Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This game needs more dark, brooding tough guys.

Default This game needs more dark, brooding tough guys.

I was just thinking....

Its been so long since a new ff has come out with a really really really dark feel to it. I mean, reguardless of a dark storyline, it would be awesome to have a real badass cast of characters. it seems like with most ff games that are coming out lately, you see the characters, then you have to take an extra step to immerse yourself in the game without thinking the characters are stupid. like a good example is when someone plays ff7, and 8 as many have, and then 9 comes along, and its completely different. I guess all it takes is an open mind, but I would really love to see some other badass characters along the lines of cloud, vincent, squall, auron, ya know. but I guess my point is, ff12 doesnt look like its shaping up to be like that. with a main character who looks like jennifer aniston, lets just hope that maybe ff13 will have some cool characters.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I think I know what you're saying.

The UK cult series "Blake's 7" was a good example of the kind of characters I'd like to see. All 'badass' guys (rebellion leaders like Blake, hackers and general nasty guys like Avon, thieves like Vila, smugglers like Jenna etc) banding together to fight a greater evil (the corrupt Terran Federation, basically the government)

That said, I suppose FF7 was very close to that. The beginning anyway. A bunch of terrorists (Avalanche) blowing up reactors and killing lots of people, for the greater good of trying to eradicate Shinra.
    Last edited by Cloudane; 06-08-2004 at 12:16 AM.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I don't think you've read up much into the game. It is going to be dark, it's all about war. Balthear looks like he's going to be the next badass character you're looking for, and the newest character, Basshe seems like a dark character as well.

According to the front site, "The latest character is Basshe, a commoner of Dalmaska who rose in the military ranks to become a general. Basshe is a good leader who is very well-liked in the kingdom, but also he is surrounded by mystery and tragedy. When the King of Dalmaska is murdered, Basshe becomes the prime suspect. His character becomes even more cloudy when he negotiaties a surrender with the forces from the Kingdom of Arcadia."

Sounds like you've got some two characters that you might like there. But really, it's a little early to be making so many generalizations. We don't even know much about the game except for short little snippits.

well, even ff6 with its sprite characters has a dark storyline. I mean like, everything dark, with some cool fn characters.

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, i would definitley agree that Basch is "badass". Balthier too-he's already a main reason why I want to play this game-he looks so cool in that E3 trailer.

I understand what you're saying. I would be so excited if they came up with a much darker FF. I like that in anything (books, music, games), and with Square's abilities, I know they could make a dark story so appealing, and awesome-not that their games now aren't, but a different kind of awesome. people have been saying they want something different from the FF's we've been getting now, and this would definitley be different. It would be so fresh.

I'm praying that next FF will have a dark-haired guy as the main character, instead of some blondie-I'm getting kinda sick of that. I thought Caim in Drakengard was totally awesome-THAT"S badass to me.

I hate thinking about this, `cause it makes me sort of mad at Square for not doing this already.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I love how Basch was all set up to be a dark, brooding tough guy, and then we got this. His lacy undershirt is very nice as well.

Although, in favor of his proposed toughness, his facial structure does seem to have been based on that of Biff Tannen.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I love how everyone complains about something that hasnt even come out yet. Why dont you wait and play the game before you decide it isnt good enough?

As has already been said, there's always Basch, and just because Vaan doesnt look like some bad-ass, it doesnt mean he isnt. We'll have to wait and see. And, as usual, if these other games are the pinnacles of coolness, if they just dont get any better than Cloud, Squall, and Auron, then just keep playing those games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    I love how everyone complains about something that hasnt even come out yet. Why dont you wait and play the game before you decide it isnt good enough?
    He's more just saying he wants them to go in a darker direction, and I agree that looking at the two lead characters in the story that this looks like a repeat of FFX's Japanese surfers with bleached hair and "totally outrageous clothes, dude."

There's nothing wrong with complaining about what you see - after all, this is a Final Fantasy forum, and if he can't complain about that stuff here then we'd probably lose members. Bring on the complaints!

Oh, and I 100% agree that if this one isn't going to be darker than FFX and the like, then I'm going to be extremely disappointed. FFX had the most annoying lead character I've ever seen in an RPG. I hated having to be the person who "controlled" him, because I had no say in how he acted whatsoever. Bleh. Futuristic hippy.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Yes Tidus was a disgrace to men. Lets hope this main charicter is more macho....wait nevermind miss Aniston walks like she is in high heels

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB
    He's more just saying he wants them to go in a darker direction, and I agree that looking at the two lead characters in the story that this looks like a repeat of FFX's Japanese surfers with bleached hair and "totally outrageous clothes, dude."
    But, for all we know, this could be the darkest one yet. I'm not saying it is, but why dont we at least wait and see before we start complaining? The appearance of the characters doesnt mean much, many anime have very pretty characters and very dark storylines. That's just the way the Japanese media works. Hell, it's the way most media works.

I dont mind complaining, once we know what we're complaining about. But getting one's panties in a bunch about something that might happen seems silly.

Edit: Oh, and I do agree that I'd like a darker turn. But I wont complain that it isnt dark until I know it isnt dark. I mean, at a glance, I dont think VI was very dark, was it? If you just looked at the characters I mean. But it turned out to be a pretty gloomy story.
    Last edited by TheAbominatrix; 06-16-2004 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TasteyPies
    Yes Tidus was a disgrace to men. Lets hope this main charicter is more macho....wait nevermind miss Aniston walks like she is in high heels
    Us girly guys rule, thank you very much

Yeah, I too think that FF6 has the darkest feel to it. Just listen to the opening theme and the clothing of the characters.

Blog Entries

There need to be another Character who's like Shadow. He's the coldest and darkest of them all.

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know how a lot of people hated Squall because he was such an a$$hole, and "whatever", but that's why I love him so much. It's cool, and I wish that se would do more guys like that-even girls. I thought Lulu was cool.

In my opinion, from what I've seen so far, 12 looks fairly dark to me, besides Vaan. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I'm getting.

Default true

ur right omnislasher it seems meathed rough characters have left since FF8 with there scars and attitudes e.g BARRET! i was just lookin at a preview of FFXI and im realy startin 2 wonder if i want this game the character look more like a girl! and i thought tidus was bad.