Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ffII is far worse then ffVIII discussion

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

Default ffII is far worse then ffVIII discussion

now i dont want to turn this into a flame topic. i want ppl to discuss whether its worse then ff8.

and imho it so is. when i have time i,m gonna post a semi-in depth comparative.
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Blog Entries

Default ffII is far worse then ffVIII

Yes it is.

Eoff + Fabio = Win Lord Chainsaw's Avatar

FFIII is far worse than both.

To hell with Battletoads and Double Dragon.
    THIS is the ultimate team.

I don't think you can really COMPARE the two. They're both bad in...so very different ways. FF8 because it screwed up the good roll that Square had made with IV, V, VI, and VII, and FF2 because it just sucked. FF8 sucked, too, but I couldn't make a decision. They're so very different games, and both so bad, there's no way to make a decision.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I like your sig. aeris2001x2, some of the best quotes.

On topic, I think II is worse. VIII had better music and giving Greiver *inoppropraite* names makes that one quote funny.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

I dunno, I like both of these games a lot. I guess I like FF8 less 'cause the plot and Squall's whining and not making any sense is annoying.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

8 was more playable for me
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

VIII was playable, in fact it was fun playable, but the character development was a let down, which was what made it so bad. After playing IV - VII, one comes to expect a certain standard from Square, and for me VIII totally left me disappointed. II was completly different in that sense... it was a let down after I, yes, but I wasnt uber-developed either. So I'd say VIII was worse, because I had such high hopes for it. I expected II to be... well... like it was.

Blog Entries

FF 8 is more easy to play than the others (for me!)

ok here is my demi-detailed comparative. i,m going to use various categories and i,ll try and be as non bias as possible.

FF11-Graphics

ok, i was very impressed with how these graphics were remaded to such a fantastic level and really gave the snes ones a run for there money. its like the ff1 remake and i attribute the wsc review of ff1 on this site to this one. of course the original graphics suck.

ffVIII-Graphics

this is a mixed bag. the battle graphics and fmv were glorious. the world map and in game graphics were pathetic. better then ffII remake but relatively ff11 remake is better.

i,ll just say ffVIII wins but only cause its 3d.

ffII- Story line and events

now i must say i like this story. the first outing of the empire in an ff. the missions were cool, locations wonderful, events original and entharlling. oh and i like the final trip to hell and how the emperor usurps the very demonic force he allied himself with after his death. and LOTS of people die including many party members

flaws include how the ultima scroll does little unless u can suffer getting it lved up. why does leon become a dark knight? why did he not just start with the cyclone? not major but enough to reduce its simplistic perfection.

ffVIII- Story line and events

i think this is quite original despite echoes of ffI. sorcerress, the time shifting with laguna, garden, seed, it was good. i liked how you have to work out who squalls father is and of course has left the rubbish that R=U etc.

on the downside there are many stuiped aspects. that everyone grew up at the same orphanage except rinoa but "forgot" because of gf's was lame. the love story was fine as a teenage romance but to focus on it so much and treat it like a mature love affair was a mistake. seifers romantic dream...the story was riddled with flaws.

simplistic perfection v flawed originality. i give it a draw.

ffII- Character development

now this takes the ****. i understand ffI and ffIII were not supposed to have characters but ffII was supposed to and they are the worst rpg characters i,ve ever seen. firional is the protagnist despite him being little different to the others and says things like " no josef" in the really melodramatic death scenes. maria is an air head. gus is the worst, i think he has two lines the entire game.

and finally leon. the guy who vanishs and serves the emperor, wants 2 become the emperor, re joins the party and leaves without any explanation. never mind so called ffVIII squall disc 3 personality change...leon was just inane.

when the games sub characters have more development then the main four, u know somethings up.

ffVIII- character development

now i think squall was a good character but i,ll just say he has a sucky attitude and a non sense personality change. at least he had some development for 2 discs. he has lines, back ground etc. seifer romantic dream was non sense but he was cool at first. selphie was fun, irvine's disc 1 antics silly, zell forgotten after disc 2. quistis forgotten two but has a good role at first. rinoa plays the innocent **** tease u care for quite well. edea and cid were well developed and ultimecia was about as developed as ffII emperor. it was bad i agree compared to other ff's, but at least it existed.

ffVIII wins hands down, and that says somethin about ffII...

ffII-battle system

now this i guess is the most realistic but done so badly that the game drains your life force. to train up normally i suspect is the longest ever. even using the "cheat" method is ridiculously long and tedious and leon of course cant benefit from it. 80% useless magic, even at lv 16 it aint too great unless your magics up. a game that lacks any fun in battle.

ffVIII- battle system

i really like the junction system. super customisable with lots of abilities. i suppose its silly that even with enemies lving up as u do u can still become a ultra hard god very easily but a game easy doesnt mean its bad. not as good as others but i thought it was highly original.

ffVIII wins easily

ffII- music

now this i cant fault. divine from start to finish. songs that stand out include the town music, all the boss music's, the music played in pandemonum. it was one sweet sound track.

ffVIII-music

and this has genius too. songs i like include the sorcerress theme, legendary beast, predition song, final ultimecia and the lush ultimecia castle. until ffX-2 i could never fault an ff game musically. another winner.

result, they both draw.

final result ffVIII destroys ffII.

p.s- i got about half way through ffIII and while its just a rehash of ffI i thinks its really fun. not as good as ffVIII but still better then ffII.(or ffX-2)
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

FFVIII = poopies
    Figaro Castle

Blog Entries

FF 8 is much better because it has Quistis, Selphie, Zell and the musics are great, the story is very good, so there is nothing lft to say!

FF 8 is much better!

yeah i agree, but u think ff8 is better then ff7 which just invalidates everything u say lol.

Blog Entries

No it doesn't!

yeah i,m joking but u prefer ff8's end to ff7. ff8 end was *yawn* so run along now child