Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: England 6-1 Iceland

Default England 6-1 Iceland

Well done to England for what was a great performance, play like that against the French and we might stand a chance!

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't follow euro soccer but I'm guessing England was a heavy favorite over Iceland. I suspect the French, despite their history, will not roll over so easily.

Exhibition game against Iceland isn't really something that shows where you stand.

I'm a fan of English football, I love premiership; been following it since little kid and I'm die hard Fulham fan, but I just don't like England's national team anymore as I just don't generally like players in it.

In my opinion, England's defence is merely average and their achilles' heel. It'll be tough against the likes of France...

Anything can happen in championship contests, as we remember how USA, Japan, S-Korea and turkey played in World Championsips. Euro championships are tougher though, as the average quality of teams is far better.
    ('-'*)/ - "sup"

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

England's national team is, at best, a disappointment. We go on and on and <i>on</i> about the players we have, and they don't even play as good as they should. I know I couldn't do any better, but considering the wages and hype around them, they could do better.

I wouldn't be surprised if England only got to the quarter finals in Euro 2004. Our best chance at a European competition was Euro '96, ah... those were the days.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

It was certainly a very good performance, though a lot of it can be attributed to Iceland's terrible defensive play. Certainly encouraging, after the Japan game.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

It will have filled the team with confidence, which is a good thing, and IF we beat France I think we can go all the way. Then again I'm an English optomist.

In all fairness it's actually very very very difficult to win a major football tournament. In 12 Euro Championships there have been 8 different winners, which shows how open the Championship is. Czech Republic in 96 and Denmark in 92 epitomised the openness of the tournament. The fact is you won't play any bad teams in the finals of a European Championship, and I will be happy if England get to the quarter finals frankly.

We go on and on and on about the players we have, and they don't even play as good as they should. I know I couldn't do any better, but considering the wages and hype around them, they could do better.
    The average wage of the Italians and the Spanish is higher than the English. When was the last time they won anything? I think winning 6-1 and showing such a fine display against the Icelandic, who are no pushover but also are no France, is great, a week before the big kick off. It doesn't show where we stand no, except much higher than Iceland, but it does give the players confidence going in to a very very big game against the French. Defence our Achilles Heel? Maybe. I don't think the back four going into Euro 2004 have been outstanding, like they were at the World Cup, but hopefully they will focus more for the tournament. Conceding soft goals is a bit of worry.

I'm really not supporting England.

I'll follow Euro 2004 as best I can, even though I'm American. And I won't see any games.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

England = Inconsistency.

However, I do wish them well.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

Only 4 defeats under Sven Goran Eriksson. Only one of those a competetive match.

England = Consistent results. Inconsistent performances.

That's more accurate.

Doc sark, i have to say though who have we played under erikson Germany and Brazil are the only two decent teams otherwise we've been squared off against leisctisnorgngoenbfdofdnbodp(???)
    Your sig is too hilarious and witty, thus i have removed it to protect the minds of all forum goers
    -The allways inspiring leeza

Is anybody else surrounded by cars with England flags sticking out of every corner? It's like half the country have decided to become visiting dignitaries or British ambassadors.

I didn't see the game, but 6-1 sounds good (just so long as you a coughing fit when naming the opposition)!

yeah the flags are begining to annoy me because i despise people who only become patriotic when the footballs on.
    Your sig is too hilarious and witty, thus i have removed it to protect the minds of all forum goers

Doc sark, i have to say though who have we played under erikson Germany and Brazil are the only two decent teams otherwise we've been squared off against leisctisnorgngoenbfdofdnbodp(???)
    That's not strictly true though is it really. Erikssons first game in charge was against the Spanish. We won 3-0, big Ugo Ehiogu got his first and probably last England goal, since then we have taken on Mexico, Holland (twice), Germany, Italy, Cameroon, Croatia, Argentina, Sweden (thrice), Nigeria, Denmark, Brazil, Portugal (twice), Turkey (twice) and in fairness Japan are a very good side too. Ranked 25 in the world. I was wrong about the number of defeats as well it's 6.

Yeah we have taken on a number of small footballing nations, mainly in qualifiers but there hasn't been any defeats to them. A couple of shaky draws, but still we topped our group for Euro 2004 and World Cup 2002, so it's all good.

and lets remember in the end it's not who wins or loses that matters, it's how drunk you get.