Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Hey, new guy."

Default "Hey, new guy."

Did anyone else find it really awkward at times how no one says Tidus's name? Obviously it's because you can name him, but would you relinquish the right to name Tidus for a chance to have his name said? I mean, Yuna's in love with the guy and doesn't even say his name? Jecht doesn't say his son's name? It definitely weirded me out enough to the point that I would give up the right to name Tidus (not like I'd name him after me like I usually do main characters, because he isn't badass enough a la Cecil/Cloud ) to let the conversation flow normally. Am I the only one here?

Everyone has this problem with the limited dialogue. If you look, you'll probably find another thread complaining about the same thing. And believe me, it pisses everyone off. And one person says his name, though he doesn't have a voice when he says it, it just appears along the bottom of the screen. Letty, or one of the other Besaid Aurochs, says something like, "Tidus, you can't go this way. Cap'n Wakka's waiting for you," when the team are helping to fix Kilika, near the beginning of the game. But the rest is just "Hey, you," or "him," or, maybe the most annoying ones, "the star of the Abes," and, "Jecht's blood." It makes me want to hurt something.

Enjoy The Silence FallenSilence's Avatar

I agree totally, but one reason the game's designers couldn't do this is because, as you can rename Tidus, it wouldn't be able to be carried over into FF X-2 because you can't rename Tidus in the sequel game. This (and the limited dialogue, as MashX said) is why Tidus is only referred to as "him" in both games. It makes things less complicated and also makes the designer's lives easier than if they had to figure out some other way to do it. But yeah, it pisses me off, too.
    Should've Done Something
    But I've Done It Enough
    By The Way Your Hands Were Shaking
    Rather Waste My Time With You

Should've Said Something
    But I've Said It Enough
    By The Way My Words Were Faded
    Rather Waste My Time With You

Jump In The Fi-yaaaaah! metCloud's Avatar

It didnt bother me but I always thought it would have been funny if the designers used bonzie buddy's voice thing for it. WooHoo Spyware on my PS2!

Yeah, they should have everyone else read in random syllables and then piece it together to make the guy's name. That wouldn't be awkward or weird at all.

Al-Ber-T, I love you.

Oh yeah, and one of the kids in "Zanarkand" in the very beginning says his name too. And the blitzball commentary too. Obviously, its irrelevant dialogue.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I actually stopped in the opening walk to the ebon dome to listen to all the comentary theres around 3 or 4 minutes of the stuff but once it's over it doesn't even loop the game goes deathly silent apart from the sfx of Tidus running out of the screen. Also yeah it wierded me out but how much could you put in to one dvd disc in the way of talking and gameplay. however the random sylables thing would probably have sounded really wierd almost like stephen hawking possibly.

Blog Entries

It would've sounded even more ridiculous synthasising the name It'd be like one of those answering machines where it says 'you have... TWO!!... messages' or something.

They should've just not let you rename him. Simple. It's just as bad in X-2 when he's constantly being called "????" or "You-Know-Who"

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

His name's used frequently in the text-only idalogue, as has been said; the Beaid Aurochs are particularly noticeable in this regard.

However, I agree it would've been better if he'd simply been given a name, then had that name used consistently. There's very little point naming a character if that name's almost never going to come up.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

It didn't bother me so much, in fact on my first play through I never really even noticed. Though I do agree that they should have just given him the name and force you to stick with it.

The first time it really bothered me when I was playin' Kingdom Hearts. If you talk to Wakka on the second day on the island, he says, "Me an' Tidus are going to go to the secret place," or something like that. He pronounced it tee-dus, which creeped me out.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The way the pronounced the name in Kingdom Hearts hurt so much...

Anyways, I do agree that they should have given him a name, but I found the whole thing rather amusing, it didn't really bother me.

I liked how they say Anima and Yojimbo's name, but you can rename them later on.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

[qq=Zaphier]The first time it really bothered me when I was playin' Kingdom Hearts. If you talk to Wakka on the second day on the island, he says, "Me an' Tidus are going to go to the secret place," or something like that. He pronounced it tee-dus, which creeped me out.[/qq]What really creeps me out is the idea of Wakka saying, "Me an' Tidus are going to go to the secret place". Too many bad mental images there.

According to reliable sources, though, "tee-dus" is the correct pronunciation of his name; it's been that way since before the release of FFX. "Tide-us", I believe, was just more comfortable for Western readers because of its familiar sound and because it suggests a link to natural phenomena, kind of like Cloud and Squall.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Plus Tee-dus just sounds stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by Big D
    According to reliable sources, though, "tee-dus" is the correct pronunciation of his name; it's been that way since before the release of FFX. "Tide-us", I believe, was just more comfortable for Western readers because of its familiar sound and because it suggests a link to natural phenomena, kind of like Cloud and Squall.
    They kind of change pronunciations from Japenese to English versions of names sometimes. The same can be said for Paine in FFX-2. Reliable sources tell me that her name is pronounced "Pine" in Japanese and "Pain" in the US. And I swear that I remember a US Square rep talking about FFX and calling Tidus "Tide-us." (that doesn't necessarily mean anything, I'm just saying)
    Last edited by SeeDRankLou; 06-04-2004 at 08:27 PM.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Tidus is actually pronounced "tee-da" in Japanese, because it's all Okinawan and weird like that. So, calling him "tee-dus" was being very generous.

It sounds better when you say "Tide- us", just like "chock- oh- bo" over "choke- oh- bo".

But I too find it annoying. Who doesn't?