Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Originality.

Quote Originally Posted by noname
    Originality is over-rated IMO.
    That's the silliest thing I've seen on this forum, IMO.

'Jeff Buckley' was a very original artist. Or 'The Doors'.

EDIT: Oh how could I forget 'The Tea Party', they have alot of originality, loads of different instruments too, a very talented band.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Uhm. Hmm. Jamamamamamameroquai (or however you spell it)? Maaaaaybe Crowded House. OH OH OH OH Veggie Tales. Oh yes. Definitely.

Spice Girls too. I'm pretty sure they were a first for that kind of thing. Original manufactured overpopped girl band.

Elvis.

Avril Lavigne ?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

Evanescence and Likkin Park

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Kirobaito
    Director: Quinton Tarantino. No one is that original.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinoabella
    - Quentin Tarantino
    I seriously cherish the man's work, but Quentin is probably the most derivative director in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinity
    Evanescence and Likkin Park
    Goth metal with a hot chick singer... done already (The Gathering, Lacuna Coil, etc...)

Nu-metal with DJ/Rapping... done already (Limp Bizkit)

And even besides that... I fail to see one fresh or original thing either of those bands have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Chzn8r
    Goth metal with a hot chick singer... done already (The Gathering, Lacuna Coil, etc...)

Nu-metal with DJ/Rapping... done already (Limp Bizkit)

And even besides that... I fail to see one fresh or original thing either of those bands have done.
    >.< I hate it when people describe Evanescence as "goth metal with a hot chick singing". They can barely even classify as rock. I think the main reason some people see Evanescence as original is that their music kind of defies category. It's too soft to be rock or metal, too heavy to be classical with lyrics... they pull from all musical genres and are something kind of on their own. (I don't see any similarities between Ev and The Gathering or Lacuna Coil aside from possibly the lyrics and chick singers.) But I agree that their music isn't really original, I just think that the way they approach it is different than most musicians.

And I wanna have some of whatever you're smoking if you think Linkin Park sounds like Limp Bizkit. ^.^

Mmmm. Genre defying... or not.
    They are a hard rock band (though in today's popular music scene, it's basically considered metal)... however you want to narrow it down. Every metal band does ballads... a song like My Immortal does not make them borderline classical. Evanescence (am I ever gonna spell that right) does not approach their music in any specifically new way. Sure they aren't a rip-off band, but the main reason they're so popular is not because of their originality (though I suppose this is the first huge band of their type in recent years), but because they've gotten their catchy songs to the radio- which propels any popular act nowadays.

No, Linkin Park does not sound like Limp Bizkit. They aren't bringing anything new to popular music though, as rap-metal was popular before them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Ooh, The Streets. And Petshop Boys (West End Girls, aka the first British reply to rap music).
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

hendrix

also, i find alot of bad religions stuff to be pretty origional. stuff like sinister rouge, epiphany, sorrow. you dont hear stuff like that everyday.
    Last edited by nik0tine; 07-03-2004 at 08:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB
    Ooh, The Streets. And Petshop Boys (West End Girls, aka the first British reply to rap music).
    Yeah the streets are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyn
    And I wanna have some of whatever you're smoking if you think Linkin Park sounds like Limp Bizkit. ^.^
    Then lets bring the fact that every single one of thier songs sounds the same, except for different sample int he background, to the table. The formula for a Linkin park song: rapping/screaming/rapping/screaming/actual singing/screaming mixed with rapping

BAM. Instant Linkin Park hit single.

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB
    And Petshop Boys (West End Girls, aka the first British reply to rap music).
    Comparing that to rap is like comparing a grape to a watermelon.