Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: FF8! What's Wrong With It?

Default FF8! What's Wrong With It?

I believe FF8 is a great game! However I believe it had the potential to do better. What do you think? WHAT'S WRONG WITH FF8?

A guy with a big sword which is same size as him!
    A teenager whose mad about lions!
    An annoying monkey!
    A gal in dodgey robes!
    Whats next a woman dressed like a rabbit with a bow?
    That's Final Fantasy For You!

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

The general consensus is that VIII had very little character development. It focused on two very annoying and bland main characters, and shoved everyone else to the back. The storyline seemed pretty lame to me.

I do enjoy the general game play, and Triple Triad, but the rest of it just isnt up to Final Fantasy standards, in my opinion.

everyone thinks its the worst and it is but its still a great game just not as good as the others but i love the draw and junction system

What is wrong with it...?
    I say nothing! And there is nothing wrong with magic as many people say... Ultima still does 9999 damage... And so does flare, and you don't have to even draw the magic, just play some cards, lots of different monsters can be refined into rare magic...

there was huge character developement in this game, it was just a little more subtle than say ff6. also, every single character didnt have to much developement, like Irvine, but he was retarted anyway. squall goes through huge changes, and the story is more about him and rinoa than it is the 'bad guys' in my opinion at least. it personally is one of my favorite FF games of all time, and it was what got me started in the whole series. there is nothing wrong with FF8. i even think it was one of the better games in the series.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think drawing magic took too long and the characters weren't cool enough. Otherwise this game wasn't that bad.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I found nothing wrong with FF8..I thought it was the best game out of the entire series!
    Last edited by Rusty; 06-19-2004 at 04:17 PM.

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

*Spoilers*

It matters by what kind of person is playing it. Personally, I enjoyed the storyline. At least it had some creativity. Ultemecia didn't want to just take over the world, but all of time. Everything fell in place, IMO, and I think that each character had important roles.

Although, Squall and Rinoa were supposed to be the center of attention, for love was the main theme of Final Fantasy Eight. Also, I thought that characters did develop, and at the right times. Squall had an explained past, and had reasons for his depression, and I thought he was an extremely cool character, along with Seifer.

Triple Triad was the best kind of card game I had played, although Final Fantasy VIII didn't have any mini games besides that and the Chocobo one.

The gameplay was good too, but some people found drawing a tedious task. IMO they would use GF's nonstop when actually attacks and magic are way stronger.

It depends on the person, but I thought there was nothing wrong with FFVIII.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine
    there was huge character developement in this game, it was just a little more subtle than say ff6. also, every single character didnt have to much developement, like Irvine, but he was retarted anyway. squall goes through huge changes, and the story is more about him and rinoa than it is the 'bad guys' in my opinion at least. it personally is one of my favorite FF games of all time, and it was what got me started in the whole series. there is nothing wrong with FF8. i even think it was one of the better games in the series.
    There's a difference between character 'development' and character 'changes'. Squall changes, not develops.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Not having played FF2-6 I can't be sure whether this is true, but I believe perhaps the idea of making the game revolving around a bunch of teenagers probably aided the bland characters and wish-washy character development. It was like watching a bunch of kids in high school actually, which is why I think it is the age of the characters.

Anyway, in terms of actual gaming, it was very enjoyable. Draw/junction system might be a bit odd, but it's not something you can't get over (actually I was surprised it didn't run on MP system).

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

i love this game. yes there are some huge flaws in the characters and storyline but all in all these problems are no where near as bad as the game u SHOULD be hating...ffII. every time ffVIII is dissed i will stand up 4 it and direct u 2 the location of true darkness...
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

IMO, the game didn't really give too much history of characters other than Squall. Yes, they did explain about the group of peoples going to the orphanage, but then it's like there's this big gap between the time when they were at the orphanage and then when they went to Balamb.

I found that I liked the overall stroy of FF8 and everything did seem to fit together. I mostly liked how all of the main characters were connected somehow.

I think that using draw points was a pain, but it's better than being constantly on the lookout for ethers to restore MP. And It's good that everyone can use the same types of magic (meaning, there aren't ONLY black mages, white mages, etc.) and there are more options when it comes to the characters limit breaks.

Now that I've told you my opinion, I'm going to run and hide before anyone can disagree with me :P
    *laughs maniacally*

~Innocent Evilness~
    The new Final Fantasy! Final Fantasy Quiet? We shall call it... FFQ! No music, no sounds, no voices!!!
    ~random Serena-ism ^_^
    Received moombas from Siric!

Please visit my site! Anime Humor!
    Peanut Butter Jelly Time!!!:banana:

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

What makes this game weird is that while it IS an epic quest to save the world (like all other FFs), the main plot is drawn away from that. Instead, what we have is a love story set in a FF world. I think that's not a bad thing, but it was so poorly executed. (SPOILER)Squall spends the majority of the first 2 discs berating or ignoring Rinoa. Then out of nowhere he's all head-over-heels for her, and there was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING THAT TRIGGERED THIS. That being said, I think it's very possible that this is only due to a bad translation, or it just needs some fine tuning from the script to bring out some of the facets that would make the love story actually good. That and MAKE THE TEXT BOXES SOME COLOR OTHER THAN GREY!!!!!! DEAR LORD IT MADE MY EYES BLEED!!!!!

I agree, gray is such a dull color.

~Innocent Evilness~
    The new Final Fantasy! Final Fantasy Quiet? We shall call it... FFQ! No music, no sounds, no voices!!!
    ~random Serena-ism ^_^
    Received moombas from Siric!

Please visit my site! Anime Humor!
    Peanut Butter Jelly Time!!!:banana:

In answer to the question....NOT MUCH REALLY! FF8 was awesome, one of my favourite games of all time. I loved the story and the characters were all awesome. The focus on the love was cool as well, much better than having to do a million and one flashbacks to find out the history of a character I didnt really care about. Plus it will always be better than FFIX! So meh. :P