Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 267891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Do you think the end of the Final Fantasy series is near?

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I think the Final Fantasy series might end sooner than this thread, and I don't think the series is anywhere near finished. This thing's almost a freakin year old! O.o

Quote Originally Posted by squareSOFT
    Quote Originally Posted by mihalis
    I think that Squaresoft's merging with Enix may have spelt the end of both Squaresoft's 'Final Fantasy' series and Enix's 'Dragonquest' (Dragon Warrior) series. The reason I think this is that while both companies have produced some excellent games, it was that competition which kept them doing their best work. Now that the two have become one, they don't need to produce the best games to dominate the market. In orther words, they could simply produce a crappy game, slap the 'Final Fantasy' label on it, and folks will still buy it. I hope I'm wrong!
    I agree completely
    Actually, I think it's the end of FF, but not Dq. If you look at the structure of the company, everybody with decision making power is from Enix, not Square. In fact, the only reason that the company is still called square-enix is that square is more known than enix. So what I'm beginning to suspect is that Enix bought square just to destroy it. That way Dq and SO are the big rpgs.

They bought a game series that brings in at least a million per game so they could destroy it? Dont think so.

Actually I heard that this may well be the last final fantasy. Shocking, I know. I read it in a gaming magazine although they believed it to be about 70% truth. I guess it makes sense, I mean final fantasy hasnt really been the same since Sakaguchi left the team. From what I hear he is forming his own company - Mist Walker- and Square Enix are moving into a different area of games.

More as I find out.

So why should I take this gaming magazine seriously. Majority magazines dont know half as much as any semi decent fansite

Im not saying its the absolute truth, but it makes sense. Final Fantasy is Sakaguchi's creation- without him they've only been so so. Square Enix have always been keen to attract more people rather than please their fan base (FFX-2, Kingdom Hearts?) It wouldnt suprise me at all if XII was the end of the road.

Yes but arent those people they attract there fans? Or become there fans? I loved the past few FF's *ignores X-2* and Kingdom Hearts is one of the most enjoyable games ever plus KH2 looks unbelievable in graphics, storyline , characters. XII lookis in my opinion to be the best FF yet. Id eventually lose interest like many and most people if S-E stopped trying new things which is the only thing I can respect X-2 for. Trying new things. No ones seen a proper FF from both Square and Enix yet so how are we supposed to know theyre getting worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Destai
    They bought a game series that brings in at least a million per game so they could destroy it? Dont think so.
    It was the main competition for their game -- DQ. This is what I think is going on:

1.) Acquire Squaresoft.
    2.) try to get as many of the "good developers" and "good franchises" (the ones they are interested in) to be under the enix side of things. FF being that it was originally a Squaresoft game, might still say Squaresoft on the liscence. Therefore it might not be legally possible to transfer it to Enix. It might even belong to Sakaguichi and if he doesn't like Enix, he won't sign it over.
    3.) Kill off any franchise that can't be made an enix franchise.
    4.) Spin off Squaresoft as a shadow of it's former self with no budget and no well known franchises that will compete with Enix.
    5.) (optional) maniacal laughter.

The result of doing this is that Enix loses it main competition, squaresoft, plus gets most of Square's assets -- all perfectly legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Yevon
    It was the main competition for their game -- DQ. This is what I think is going on:

1.) Acquire Squaresoft.
    2.) try to get as many of the "good developers" and "good franchises" (the ones they are interested in) to be under the enix side of things. FF being that it was originally a Squaresoft game, might still say Squaresoft on the liscence. Therefore it might not be legally possible to transfer it to Enix. It might even belong to Sakaguichi and if he doesn't like Enix, he won't sign it over.
    4.) Spin off Squaresoft as a shadow of it's former self with no budget and no well known franchises that will compete with Enix.

The result of doing this is that Enix loses it main competition, squaresoft, plus gets most of Square's assets -- all perfectly legal.
    That is completely wrong for a number of reasons

1.) In ff's history they have sold over 45 million games. Why would you get rid of that kind on franchise?
    2.) If you get rid of ff and kh(both were squaresoft) then you lose all NA sales. And while thats not the majority of SE it still represents about 30%
    3.) SE is looking to increase it's "outside of Japan" sales to about 50%. Getting rid of all squaresoft's products would only serve to SEVERELY decrease "outside of Japan sales."
    4.) It's simply illogical to assume that SE would not want to receive the money that ff brings in
    Organized people are just to lazy to look for things.

Quote Originally Posted by squareSOFT
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Yevon

1.) Acquire Squaresoft.

That is completely wrong for a number of reasons

1.) In ff's history they have sold over 45 million games. Why would you get rid of that kind on franchise?
    2.) If you get rid of ff and kh(both were squaresoft) then you lose all NA sales. And while thats not the majority of SE it still represents about 30%
    3.) SE is looking to increase it's "outside of Japan" sales to about 50%. Getting rid of all squaresoft's products would only serve to SEVERELY decrease "outside of Japan sales."
    4.) It's simply illogical to assume that SE would not want to receive the money that ff brings in
    That would be true IF square-enix owned the rights to FF. If it's Sakaguchi's, then Enix couldn't take over and sell it when they spin off Square. It's probably going to take a while. It might be for FF 15 or 16 10 years from now.

The series has been going downhill since FFIX. If this game disappoints me, I'm abandoning the series for good. Well, I won't be buying the new games, anyway. What Final Fantasy needs now is a breath of fresh air, and, as I see it, using an old game world in a new game isn't the best way to be original.

the ff series will always be around as long as square-enix are making money it's as simple as that it's all money so as long as its selling it will be around

Im still reserving judgement. Admittidly it doesnt make any sense for a company to chop a popular series but the whispers of SE ending the series dont suprise me. Im going to wait and see what else happens.

The main reason most of us is here is because we need this fiction to keep going, is for me anyway, i think the world will be dull and bleak without these kind of games. SE knows this i think, so if they drop ff there is a good chance they will come up with something simmilar
    "The new Lifehouse album rocks!" -Me

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't think DQ competes with FF. RPG fans will buy good RPGs. I don't think the demise of one series will help the other.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum