Thread: The FFII appreciation thread

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

There is another thread on this topic in the FFI-IV Forum and it can be found here.

EDIT: Your post was pretty good so I'll merge them instead.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

yeah the gba version of FFII should be great, i can't wait to play soul of rebirth, and its portable i have always wanted a real FF for the road.

but still, think back to 1987 in Japan, when there were only one Final Fantasy. Square wanted to try to make something different from Dragon Quest, so they did the new leveling system. FFII was basically an experiment gone wrong...but it had really good music (Battle Theme, World map)
    U L T I M A T E

S P A M

G R O V E R

PLD75/BLU52/WAR51-Titan Server
    FFXI/Dojo Adventure Xanga

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Speaking of really good music, the music quality was very good in PSX. If they remake FF2 for GBA, the music quality will be crap again. I think WSC is quite close to GBA, and I've played FF4 on a WSC. While the graphics are slightly better than in SNES, the sound/music is a LOT worse.

Other than having good music, FF2 has many good things. The storyline is very good, dark and tragic. I've said this before, but I'll say it again: it reminds me of Star Wars Episode V: Empire Strikes Back. There are many great events and features in the story. Rebels vs. Empire, destructive warships and other imperial super weapons, towns being destroyed, people dying, a tyrant dark knight (SPOILER)who's related to one of the main characters et cetera. The Castle of Pandemonium is also a great idea.

FF2 also introduces many features typical to the FF series. Cid, Chocobos (and half of their trademark music), Leviathan, Dragon Knights, Ultima, Genji equipment, Beavers (a "prototype" version of Moogles), Behemoths, Lamias and many other things debuted in FF2. Not to mention the ability to save in the world map.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

MP also showed up for the first time in a FF game in FFII. FFI used a different system involving spell tiers, while FFII had a general MP pool. While the tier system was used again in FFIII, after that all FF games used the MP system found first in FFII.

FFII was the only game with spell levels past 5
    (ie: Cure6, Cure7, Cure8, Cure9, Cure10 so on so forth...)

EDIT: It was also the first FF to have a character die for the rest of the game
    U L T I M A T E

S P A M

G R O V E R

Eternal Challenge Seeker BBman108's Avatar

Default great game

This is a very good game. Anyone who says otherwise obviously has no commen sence or is a complete moron. The game was way better on the famicon in my opinion. Like with ff1 i just dont think its the same on origins, i mean it just dosent feel right, but i am just an old school fan i guess. Anyone else not like origins as much as the origional?

I think the main reason people dont like it is because it is so different from the oter ff games. Most of the people i know who dont like it are the people who started their ff experence with ff6 or ff7. They didnt like it because it was not what they were expecting from a final fantasy game. I on the other hand love it because I can see and appreciate the differences between 2 and the other games and I enjoy it because it isnt the same.

EDIT: Please do not call a group of people morons just because they do not like a certain game. -Murder

heh, sorry man
    Last edited by BBman108; 07-10-2004 at 07:45 AM.

lol, BBman
    U L T I M A T E

S P A M

G R O V E R

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

yes thanks Murder, i dont like being called a moron or having no common sense.

i,ll just say again i recognise the good stuff of ffII and praise it. but imho the flaws just destroy the game...
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

They really don't. It's still a lot of fun.

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

meh too be honest it was only AFTER i completed it i hated it. it did have some fun moments i confess...just with overriding painful moments
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

too many death scenes
    U L T I M A T E

S P A M

G R O V E R

I just bought Origins today, and I tried FF2 for a few minutes. I find it absolutely hilarious how the party runs across the screen after winning a battle. Those kids sure have some energy that I never saw back when I was a young lad.