, it got to change. In my opinion Hironoba is gettin less work each sequel, bussy with others projects and different people is touching the development, Final fantasy have became a World phenomenon , it stop being a little Hardcore RPG oriented to Game Extremist. Everybody wants to sit down , play it and enjoy it without getting killed or bored and that not bad, see what people say about FFV " Itīs amazing, difficult, a perfect RPG... But the story is just sooo boring", when the masterminds behind FF discover that a story can be puted in a game and make the player Cry and Laugh, like a interactive movie, definitly thats the real trademark Of Final Fantasy. some people found FFVIII just hard !, therīs also lot of challenges for we all fans, hidden things, imposible alternative Boss. Making and agradable game full of feelings have make this serie long, Iīt cant be so bad.

You all are being SILLY!

You know, I am one of those oldschool RPG gamers.
    I use to bash the new direction that Final Fantasy was taken.
    But you want to know something? I realize to accept it and I have a few points about the new games to point out.

The ONLY reason they're going "downhill" is because they don't feed your pathetic need for nostalgia. You won't accept change. You're all being video gaming bigots.

Here are some facts, the new Final Fantasy games plots characters and storyline is A LOT more intricate. You can't argue this fact.

Final Fantasy X's Battle system is EXTREMELY improved in SO many ways over previous Final Fantasies.

Final Fantasy X was innovating for FF in the way you could break HP limit and HP damage. Although a linear game until the game,... when you get to explore at the end, the world is very vast and there is a lot to learn about Spira, and although this is true for msot Final Fantasies, it's particularly true for X.

The story was epic and thought provoking, with a few bad transitions here and there... But, it was still a pretty impactful story which resulted in one of the best endings in Final Fantasy (as far as being able to draw conclusions about the characters emotions)...

Final Fantasy 1-4 had generic (but lovable) characters that you
    pretty much had to use your imagination to give them substance as
    characters (which is actually a lot of fun)

Final Fantasy 5 is a bit of a bastard game... mix of the previous and what is about to come....

Final Fantasy 6 and 7 are alike in many ways despite being
    on two different platforms. Improvement starts to really show here.
    Well, depends on what you think of as improvement. I am sure
    there were people like, "Ugh!" as some of you were about X! :O

Final Fantasy 8 - bastard game.

Final Fantasy 9 was a dip into nostalgia and faired to be a pretty nice game.

Final Fantasy X... a new turning point for final fantasy, and impressive on all levels... No reasons to NOT like it besides for the fact that it's different.

Anyway Final Fantasy SALES A LOT! It's NO NEAR from DYING...
    These newer games are selling more than the other ones.
    It's just a certain fanbases opinions that think that quality is "going downhill" - but they buy the games anyway, and probably still will.

I am a fan of nostalgia, though. I DO prefer the cheesy, 2 dementional (on all levels, not just graphics) RPGs... But I have great respect for the new powerful vast RPGs of today and I do enjoy them.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudySky
    I'm offended, really. As it usually happens in this ugly world I again read some harsh words about anime written by a person obviously not knowing anime... It's so sad...
    Because the only reason I could possibly be dissing anime would be that I've never SEEN anime, right? :rolleyes: Wrong. I've seen a lot of anime and used to be a big fan. I still am, to some degree (and by some degree, I mean I ONLY watch Yotroutoshi ABe's stuff, because it's usually the only stuff worth a damn).

I've seen a lot of anime. I'm not saying it's all crap or that anyone who likes it is childish. It's just that I don't like seeing a Final Fantasy game come off looking like an episode of some mediocre anime that uses childish humor, chicks with huge boobs, and guys with gravity-defying hair. And I'm not sure why you guys are arguing this so strongly, since the main gripe about FFIX is that it was too childish. FFX broke away from all this, a trend I'd like to see continue.

I like FF7 and FFX as well and both games are ANIME games for God's sake!

Almost forgot, FF never had, has or will have *hopes* anything in common with cartoons.
    Um, so which are you saying? That FF is anime or that it isn't?
    Video games and anime are two very different things, obviously. Which is why I'd like to see Final Fantasy be just a little more mature than most anime shows.

Video games and anime are two very different things, obviously.
    1. No, they aren't very different and how could they possibly be.
    2. Lain is a decent anime, but not the best.
    3. FF9 is too easy and childish.
    4. Yes, there are lot of anime for kids. So what? It doesn't mean anything.
    5. I know about 50 (probably there is much more) animes which are marvellous, deep and much better then any western movie I ever saw. I'm too lazy to post list.

Which is why I'd like to see Final Fantasy be just a little more mature than most anime shows.
    FF is mature and if you try to compare it with the worst anime or kids' anime, I don't understand it. FF keeps up with highest anime standards, lol.
    I would like it to remain so. Amen.
    Stop the Earth! I want to get out!...

Default go and play FF 1

I believe all the people that is booing the new FF should go and play over and over FF 1 and 2 , you canīt tell square "hey , make a good rpg you jerks !" because thatīs what theyīre doing, but theyīre thinking about all their costumers not only the RPG difficult maniacs, nothing can escape from evolution , and FF is not an exception. Maybe the problem is not the game, maybe all you people are beginning to change your minds and probably you donīt like Games as you were 5 or 6 years ago, Iīm playing FFX-2 and It donīt have really catch me until now, but new players that are meeting FF trough X-2, they LOVE IT , they have never seen something like that, Iīm waiting for XII and when I get it Iīll try to be a child again to enjoy it like the first time I played It, Games grow up and people too.

hey guys i havent visited these forums in a while good to see the forums are active . now for my 2 cents.

Final fantasy will never come to an end. you know why? well i am planing to become a video game desighner and i have so many i deas for a final fantasy game. square recruit new people that have good ideas. FInal fantasy is squares best buisness game series think they will end it just like that? i think not. if they do end it then it wouldnt realy matter dependingon how KH2 does it will be squares 2nd option if final fantasy goes downhill. too bad they werent involved in Xenosaga cause that game would also make money for em. you also have to remmeber that enix made grandia, even tho grandia xtreme was a rip i liked the series. But right now final fantasy is square enixes best series. and if they do end it, they will bring out another grandia, as well as more to come KHs. but for now its safe to say that final fantasy will be here longer than you think.
    "What is a mans real dream but to wield a sword and fight for his country. Today a mans dream is to be rich and famouse. the world has changed but i intend to balance it with my blade" - Scifer

1. No, they aren't very different and how could they possibly be.
    Because one is animation and the other is a video game? Both projected on your TV screen and both from Japan (in this case), but that doesn't make them the same thing.

2. Lain is a decent anime, but not the best.
    Never said it was.

3. FF9 is too easy and childish.
    Exactly. If that's what you didn't like about FF9, you don't want any other games to be easy and childish, do you?

4. Yes, there are lot of anime for kids. So what? It doesn't mean anything.
    I wasn't referring to children's anime, per say. A lot of anime aimed at teenagers is pretty goofy and childish, too.

5. I know about 50 (probably there is much more) animes which are marvellous, deep and much better then any western movie I ever saw. I'm too lazy to post list.
    That's great. I'm not talking about the anime shows/movies that are actually good. I'm talking about the ones that aren't any good that I don't want FF to emulate.

FF is mature and if you try to compare it with the worst anime or kids' anime, I don't understand it. FF keeps up with highest anime standards, lol.
    I would like it to remain so. Amen.
    I would like FF to remain mature too. But I saw more cheap anime gimmicks than I'd like in past games (FFVII and FFIX, mostly), something that FFXII is hopefully going to abolish completely.
    Last edited by Savannah; 08-13-2004 at 10:48 PM.