Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Postseason Review

Default NBA Postseason Review

Yeah, I know the West isn't decided yet, but I'll make this thread before I go to bed.

I know the Mavs aren't going anywhere in the Playoffs. But ain't Marquis Daniels one awesome son of a gun? If the NBA fans here have seen him, admit it: this guy could be better than LeBron James. He went undrafted out of Auburn this year, and signed a 1-year free agent deal with the Mavericks. He didn't play for most of the year, but over the past 20 games or so, starting with an injury to Steve Nash, he has done incredibly. In his first career start at Point Guard, he had 14 points, 9 rebounds, and 9 assists. Since entering the starting lineup 11 games ago, he's averaged 18 points, 6 rebounds and 5 assists. He's averaged 26 points, 7 rebounds, and 6 assists over the past 4 games. This guy could be wonderful. You ask why he wasn't drafted? Don Nelson suggests it's because the way he looks - he looks lazy all the time, almost like he doesn't care about playing. But he cares. That's just the way he looks. He's also humble. Watch out for him in the playoffs, and in the free agent market next year. Alright, enough with the Marquis lovin'.

Bold means they win.

WEST
    #1 Minnesota vs. #8 Denver
    #2 LA Lakers vs. #7 Houston
    #3 San Antonio vs. #6 Memphis
    #4 Sacramento vs. #5 Dallas

EAST
    #1 Indiana vs. #8 Boston
    #2 New Jersey vs. #7 New York
    #3 Detroit vs. #6 Bucks
    #4 Miami vs. #5 Hornets

I'll do the later rounds after this round is over.

League MVP - Kevin Garnett
    Defensive MVP - Ben Wallace
    Sixth Man of the Year - Antawn Jamison
    Most Improved Player - Carlos Boozer
    Rookie of the Year - LeBron James
    Coach of the Year - Rick Carlisle

I think that's all the individual awards.

1st Team:
    F Kevin Garnett
    F Tim Duncan
    C Shaquille O'Neal
    G Ray Allen
    G Steve Nash

2nd Team:
    F Jermaine O'Neal
    F Peja Stojakovic
    C Yao Ming
    G Tracy McGrady
    G Stephon Marbury

3rd Team:
    F Dirk Nowitzki
    F LeBron James
    C Ben Wallace
    G Michael Redd
    G Jason Kidd

Nash for first team? You may be wondering why. Marbury's been great this year, but Nash's play lately has propelled him. Screw stats, he's a better point guard. And Kidd has missed too many games.
    Honorable Mentions: Baron Davis, Paul Pierce, Carmelo Anthony, Corey Maggette

All Rookie 1st Team (regardless of position, mind you)
    LeBron James
    Carmelo Anthony
    Dwyane Wade
    Kirk Hinrich
    Chris Bosh

All Rookie 2nd Team
    Marquis Daniels
    Jarvis Hayes
    Udonis Haslem
    Leandro Barbosa
    T.J. Ford (without injury)

Players I excluded due to missing games: Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson
    Last edited by Kirobaito; 04-16-2004 at 05:12 AM. Reason: I can't do tags worth crap!

As far as Playoffs go, I have all Top 4 west teams advancing before San Antonio and Minnesota meet in the Conference finals, where I have San Antonio advancing.

I wouldn't be surprised with Sacramento losing. The way they limped into the post-season is pathetic...in fact, I hope Sacramento loses...they pretty much had their division wrapped up before handing it over to LA on a silver platter by losing to Golden State. In the east(like it matters), I like Indiana or Detroit.

Tim Duncan will be finals MVP once again and collect his third trophy for a franchise that deserves it.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I'm from Denver and all I can say is that I am rooting against Devner. I watched them play a year a go and they were a clean team. This year they play dirty and now that they are doing good everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. But at the games the crowd is rude and constantly booing and doesn't understand how basketball works. So I want Denver to lose so all of these people will jump off of the Nuggets bandwagon.
    Figaro Castle

I don't think that you rooting against them will make them lose to Minnesota. I'm pretty sure that that's all worked out by itself.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Very true.

I just like reminding people around here that the Nuggets suck.
    Figaro Castle

i think carmelo is going to get the rookie of the year, he had just about the same numbers as lebron, but the nuggets are in the playoff, and the cavs arent.
    SIg removed for exceeding 250 pixel height

I once used that reasoning, muchacho, but then I realized something: if Carmelo Anthony played for the Cleveland Cavaliers, would they be in the playoffs?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The Kings have looked terrible theese past months. If they think they can win a championship with the method they're using now they're crazy. Webber obviously isn't 100% so why is he still the number 1 scoring option? Jeez, how many losses does it take before you realize Webb should be used to set up the pass to Peja or Bibby. Anyway, beating Dallas in the first round is no easy task. Any further would be a miracle, but miracles can happen. The team that torched LA a few nights ago needs to show up for at least 3 more games.

I wouldn't mind seeing Minnesota win, SA and LA are boring because they always win. The East is a joke even though Indiana would be a decent team in the West, like a 5 or 6 seed. Only 2-3 months left until we have a new champion.

At least these games between Sac and Dallas will be action packed.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I'm sure that any problems the Kings may be having offensively will be solved soon enough. After all, they are playing the Mavericks.

I wouldn't be too surprised if LeBron and Carmelo end up sharing the award. I believe Kidd and Grant Hill did as well in their rookie seasons. I do finally think it is official to say this: LeBron lived up to the hype and THEN some. Being left off the All-Star Team was a travesty. Granted, it was probably because the NBA wanted the Rookie-Sophmore game to have some flair, but I think LeBron is definitely going to be one of the 5 best players of the next decade.

Melo had a nice season, but I was turned off by his huddle tantrum, a la Scottie Pippin. Yes, you're a great player, but you're not a team alone. You can't pout if you don't take every shot. He'll have to learn that before he truly becomes a great player. In that same vain, Kobe is as good as gone in LA and I say, good riddance. He's another great player who still needs an attitude adjustment. Sure, you may be "sending a message" to your teammates, but in a game, you play your best, not just because you feel like it.

I'd love to see The Big Ticket, KG win a title. He's by far my favorite player in the league, and finally winning that title and showing that he's probably the second best player in the league, slimly behind Duncan, can only help the NBA.

I also predict Iverson is gone from Philly, no matter what the GM says. Perhaps Kobe and Iverson switch teams? That would be interesting, but unlikely.

I think Sloan will win coach of the year. MUCH deserving. He's definitely the most underrated coach in the NBA. For 18 years, he's led the Jazz to the playoffs and nearly did it again with at best, a farm team for the NBA. However, Hubie Brown, and Ricky C of Indiana also deserve recognition.

KG wins MVP
    Ben Wallace or perhaps Theo Ratliff win Defensive Player of Year
    Sixth Man: Maybe Jamison, but how about Brad Miller?
    Most Improved Player: Boozer, or perhaps Zach Randolph
    Rookie: LeBron and Melo
    Coach: Sloan

"this guy could be better than LeBron James."

That might be a bit too much praise for the kid. Sure, he's a nice story, but he didn't put those stats up for a whole season, nor did he have to carry the team for the majority of the season. Plus, going in undrafted, he had zero hype or expectation. Daniels is a nice addition, but would you really build a team around him or LeBron? I'll admit it myself, I wasn't sold on James going into the season. I still don't think so many high schoolers going pro is a good thing. However, LeBron truly can be the next Magic Johnson. He loves to pass, and isn't all about himself, but rather attempts to actually play a team game. If he works on his jumpshot, he'll be First Team All NBA, and a potential MVP for years to come... that is, if he continues to develop. If he just gets content, then all bets are off.

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain
    Melo had a nice season, but I was turned off by his huddle tantrum, a la Scottie Pippin. Yes, you're a great player, but you're not a team alone. You can't pout if you don't take every shot. He'll have to learn that before he truly becomes a great player.
    Amen! He's one of the main reasons I hate the Nuggets now. Everytime he's interviewed about a Nuggets win, it's because he helped the team or carried the team to victory. And the other night when they were playing Sacramento, he got that migraine and acted like a two-year-old. Whenever Denver was down he was rubbing his eyes and hanging his head, but whenever Denver was iup and scoring, he was bouncing around and giving high-fives. That and he throws a temper-tamtrum everytime he gets a foul. He definitely is the definition of a martyr and a prima-donna.
    Figaro Castle

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain
    I wouldn't be too surprised if LeBron and Carmelo end up sharing the award. I believe Kidd and Grant Hill did as well in their rookie seasons. I do finally think it is official to say this: LeBron lived up to the hype and THEN some. Being left off the All-Star Team was a travesty. Granted, it was probably because the NBA wanted the Rookie-Sophmore game to have some flair, but I think LeBron is definitely going to be one of the 5 best players of the next decade.
    To be honest, those 2 are a bit overated. Look at their FG%, 41%. That's pretty pathetic really. Anyone can put 20 a night if they jack up enough shots. 90% of the teams in the NBA don't play zone anyways...imagine if they did. Michael Jordan had an above 50% FG% before joing with the Wizards. Only centers and power forwards should have precentages that big. So yeah...Carmelo should get it...but I can see why they were left off the All-Star team. They should work on their jump shots before they can make the All-STar game.

Articles

Wait, wait, wait. . . when did Miami make the playoffs as a 4-seed? Aren't they supposed to suck?

I said that Daniels could be as good as LeBron. Not that he is. And Brad Miller started the first 3/4 of the season. He can't be considered. Jamison has started 2 games for the Mavs.

You actually did say he could be better than, but that's really besides the point. If Daniels puts those numbers up all season long, then I'd start to consider him in the same company.

As for FG%, really, certain players have no choice but to shoot. I said that LeBron must work on his jumpshot to really take that next step, but who is he going to pass to? Boozer is a grinder, Big Z is often in foul trouble. I agree if he maintains a 41% for his career, he won't get much better, but didn't Jordan's rookie year have a similar FG% if I'm not mistaken?

What's the requirements for 6th man? If Miller doesn't fit it, Jamison would be a fine choice too.

Strider - Maimi snuck up all of the sudden and began to play decent ball. However, they aren't going any further than the second round, they can't compete with Indiana, Detroit, or a healthy New Jersey. Still, a nice story.

Finally, it looks like the gap is finally closing in the NBA as Indiana actually posted the best overall record, including a very good record against Western conference teams. If they can make it to the Finals, anything is possible. Still favoring the West, but an upset is more likely than in past years.

Take care all. Games start very soon, can't wait!