Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: why is this game "the best"?

Blog Entries

I think that FF6 was a suprise and has some great FMV for the time it was published so it's considerating the best!
    Last edited by Polaris; 07-12-2004 at 11:29 AM.

FFVI stands out, you see. The villain is not much of a schemer, in fact, he is insane. He has no plans other than to destroy the world. He has no purpose in doing so, he just wants to do so, simple as that.

There is hardly ONE 'hero' character. There is no ONE character who leads the entire party. Almost everybody shares a part in leading the party (I'm talking about the actual plot. not the 'organize your group' thing).

I don't care about graphics much. I can enjoy playing FFVI many times in a row but if you give me a game like Suikoden 3, no way!

Music is an important factor to the game, like sound effects are an important factor in horror movies. It is the sounds that frighten you, not the video. I did a little listening on my FFVI mp3 collection (downloaded it off a website :P) and the FFVII ones, including a little bias-ness against FFVII since it came out later. For some reason, Celes' theme and Aeris theme seemed to have an intriguingly strong connection between each other. I'll have to get the sheet music to observe closely.

IMHO, and observing several FF forums, FFVII and FFVI seemed to always go against each other, instead of FFVII and FFVIII, arguing about which is the best. Take a look at the forums. There's always an annoying deadlock between FFVI and FFVII in the 'best FF' threads. There's always an annoying deadlock between Kefka and Sephiroth in those 'best villain' threads. Usually FFVII won them but I believe it is because more people play it than FFVI...:P

the fact that anyone in this thread compared kefka to kuja is just astounding--its not even close kefka made kuja look like a cubscout

as for the diff between ff7 and ffVI--i think people run into trouble grading these games because most like playin ff7 a lot more because there are things to do and u can customize everything etc--but ffVI is undoubtedly the better game that put square on the map--and had extreeme character development for 15+ characters

not to mention i can still remember the realm song--

music--ffVI wins for quanity and the aeris and yuffie song win for quality

bottom line--chrono trigger was better than both of them and anyone thats ever played these three games should know that

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar

IMHO, and observing several FF forums, FFVII and FFVI seemed to always go against each other, instead of FFVII and FFVIII, arguing about which is the best. Take a look at the forums. There's always an annoying deadlock between FFVI and FFVII in the 'best FF' threads. There's always an annoying deadlock between Kefka and Sephiroth in those 'best villain' threads. Usually FFVII won them but I believe it is because more people play it than FFVI...:P
    thats because ffVI and ffVII are genrally considered by most to be the two best ff games. however, while i believe ffVII is better, i think its unfair if ffVI loses such debates because not enough ppl have played ffVI. i dont think ffVII fans should enter such debates unless they have completed ffVI, and oftern thats not the case. i want ffVII to marginly beat ffVI fairly
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty
    I dont think Final Fantasy 6 is the best, even though I have never had the chance to play it.I have read alot about it. I think FF8 and FF7 run a tie on the best game of the series, but thats just my opinion
    Trust me, as Proto Man has already said, reading and playing are two different things, and you shouldn't judge a game without even playing it. Although I love FFVIII and VII, I think that the older Final Fantasies VI and IV were just better. They had a certain feel that the newer ones don't have. It's hard to explain.

Storyline wise, I would have to say FFVI and Xenogears are the best. Final Fantasy VI's story flowed smoothly, with many secrets waiting to be revealed. And the music was the best too! Celes' theme probably being my favorite. And great plot twists like (SPOILER)General Leo's death

I have read in another thread that in the newer games, the game focuses more on the hero and the heroine, making the other characters seem like supporting actors, and I have to agree with that statement. In Final Fantasy VI, it had a balance. Heck, I thought anyone could be the main character! And with a balance like that, you could see more character development and more dialouge between different characters.

Don't even get me started on the villan. Kefka was one of my favorite villans along with Sephiroth. While playing that game, I didn't think that a villan had to be a mastermind plotting some evil scheme that would give a harmful effect to the world. But someone truly evil not caring about a living soul, a maniac; I seem to take a liking into antagonists like that.

I love many of the Final Fantasies, but all of them are behind VI.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart Griever

I have read in another thread that in the newer games, the game focuses more on the hero and the heroine, making the other characters seem like supporting actors, and I have to agree with that statement. In Final Fantasy VI, it had a balance. Heck, I thought anyone could be the main character! And with a balance like that, you could see more character development and more dialouge between different characters.

are behind VI.
    now i know why our opinions differ. u see i thought ffVI had amazing character development but it had WAY too many characters and much of it was diluted imho. i think its the games only story flaw(apart from too easy and no super bossess) but enough for me 2 prefer ffVII.

in ffVII i thought every character was well developed. Cloud, Aeris, Tifa,Barret were all as developed as Locke, Edgar,Terra,Sabin and Celes.

however here is the difference. i thought Cid, RedXIII, Caitsith/reeve were fantastically developed too. however because there just was not enough time, Shadow, Gau, Cyan, were just below there quality, while strago, relm, setzer were not as developed as i would have liked.(there still good, i,m not saying they sucked or anything)

and then u had Mog, Umaro and Gogo who just sucked. ffVII secret characters Vincient and Yuffie were absolutlely fantastic so the former three were really disapointing.

ok i know i,m nitpicking and yes, ffVIII-X did concentrate more on a few ppl. but i think its unfair to chuck ffVII with those games. i actually consider the game more old school then new school. its ffVI that ff started to change, not ffVII anyway, not 2 mention the games are so similar.

this was just my opinion and i love ffVI and it is the second greatest achievment in human history, but i believe ffVII pips it because of BETTER character development! maybe u think thats strange but i do believe that.
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster

Contributions

I'm not putting FFVII in with that pile. I actually enjoyed those kind of games as well. FFVII really deserves a section of it's own. The character development was magnificent, given to even those optional characters. I was tingling with excitement when Vincent had met with Hojo. One of the best VG moments if you asked me.

I like FFVIII. I know that it revolved around two characters, I found it well either way. FFVII I liked as well. Spreading a good amount of character development towards all the characters, with a great plot taking them in.

I know that some of the characters had crappy character development, but they still did have a bit, I think... (With the exception of Umaro) Either way, I agree with your points, and I love FFVII, it's just a bit behind FFVI which I think is better by other issues rather than character development.

so would u join me in agreeing that ffVI and ffVII are the best ff games?

and i was not talking about you, just certain ppl in general. sorry if i offended thee.

Contributions

Nah, I wasn't offended. Yeah, FFVII and VI are the best Final Fantasies IMO, I agree with you there.

In third would be FFIV, Fourth would be FFVIII and so on, but FFVII and VI seem to jump ahead of these games.

IMO FFVI is no wheres near the top but that is just IMO
    [leeza]Sig width limit: 550 pixels.
    Sig filesize limit: 50 kb.[/leeza]

I thought Shadow is the most developed character other than Terra. I feel he is more developed than Locke =/

Edgar is the coolest character ever Plus, I just like the fact that he is a very good king and care a lot about his people.

We all know FFVI was the superior title, never been a better game. I wish they would remake the game so badly with flashy graphics and such, so the newer game crowd could experience the magic of VI. I believe graphics should have stayed at super nintendo then the newer games would be more focused on story and gameplay and not flashy eye candy!!! Oh, and we all know Cyan was the real main character (at least in my game he was)

My favorite's FFVI.
    With the other three I've played (VII, X and X-2) the plot line is so forced.
    No matter what you do, you end up with basically the same characters, the same things happens to them at the end, and most, if not all, loose ends are tied up.

With FFVI you could really pick and choose what plot lines to follow.
    You don't like Shadow? Don't save him, or if you've already done that, don't go get him!
    Not a fan of Mog? Leave him there!
    Hate Strago? Ignore him!

With every other game I've played there's such a forced plot line, and no real reason to continue playing once you've completed it.
    Look at this forum alone, people.
    The game was made 3 Nintendo systems ago and we're STILL talking about plot lines, hidden characters, real identities, hidden dreams, resurrections, etc.
    I don't think that'll be the case for any of the other FFs, past or present.

Quote Originally Posted by shigogouhou
    With every other game I've played there's such a forced plot line, and no real reason to continue playing once you've completed it.
    Look at this forum alone, people.
    The game was made 3 Nintendo systems ago and we're STILL talking about plot lines, hidden characters, real identities, hidden dreams, resurrections, etc.
    I don't think that'll be the case for any of the other FFs, past or present.
    *Sniff* You're my hero

Oh and FFVI is the best, if you don't count FFT.

Lost Heretic,
    The Bitter and Jaded Teen