Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think the end of the Final Fantasy series is near?

i think this one is shaping up to be the last, it's huge and they seem to be working overtime to make it a damn good game. Going out with a bang
    Your sig is too hilarious and witty, thus i have removed it to protect the minds of all forum goers
    -The allways inspiring leeza

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't mind new FFs being released, but it's irritating to see pretty much only Final Fantasies coming from Square-Enix. They do have other franchises - damn good ones, too. Maybe more focus on them, upping the quality and such. I'd like to see a new Rad Racer on a next-gen console.

I started with FF6. First RPG i ever played, and is my favorite FF. I feel that other FF haven't lived up to FF6 because FF6 put all the characters on an even level. Sure, i will admit that Terra has the spotlight and is the character the plot moves around, but the other characters are just as important. Terra never passes through a single point in the game (with a few exceptions) without it being closely related to some other character. Hell, i didn't even use Terra in my game, i opted for Locke, Edgar, Sabin and then cycled most other characters.

My least favorite FF is 9. I didn't feel attached to the characters at all. The battle system wasn't that fun for me, nothing really ever changed during the game. I found the battles to be an encumberance, it sucks to go from a nicep lot seen, to 15 minutes of swamp battles just to get to the next town. That was reminescent of FF1, but without the excuse of being the first. Also i didn't think much of the side quests.

I think 8 is the most underrated FF. I loved it, period. I think the love story was well developed, along with the plot progression. I never thought "What the hell?" about anything. I mean that in the sense that the story was well explained, not that the plot twists were predictable.

I have mixed Feelings over 7. I thought it was a great game, the only thing i don't really like is why other people proclaim it the best of all FF. I think that characters were favored. I would've preferred more on other characters like Vincent, Cid, Red, etc. I was tired of the flood of Cloud and Sephiroth. Also i feel I didn't really like the most emotional part of the story.

Spoilers
    Final Fantasy 6 was most emotional for me when General Leo dies. That point in the story was the culmination of the party's efforts to stop the Empire from molesting the Esprits for their power. Terra was trying to figure out exactly who she was, and things were finally starting to look up. Kefka, devious as ever, shows up in top notch form though. I first felt pissed, all my actions in the game thus far had been void due to some power hungry bastard. Suddenly Leo steps up condemning his past. This was something i really enjoyed. All throughout life people are so adamant in their beliefs that they either miss, or choose to ignore things that they know aren't right. For each and every person liek this, there comes a day when they have to face their convictions, and the true character of that person is revealed. Anyways... Leo becomes a Martyr, and you're returned back to step 1. I really enjoyed this part of the game because it brings alot of real life into the game, represented by whatever. Whether is be Imperialism and the Empire, Racism and the Esprits, or what being power hungry can do to the future, and the planet.

Final Fantasy 8 - Finally Squall lets his guard down and finds out how it feels to love, and be loved in return. I don't know exactly why, perhaps i'm intrigued by Rinoa's purity and persistance... I don't know what it was to tell the truth, but i think the song, along with Laguna's past that had alot to do with it. Sometimes we just gotta let go and enjoy life, and the people in it. Right?

Final Fantasy 7 - Don't get me wrong, i practically through my chair out the window when Jenova stabbed Aeris, but i just didn't like a few things. I don't like helpless martyrs. Don't lie down and die, hoping your death can change the future. Aeris knew what was coming before it came . Secondly i didn't like the 2000ft drop, i would've prefered him just leaping from the water . Small things, i know. Last of all, the scene before Aeris dies, Cloud resists chopping Aeris in half. The thing i always asked myself was why Sephiroth even bothered with cloud in the first place. Sephiroth was effecient in all his tasks. So why would he mess with cloud in such a sadistic way is jenova was right there to kill her anyways? My vision of Sephiroth wasn't one of Malice, more of misguided anger. He was angry at the world, so he was going to destroy it, but he wasn't going to go to every town and kill everyone he saw. Meh, its all about translating what's going on into one giant cohesive picture, and it just didn't fit my profile. I think thats half the fun, interpreting whats going on.

Lastly, how could you not have known Seph was actually Jenova. I didn't have it pinpointed at first, but i thought it very odd that sephiroth would walk around with body parts of his mother to conveniantly throw at me.

Lastly, to be more direct to the topic. I think every FF has something to offer. Some are hated more by others, but thats because they compare them. I think had there been no previous FF's, then people wouldn't rage at FFX so much. As for being linear. I think FFX had alot of unexpected events. Some people like 2,000 foot drops (See the spoilers part to know what i'm talkign about), and some people like not knowing who the dead people are. I think its all about the presentation. FF seems to be changing into a faster-paced game. More action etc. I mean nowadays its always something like "Travel here to figure out why the world will be destroyed". What ever happened to "Go to the mountain hideout to prevent bad imperials from rapeing you of your powers". Is that a bad thing? Certainly not, i enjoy every FF for what it offers, even if it doesn't offer as much as its predacessor.

I think i'm done now

Edit: Hrmmmm, my edit was cut in half, so i edited it out. How odd.
    Last edited by Dark Jester; 07-07-2004 at 10:05 AM.

yeah the games have been going downhill (cause x really sucked).... When i was buying XI the cashier who looked like he was in his mid 20's just looked at the case and said "someday this will die" i couldnt really argue with the guy....there are quite a few of these
    "In the end there can be only one...

I really don't know why people don't like FFX. The storyline was complicated and original, and the emotions and dialogue of the characters broke away from the cheesy, comic-book feeling of FFVII and FFIX. It was more realistic, and made it easier to take the characters seriously. I think FFX brought the series out of its cartoony, anime-ish feeling, and FFXII looks like it will do the same.

If you're still pining for boys with spikey hair and girls with huge balloon breasts, go watch anime, and let FF grow up.

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

excuse me but Anime is way better. it is as adult as real life but far more interesting and cool.

what the hell was childish about ffVII? the darkest FF by far!

ok this is just my opinion(and i love ffX), but no anime or anime fan bashing!
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah
    I really don't know why people don't like FFX. The storyline was complicated and original, and the emotions and dialogue of the characters broke away from the cheesy, comic-book feeling of FFVII and FFIX. It was more realistic, and made it easier to take the characters seriously. I think FFX brought the series out of its cartoony, anime-ish feeling, and FFXII looks like it will do the same.

If you're still pining for boys with spikey hair and girls with huge balloon breasts, go watch anime, and let FF grow up.
    Its Final FANTASY, not Final Reality
    U L T I M A T E

S P A M

G R O V E R

PLD75/BLU52/WAR51-Titan Server
    FFXI/Dojo Adventure Xanga

FF is no where near ending, if this title can survive bad realeases like FFIX then it will make it too atleast XV which will be about 5 years in the future... besides even if a bad ff is released every1 still buys it, thus Square always profits... except when it comes to crystal chronicles...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    And this is where I say "You've got a will, but it isn't free." :]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakan the forever man
    If you never hear from me again, it is because I came to close to the truth.

Bigger than a rancor SomethingBig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aeris2001x2
    excuse me but Anime is way better. it is as adult as real life but far more interesting and cool.

what the hell was childish about ffVII? the darkest FF by far!
    I could hug you.

I was actually gonna stay out of my 5,000th argument on why I hate FFX, but, what the hey.
    Unmarked Spoilers ahead
    The storyline was complicated and original, and the emotions and dialogue of the characters broke away from the cheesy, comic-book feeling of FFVII and FFIX.
    You've got to be kidding. Complicated? You summon the final Aeon to fight Sin. You die. Don't want to die? Find some other way to kill Sin? How?! By not killing him with your own hands! Original? I saw no originality in FFX's story. Don't tell me that the enemy being the main character's father is original, because so many shows, including animes, which are so damn childish and immature[/sarcasm], have used this "plot twist" so many times before FFX's abominable birth.

It was more realistic, and made it easier to take the characters seriously.
    I find it harder to take someone that cries and whines easily. I tend to look down upon them. More realistic? Tifa was pretty dang realistic, if you ask me. She was Cloud's childhood friend and wanted to follow him to the ends of the Earth because she loved him so much. Barret was a rebel who just lost his best of friends and now he wants revenge on the people that caused their deaths. Cid was also screwed by Shinra, but also wants to at least contribute the crew's cause. Cloud, having lost his memory, wants to set out on a mission to learn who he is. Now for FFX's characters. Tidus, a non-existent person, just fell out of a monster's belly into a new world to do what? To whine, complain, and just follow around Yuna and the gang to get home. Yuna, being a summoner, must set out to destroy Sin for a mere 10 years, but at the cost of her life. Auron, who also technically doesn't exist, is just there. Khimari is also just there. And the same goes for the rest of the characters. They're just there.
    :monster2: One, AH! AH! Two, AH AH! Three, AH AH!

In my opinion FF has gone downhill after FF7, then again I'm not a big fan of amazing graphics.... I'm a very nostalgic person, and prefer sprite graphics (with the exception of ff7). Though I did like the voice acting for X. But, as long as they continue cranking out the amazing graphics, cutscenes and fighting, teen will buy these game for a long time to come.

In fact this whole thread is blasphemous!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    And this is where I say "You've got a will, but it isn't free." :]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakan the forever man
    If you never hear from me again, it is because I came to close to the truth.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wilrod89
    i mean they may already be running out of ideas
    No, they're NOT running out of ideas. They're trying different things, which is actually sort of like the opposite of running out of ideas. Crystal Chronicles was different, people hated it for that. FFXI was different, people hated it for that also. You can't hope to defend a position that a company's product is going stale when what they're doing is taking it in new directions.

Also, I'd like to point out that this has been something FF fans have been droning on about ever since FFVII came out. People HATED what FFVII did to the series, and they claimed that it would be the death of Final Fantasy. Well, the main series has survived another 4 installments (5 if you count X-2) and it will soon be 5 (or 6, depending on how you see things) NOT TO MENTION rereleases of FF I, II and IV twice over, and V and VI, and the releases of FF Tactics, FF Tactics Advance, FFCC, and even the bankruptcy inducing Spirits Within. We are also soon going to see FF I & II Advance, Advent Children, Before Crisis and maybe even another FFVII related title. If Square WAS going to run out of steam, it wouldn't even make sense that they'd be doing it now of all times, when their creativity seems to be rising again.

Quote Originally Posted by SomethingBig
    I find it harder to take someone that cries and whines easily. I tend to look down upon them. More realistic? Tifa was pretty dang realistic, if you ask me. She was Cloud's childhood friend and wanted to follow him to the ends of the Earth because she loved him so much.
    Tifa was an airhead with big boobs and a small shirt. All the other characters can be summarized almost as easily.

The main thing that separated FFX from the others was the loss of the dialogue balloons and the things that popped up in them. No one can seriously tell me that the things the characters said in past FFs were not cartoony. FF8 broke away from this and was a little more serious, but FF9 went right back to the slap-stick style of storytelling. With FFX, the voice-acting could have improved, but at least it eliminated the opportunity for Square to stick such stupid things in the dialogue boxes.

The idea of Sin, I thought, was very original, or at least more original than past FF storylines. Sin represented tradition, something Spira just accepted and went along with. The bad guys (excluding Seymour, whose character I loathed) were just people who didn't know what else to do-- not the mwa-ha-haing villains who wanted to take over the world (FF6-FF9; and probably others, but I've only played 6-10).

FFXII looks darker and more serious, which is what I, personally, am rooting for.

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

i know. Sephiroth and Kuja were completly 2 D walking sterotypes. long live ffX! (Sarcasm).

look, imho, ffIV-X are all fantastic, regardless of whether u hold the dumb ass view that Anime is only a childish cartoon and i wish debates like this would end. DJzen has it sussed, FF will go on for a long time and will rock regardless of whether it returns to Anime or not.

however it will only ever have a chance of matching its two divine achievements (FFVI-VII) if it returns to Anime. but even if it doesnt, i,ll still buy it.

please stop dissing the above FF games, for the only ff game that derserves dissing is ffII...*decapitated by DJzen*
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7